Why become a member? ×

Perfect companion for a Schroeder?

pandathe3

So, i have just purchased my 112+L Schroeder! Gigged it saturday and it was great! So much power for such a little box! However the tone im getting from my Eden is too smooth for me, i try and push the gain but it doesnt like that one bit!

So im on the look out for a new amp, something that can get me a nice deep bass tone but with a little push can get me a nice forceful slap tone.

Ive just joined a cover band, we play funk/soul stuff, so thats why i need the range of tones.

Any ideas? Cheets!

I would do a search on Talkbass for posts by KJung relating to Schroeder as he has extensive experience with them. They're still something of a rarity over here.

The amps he always recommends to partner the 115+L are Markbass, which he describes as an ideal match due to the voicing of the amp and the EQ points. I imagine the 112+L has a similar voicing to the 115+L

I owned a 1212R, and used it with both a markbass LM2 and a Gallien Krueger 1001RBII.

Out of those two I would definitely recommend the GK. The LM2 was very warm (even with the biting tone of the 1212) but the GK gave a great growl and slapping through it sounded fantastic!

Haha! Thats what everyone over on talkbass thinks too!

Ashame a new LMII is just a bit over my price range. Ill have to keep an eye out on the sale page!

For my price range (well quite abit under actually!) are ther LH500 and the little giant 1000 (£250!!??), theres also a new amp from Bugera.

Im really liking the tube frontend and general simpleness to the LH500, they are missing a control though..... a GAIN control to push that tube.....I also have an EHX Tube (cyro) waiting to be put into it!

But for sheer power to size ratio the little giant is even cheaper to! Anyone compared this to a LMII? Obviously the LM would be the choice but the little giant is one of the cheapest mini heads out there (worth buying anyway!)

The bugera is 550watts and the preamp has 4 tubes, graphic EQ... Sounds intresting for about the same price as the little giant. Havnt heard too much about the company however. Could be another Behringer, or harley benton haha!

Edited by pandathe3

I've got a 1212L and use it with an ampeg SVTII pre and 1.2KW power amp (although the cab is modded to take 2 inputs) . It sounds great :) Though I've had to learn to play with soft fingers...

I've used a couple of diff heads with it. I did like the GK RBII I tried with it - but it didn't have anywhere near the evenness in response I can get with my rig. My 1212 sounds more like the 6x10s I've used with my PA/Pre now it's split stereo.

Not used a LM at all ever. Aren't the thunderfunks supposed to be good with them too?

I'd be interested about the TC 450s. I reckon they'd have the headroom and good tone shaping. Alhtough I've had some bad experiences with D class amps.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='pandathe3' post='980864' date='Oct 7 2010, 07:33 PM']Havnt heard too much about the company however. Could be another Behringer, or harley benton haha![/quote]
you just hit the nail on the head, bugera is actually part of behringer, just rebranded to try and shed some of the bad notions associated with the name.

[quote name='pandathe3' post='980864' date='Oct 7 2010, 07:33 PM']For my price range (well quite abit under actually!) are ther LH500 and the little giant 1000 (£250!!??), theres also a new amp from Bugera.

But for sheer power to size ratio the little giant is even cheaper to! Anyone compared this to a LMII? Obviously the LM would be the choice but the little giant is one of the cheapest mini heads out there (worth buying anyway!)[/quote]

I'd say save an extra £120 or so and get a used LMII over an Ashdown mini head. Bugeras are Behringhers aren't they?

From reports on here the LG series sound a bit underpowered, something about a weak pre section was floating about a while ago. I reckon the sensitive Schro's would make a good job of it though
Also the LG1000 needs 2 x 4ohm loads to get full output, with a single 4ohm Schroeder cab you'd get 500w. And going off reports that's a significantly quieter 500w than the LMII

Well i think i may be well on the look out for a LMII. It would go perfect for a mini rig with my 112. How would anyone rate the LM 250? Think those 250watts are LOUD watts? I dont think that'd be enough power though!

If i get an oppertunity in the near future i will be grabbing a 1210L! And once again the LM would be perfect!

[quote name='pandathe3' post='981378' date='Oct 8 2010, 11:00 AM']Well i think i may be well on the look out for a LMII. It would go perfect for a mini rig with my 112. How would anyone rate the LM 250? Think those 250watts are LOUD watts? I dont think that'd be enough power though!

If i get an oppertunity in the near future i will be grabbing a 1210L! And once again the LM would be perfect![/quote]

With a good cab the wattage rating isn't that important, a few folk on here use the LM250. The actual different in decibels won't be that much (watts don't equal volume!)

I've used one side of my Superfly (250w @ 4ohms) with my 1212r and it was fine

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and I both have LMII's. He has a Schroeder 1212 and I have a 1x12 with the angled speaker and no tweeter. I think the LMII goes well with the Schroeder's but can be a bit too honky needing some more EQ than I'm used to sometimes. Like MythSte I found the Schroeder sounds great with a GK 1001RBII, really a magical combo and very loud. My favorite cab for the LMII is an Aguilar 1x12 which is my main rig for one cab, when I use two cabs I add the Schroeder.

The LMII weighs a 1/3 of what the GK does and that's a big selling point for me, even more than the GK sounding a bit better.