Why become a member? ×

amps for a double bass

nigel on bass

Hello !
can anyone help me in deciding what amp I should buy for an upright double bass ,thinking of the Markbass ,as it is portable and lightwight ,but now looking at the Ahdown little giant 1000 , it seems to have good comments and it is damn cheap for what it has to offer , is there any down sides to it , or is there another alternative ? :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='nigel on bass' post='983914' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:00 PM']Hello !
can anyone help me in deciding what amp I should buy for an upright double bass ,thinking of the Markbass ,as it is portable and lightwight ,but now looking at the Ahdown little giant 1000 , it seems to have good comments and it is damn cheap for what it has to offer , is there any down sides to it , or is there another alternative ? :)[/quote]

I am only venturing into double bass myself so my opinion may count for nothing but I would recommend Markbass. I was at a gig where the bassist was using a Markbass and it sounded sweet.

Thats just me but best check with seasoned doublers on here for their valued opinion.

Good luck

You can spend a fortune on "double bass" amps like AER but in reality you can get a great sound out of any good amp and cab. I've seen guys using Eden, Orange and Markbass. I'm sure many others would work just as well.

But, I would imagine your money will be wasted if don't first get the best pickup you can afford.

If you go int the Double Bass/EUB part of this forum there were a couple of recent threads about amps for DBs. A number of alternatives are discussed in these. I ended up buying a MarkBass CMD121P for my DB on the advice of several BC'ers and it sounds great.

[quote name='casapete' post='994930' date='Oct 20 2010, 03:20 PM']Depending on how loud you need it, Gallien Krueger MB150 series have been a favourite of DB players for a few years.
Great little things, and s/h ones often crop up on eaby etc.[/quote]

Try before you buy. I don't think they are very good and that double bass players buy them because they are light not because they sound good. I think they lack any depth at all and do not deliver any real bass response so would avoid. I use my Eden Metro and it sounds great.

Avoid the Ashdown! While it's good on paper, there is a reason why it's such a low price. Poor build quality, reliability issues and a piss poor input gain to boot! Best avoided to be honest.

Bassists have so much choice now for small and powerful yet portable amps, it's simply mind boggling. It's certainly try before you buy.

If you've mentioned the Ashdown I'm guessing that something cost effective is the order of the day. Have a search for a used Phil Jones Briefcase. It may not have the volume you need, but the quality is excellent and will also be a good investment. The Mark Bass CMD121P combos are indeed exceptional amps, but getting one at a good price might prove tricky. Genz Benz may prove to be a good choice, but again they don't come cheap.

I might I suggest the Ibanez Promethean? I own one, and they seem to be gaining much love on here, and with good reason. A very well built 10" combo with loads of power on tap. The head is detachable (like a Walkabout Scout) so you can pair with any cab if needed. The head will go to 500 watts. There's also a great gig bag option for it, so it's easy to move about etc. They're coming in new at £425 approx, which is incredible value for money for an amp that is equally capable as any Mark bass, PJB, GB amp etc - and at the fraction of the cost. There have been several threads on here discussing the amp, so go do a search and get reading :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='zero9' post='1064584' date='Dec 20 2010, 01:21 PM']Depending on what type of pup you use on the double bass, you may or may not need a pre-amp depending on the amp you intend to get/use.[/quote]

+1

You may also need certain things like a notch filter for controlling feedback.

Basically you have a choice between getting those things on a decent standalone preamp like the Fishman pro, or getting the same features on the amp by getting something like an EA Doubler.

If you get a good preamp, especially with a good eq, I would say your choice of amp is a lot wider.