Why become a member? ×

A couple of questions to those who play/played in a tribute band

Linus27

To those who play in a tribute band, can you answer a couple of questions for me as its something I know very little about but could be interesting in doing.

What band/artist do you cover?

Are you pro or just for fun?

How many gigs do you get a year?

What type of gigs do you do – pubs, clubs, weddings, private parties, festivals etc?

Are the gigs packed or various?

Do you have an agent or do you manage yourselves?

Do you act and dress the part or just play the songs?

Its something I am thinking about in the future but don't really know anything about it apart from doing two depping gigs for a U2 tribute band. Any tips and advice very much appreciated. Thanks

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='977244' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:39 PM']Hi Michael.

We had a bit of a discussion here a little while ago. Although not exactly what your asking some good points were raised.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103757"]Backing a tribute artist[/url][/quote]

Thanks buddy :) Hope you are well, I will PM sometime soon to catch up.

[quote name='Linus27' post='977216' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:18 PM']What band/artist do you cover?

[b]I've played in tributes to Stereophonics,Foo Fighters and a couple of occasional Elvis gigs[/b]

[b]Pro[/b]

[b]We did at least 2 or 3 every week[/b]

What type of gigs do you do – pubs, clubs, weddings, private parties, festivals etc?

[b]We did a lot of Chicago Rocks and the like,but we played a lot of established clubs as well.We did a few festivals and a bunch of private
functions aswell[/b]

[b]Generally the gigs were very well attended,although there were exceptions[/b]

[b]We worked through a few agents,but also booked gigs direct[/b]

[b]We didn't out and out copy the band,but we tried to convey their general vibe[/b][/quote]

Personally I don't do it and wont do it..although.. there is a dep job round here I'd do if it came up but that is for the guy whose act it is not the guy who act it is based on. Local lad, done good, X Factor etc, but is still the same guy ..
Done plenty of gigs prior, and would do it again a I call him a muso friend.

I wouldn't be interested in tributes generally as there is no one whose catalogue I would really like to play at the exclusion of all else..
Too many good songs by too many good artists to cover, and I am happy with that position.

Having said that...if a 'Stevie Wonder' or 'Prince' came along..???

[quote name='Linus27' post='977249' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:47 PM']Thanks buddy :) Hope you are well, I will PM sometime soon to catch up.[/quote]

No problem, catch up with you soon.

For what its worth my old Wellah band was more a tribute to Weller's song writing than trying to look like him so that doesn't really count.

I quite fancy forming a Rock Bitch tribute band though :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='977216' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:18 PM']What band/artist do you cover?
[b]Not really a full on tribute band, we are a tribute to the electro and new romantic movements of the '80s, although some people seem to think that includes Lionel Richie.... :)
Also, going to do a Johnny Cash thing with the same singer, as a duo, me on lead guitar, him on rhythm and vox.
[/b]

[b]Mostly just for a bit of a laugh and some extra cash, might turn pro with it in a year or so, you still have to putin the graft even when it's a tribute[/b]

[b]Out pretty much every weekend, at least once, sometimes get the hat-trick, not often mind[/b]

[b]Mostly pubs at the moment (year one, do the sh!t gigs) gradually getting more weddings/functions/corporate stuff now though, and aiming at the holiday camps next year (shameless I know...)[/b]

[b]Pretty much packed, get the odd dog of a night, but even then the small crowds are appreciative, and mostly there to see us (surprised me as well, couple came from the other side of the county to see us again, with only one week between gigs)[/b]

[b]Just talking to agents now, as we are a bit sick of doing all the haggling ourselves, and it's the only way onto the circuit we're aiming at.[/b]

[b]Dressed up like fools sadly/b][/quote]

What band/artist do you cover?
[b]"KISS"..... and in another tribute band - "Madness"
Coming soon - depping with a 'Dio' tribute and forming a 'Chicago' tribute[/b]

[b]Semi-Pro[/b]

[b]Approx 20 - 25[/b]

[b]Clubs, Academies, Uni's, Weddings, Private Parties, Corporate Events, Festivals etc[/b]

[b]150 - 10,000 people[/b]

[b]Self managed[/b]

[b]The full monty. If it's just playing the songs it's a COVERS band NOT a tribute...[/b]

[quote name='Linus27' post='978169' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:50 AM']Thanks cetera. When you say semi pro, that means that you make a living out of it but not quite enough to be fully supportive and need another form of income yes???[/quote]

Linus, I make some 'pocket money' from it, that is all.
I have a full time job... :)

[quote name='cetera' post='978098' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:07 AM']Do you act and dress the part or just play the songs?
[b]The full monty. If it's just playing the songs it's a COVERS band NOT a tribute...[/b][/quote]

which could actually mean any old street clothes, depending on who the tribute is.

I dont see many acts these days that make an effort to get dressed up. I guess that makes it easier for Tribute acts.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='978188' date='Oct 5 2010, 12:06 PM']which could actually mean any old street clothes, depending on who the tribute is.[/quote]

Indeed....
Obviously you can't expect every band member to be a lookalike... but some thought given to clothes/famous moves/choreography and overall presentation is required. As is sounding as CLOSE to the original act as possible.