Why become a member? ×

Markbass tweeter box

BassBen

[quote name='BassBen' post='972658' date='Sep 30 2010, 08:37 AM']Hi guys,

Quick question really.

I run a markbass little iii with barefaced compact. If I wanted to add a little harsh highend to cut through the mix can I connect a markbass tweeter box to the speaker jack on the amp?

Would I damage anything by doing it?

Cheers,[/quote]
I'd use a midrange driver, just as Alex does in the Big One.

[quote name='BassBen' post='972658' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:37 PM']....I run a markbass little iii with barefaced compact. If I wanted to add a little harsh highend to cut through the mix....[/quote]
Alex has already thought of that,

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm[/url]

I think the Midget was designed to compliment the Compact and do exactly what you want, but properly. This solution also gives you a small cab for rehearsals and smaller gigs.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='972723' date='Sep 30 2010, 02:20 PM']i had the exact same thought process. The brightbox would be great but weighs about the same as the compact again at least.[/quote]

I was about to say you were a big jessie but just lifted my one and you're probably right :)

You wouldn't want it - its a proper man's speaker :lol:

[quote name='BassBen' post='972706' date='Sep 30 2010, 02:08 PM']Have you heard one?

I just want to add a little sharpness to the sound.[/quote]

No, I haven't heard one but I'm not very keen on the sound of piezos and fifty quid strikes me as a bit excessive. You may well be happy with it, but if you can't hear one first, make sure you can return it for a refund if you don't like it.

Ok I will have a look around.

I love the compact good size, weight with loads thump but I just wonderd whether there was a cheap way to get that sharp sound without buying a whole another cab.

If I had the money I would add a t'midget but funds don't allow.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

[quote name='BassBen' post='972747' date='Sep 30 2010, 09:35 AM']So what are the pros and cons to using the MarkBass tweeter box?[/quote]Tweeters and fifteens result in a response hole over an octave wide between where the woofer stops and the tweeter begins, and that's on-axis. Off-axis the gap is closer to two octaves, and it's those two octaves that are most critical to tone. Fully two thirds of the tweeter frequency range is above where it offers any benefit with bass. For that matter tweeters and tens or twelves aren't all that good a match either, unless said tweeters operate down to at least 2kHz, and few do. That doesn't say that tweeters bring nothing to the table, but mid drivers bring much more.
The primary reason why tweeters are offered instead of midrange drivers is cost.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='972924' date='Sep 30 2010, 05:03 PM']Tweeters and fifteens result in a response hole over an octave wide between where the woofer stops and the tweeter begins, and that's on-axis. Off-axis the gap is closer to two octaves, and it's those two octaves that are most critical to tone. Fully two thirds of the tweeter frequency range is above where it offers any benefit with bass. For that matter tweeters and tens or twelves aren't all that good a match either, unless said tweeters operate down to at least 2kHz, and few do. That doesn't say that tweeters bring nothing to the table, but mid drivers bring much more.
The primary reason why tweeters are offered instead of midrange drivers is cost.[/quote]

From a bassists point of view Bill, Could it be said that tweeters could be "enough" to add sparkle to slap pieces if your happy with the overall tone of say a single 15?

[quote name='MythSte' post='972945' date='Sep 30 2010, 12:18 PM']From a bassists point of view Bill, Could it be said that tweeters could be "enough" to add sparkle to slap pieces if your happy with the overall tone of say a single 15?[/quote]IMO no, because if you haven't heard a 15/6 or 15/8 you don't know what you're missing. As 15/6 and 15/8, and for that matter 12/6 and 12/8, are still primarily the domain of DIY and custom builds few players are aware of how well they work. Most who do have them also tweeter equipped find that they prefer the tone with the tweeters turned off; those who don't have tweeters for the most part don't miss them.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='972962' date='Sep 30 2010, 05:30 PM']IMO no, because if you haven't heard a 15/6 or 15/8 you don't know what you're missing. As 15/6 and 15/8, and for that matter 12/6 and 12/8, are still primarily the domain of DIY and custom builds few players are aware of how well they work. Most who do have them also tweeter equipped find that they prefer the tone with the tweeters turned off; those who don't have tweeters for the most part don't miss them.[/quote]

and where would something like a Trace Elliot Bright Box come into the mix? Sorry, I quite enjoy picking your brains! ^_^

[quote name='MythSte' post='972982' date='Sep 30 2010, 12:46 PM']and where would something like a Trace Elliot Bright Box come into the mix? Sorry, I quite enjoy picking your brains! ^_^[/quote]
Totally flawed, as drivers should never be horizontally arrayed. The intent is to widen the coverage, the result is to narrow it.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='972764' date='Sep 30 2010, 02:59 PM']I was about to say you were a big jessie but just lifted my one and you're probably right :)

You wouldn't want it - its a proper man's speaker :lol:[/quote]

Heh heh, it was carting this about for years that turned me into a Jesse :)

:-)