Why become a member? ×

E-Bay Advice - Poss Scammer Bidding?

bassatnight

Folks,

I am selling a bass on good old E-Bay, and have noticed that someone who appears a little dodgy has started bidding on my bass.

He is a new user (signed up Friday - the day I posted the item) and has ignored my E-Mails thus far. His user name is also strange (not fair to reveal it) but needless to say it sounds
dodgy and straight out of the scam book.

I have stated in the advert that I won't accept bids from new users (long story) but despite this he continues to bid and his bidding is erratic to say the least he seems to make bids faster than is humanly possible or typeable!.

I guess I am more concerned at him not replying to my E-mails.

What do you think?

I think you can add him to a 'don't let these users bid on my stuff' list too.

I had to add an exemption from someone in France once as my default is not to ship outside of the country, and I remember seeing an option.

I'm pretty sure you can set your preferences to not allow [i]anyone[/i] with < 5 feedback to bid as well.

Edited by dougal

[quote name='bassatnight' post='976179' date='Oct 3 2010, 05:23 PM']....He is a new user (signed up Friday - the day I posted the item) and has ignored my E-Mails thus far. His user name is also strange (not fair to reveal it) but needless to say it sounds dodgy and straight out of the scam book. What do you think?....[/quote]
I think I'm surprised that you want to hide the identity of a scammer. Give us the protection of knowing who this guy is.

[quote name='chris_b' post='977057' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:35 PM']I think I'm surprised that you want to hide the identity of a scammer. Give us the protection of knowing who this guy is.[/quote]

I disagree somewhat - there's no proof that this guy IS a scammer, though it does sound like he very well might be! In there situations it's always better to give the benefit of the doubt, as you never know and it would be horribly unfair to drag someone's name through the mud if they ARE simply an innocent buyer with bad taste in user names.

Cancel the bids. If you've stated that you won't accept bids from newbie ebayers then you've covered your back with ebay. I've sold a LOT of stuff on ebay, and it really is better to be safe than sorry!! If he wants it that badly he'll email you. If he does really want it and you do decide to sell to him in the end, make sure it's cash in hand collection only, stops him from reversing the charge through paypal.

I've had this happen many times - they're not necessarily scammers, I'm inclined to think they're usually bored little tossers who just want to bugger someone about for no particular reason.

Just cancel all their bids and add their Ebay user name to your blocked bidder list, & forget about it. If they're persistent & create another Ebay account to persist in hassling you, rinse & repeat, as they say.

Jon.

Rinse and repeat,I like that! :)
I sold a really cheap bass on the bay and got a answer phone message, On my home phone! From the winning bidder saying the guy that brought his has fell through and now he cant afford mine! (He had already paypal'd me) I decided to play tough and told him thats unfair on me as he would just be passing the problem on to me and asked him how annoyed was he when his fell through, Anyway his was for about £30 or something so I said he should tell his parents to lend him the cash and see who they thought was at fault!? Turned out he really liked the bass and sent me a message after saying he was sorry for trying to mess me about,Maybe a lesson learnt?

Edited by stingrayPete1977