Why become a member? ×

Line 6 HD Series effects *new*

Dood

Well, prompted by the adverts in next months Total Guitar magazine, I'm interested to see emerging details on the Line 6 website for the new HD range. Promising to be 'so advanced they offer previously unreachable realism in attack, dynamics, compression and aggression'.

Three floor units (I guess like the 'Live' units) HD 300, 400 & 500. An HD100 head which I am assuming is a new version of the Bogner valve amp loaded heads for guitarists and a couple of combos, the 112 and 212. That's all i've seen so far.

No doubt, posts on a few forums, including TalkBass have already drawn parallels with the Fractal AxeFX - but it's all speculation.. so far! Line 6 say this is a culmination of 2 years worth of work.

Being the gear geek I am - and I have a very healthy interest for 'what's under the bonnet', I'll be sure to give one a whirl when I get a chance. I wonder if these new units have the dual signal paths of the X3 - which is genius!

The HD500

*damn you line 6, you've dropped a looper in there. Could have told me sooner so I didnt buy a seperate pedal!!!*

Strange... Line6 already do a HD range in guitar amps but these are not the bogner equipped ones I don't think.

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Line-6-Spider-Valve-MKII-100W-HD~ID~12453.asp"]Line6 HD Guitar Amp[/url]

Whats next...
A bass version of the VettaII? The self proclaimed "Most advanced guitar amp system in the world" [i]\end Jeremy Clarkson voice.[/i]

This could be an interesting one too watch.

Incidentally the bogner equipped spider IV doesn't sound much different to the solid state spider IV (which sounds good, I've got one)

*edit... these ARE bogner equipped. My bad!

Edited by charic

[quote name='dood' post='971315' date='Sep 29 2010, 02:02 AM']'so advanced they offer previously unreachable realism in attack, dynamics, compression and aggression'.[/quote]

Unreachable realism, that is, unless you actually use the real thing.

Sorry to be hating in your thread, but every time I try a Line6 product I'm really very impressed with the emulation for ten minutes, but then I try out the real version and it's like going from a cheese sandwich to a Sunday roast with all the trimmings.

A couple of their effects are really great, their delays and modulations in particular, but their amp emulations sound like karaoke to me.

[quote name='charic' post='971367' date='Sep 29 2010, 08:02 AM']Strange... Line6 already do a HD range in guitar amps but these are not the bogner equipped ones I don't think.

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Line-6-Spider-Valve-MKII-100W-HD~ID~12453.asp"]Line6 HD Guitar Amp[/url]

Whats next...
A bass version of the VettaII? The self proclaimed "Most advanced guitar amp system in the world" [i]\end Jeremy Clarkson voice.[/i]

This could be an interesting one too watch.

Incidentally the bogner equipped spider IV doesn't sound much different to the solid state spider IV (which sounds good, I've got one)

*edit... these ARE bogner equipped. My bad![/quote]

Hmmm - I wonder if the head and combos are actually nothing to do with the new HD floor units then? - It's all a bit confusing as I havent seen an official release on their website yet - which seems a bit odd!!

[quote name='maxrossell' post='971418' date='Sep 29 2010, 09:19 AM']Unreachable realism, that is, unless you actually use the real thing.

Sorry to be hating in your thread, but every time I try a Line6 product I'm really very impressed with the emulation for ten minutes, but then I try out the real version and it's like going from a cheese sandwich to a Sunday roast with all the trimmings.

A couple of their effects are really great, their delays and modulations in particular, but their amp emulations sound like karaoke to me.[/quote]

Don't apologise! :) It's all healthy discussion. The 'modelling' debate rages on! I'm actually enjoying watching the evolution of technology. It's keeping my inner geeky alien happy!

It looks impressive, but I'm not convinced that it's not all marketing hype. The whole use of 8 fx at once sounds good and dual fx paths too, but the Digitech 2120 I've got could do that 10 years ago, so is it really that impressive? Granted though, I'd still like to try one just to see what it was like.

I now notice on Line 6's website that the only pod version for bass only is the Floor pod. Us bassists are getting marginalised by them!! Ha!!

Though I laugh at that, as like Dood, I use guitar fx in my chain as they often sound possibly not better, but certainly good. It doesn't matter if it works.

To me though the whole thing of "AMP MODELLING IN HD!!" screams style over substance to me. If it came with a plasma HD ready screen that'd be good though....

Well having read about them it does have dual signal paths or at least 2 amps you can choose to use, it also has flexible fx chains like the M13 and all the fx of the M13 assuming you get the HD500, there are 10 lost each time you go down a model.

Personally I got the email about these and though wow awesome, etc etc but then I checked the amp models and it's designed for guitarists, you may be able to get an acceptable bass tone out of it but I doubt it.

I bet the tuner still only goes to Low B, personally I'll be sticking with my M13

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='978026' date='Oct 5 2010, 09:58 AM']Well having read about them it does have dual signal paths or at least 2 amps you can choose to use, it also has flexible fx chains like the M13 and all the fx of the M13 assuming you get the HD500, there are 10 lost each time you go down a model.

Personally I got the email about these and though wow awesome, etc etc but then I checked the amp models and it's designed for guitarists, you may be able to get an acceptable bass tone out of it but I doubt it.

I bet the tuner still only goes to Low B, personally I'll be sticking with my M13[/quote]

Yes, I can foresee the Bass amps and effects coming from downloadeable 'model packs' and thus will require extra spendage maybe.

The thing that irritates me is the title. HD. What does that even mean in relation to this unit?!! Unless they mean the 3 inch screen on it is in HD. Next thing you know it'll be download the expandanable model pack in 3D and get a free copy of Clash of the Titans to watch on your 3D fx unit. Marketing piddle.

If the thing is good, then that's great, but don't try and pretend it's a TV. It's a modeling fx unit which may or may not be fantastic. Do we need 3D goggles?

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='978455' date='Oct 5 2010, 03:33 PM']The thing that irritates me is the title. HD. What does that even mean in relation to this unit?!! Unless they mean the 3 inch screen on it is in HD. Next thing you know it'll be download the expandanable model pack in 3D and get a free copy of Clash of the Titans to watch on your 3D fx unit. Marketing piddle.

If the thing is good, then that's great, but don't try and pretend it's a TV. It's a modeling fx unit which may or may not be fantastic. Do we need 3D goggles?[/quote]

Ha ha ha!!! Yes, I agree! - Now, I can quite believe that with the acceleration of technology that the NEW Pods sound better/feel better than previous models. It's the same as computers and laptops getting faster, so they can number crunch and do more *stuff* - The marketing though? Hmmm, I guess it's trying to catch people with those buzz words of the moment. I'm about to build the new [b]HD iTone Cloud technology Neo Bass cabinets, matching amps and pickups.[/b] This new rig will make you sound, feel and even look like your heros.

[quote name='dood' post='978526' date='Oct 5 2010, 04:25 PM']Ha ha ha!!! Yes, I agree! - Now, I can quite believe that with the acceleration of technology that the NEW Pods sound better/feel better than previous models. It's the same as computers and laptops getting faster, so they can number crunch and do more *stuff* - The marketing though? Hmmm, I guess it's trying to catch people with those buzz words of the moment. I'm about to build the new [b]HD iTone Cloud technology Neo Bass cabinets, matching amps and pickups.[/b] This new rig will make you sound, feel and even look like your heros.[/quote]

The worst case i've ever seen this on was a hoover washing machine (total crap) when I did a stint working in retail ages ago. When I asked the hoover rep what HD stood for she said "High Door, so it's easier to get you load in and out see". That is truly shameless, still a crap washing machine.

[quote name='DaveB' post='984718' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:59 PM']The worst case i've ever seen this on was a hoover washing machine (total crap) when I did a stint working in retail ages ago. When I asked the hoover rep what HD stood for she said "High Door, so it's easier to get you load in and out see". That is truly shameless, still a crap washing machine.[/quote]

Cool! lol lol - In that case my Shuker basses have been upgraded to HD*

*"Has Dood"

[quote name='DaveB' post='986884' date='Oct 13 2010, 01:04 PM']Dave B HD (Has Deafnessfromstupidlylouddrummer)[/quote]

lol! My deafness would be 'Has DeafnessFromOneHundredBassPlayersDoingShedBuildingImpressionsAtBassDayWhilstAttemptingToDemonstrates
TheSubtletiesOHisPlayingOnTheOtherSideOfTheRoom' :)