Why become a member? ×

Quick and easy!

Marvin

No one Knows can be tricky, firstly you either have to tune down or get a 5 string, and its best if you have a bit of overdrive too. Just started it with my band, I've learnt my parts but the other guys are busking it and it doesen't sound to great. If it doesent work then I think we'll just ditch it rather than murderig it live.

I've got to learn some manics which seem pretty easy. Try Australia, Design for Life and Roses in the Hospital.

Also Dakota by Sterophonics, I think its stolen the crown from With or wothout you as the wrolds simplest bass line.

Some Kinks numbers, e.g. You Really Got Me, ADAAOTN, Sunny Afternoon, etc.

Nirvana is another obvious choice, songs like Territorial P***ings and On A Plain are pretty easy (I will not, however, condone another Smells Like Teen Spirit cover :))

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger, my first band covered that one at our first gig, piece of cake.

Those are all that come to mind right now, other than songs already mentioned...

Bit of advice. Find out what the singer can sing and work from there. No point in learning stuff and the singer knocks it back due to it being in the "wrong key".

Having said that, it`s good to know some standard covers, the kind of which already been mentioned.

Jez

[quote name='Marvin' post='963049' date='Sep 21 2010, 10:10 AM']I placed an ad on one of those sites, you know lonely hearts for musicians and got a reply from a guitarist who sounds rather good if I'm honest. There's a drummer and potentially a warbler.

Well it's just dawned on me that in the past year that I've been noodling around on the bass I haven't actually learnt a cover in full. Well by that I mean I'll have sort of learnt one on a night and then completely forgotten a) how to play it and/or b ) what the damned song was in the first place.

So your mission, if you wish to accept it, is to come up with a few covers (4 or 5 at the max) that are very quick and easy to learn but sound alright. By easy I mean nothing with loads of fills and variations in it, repetitive is the key word here as I've got a lousy memory :)

Oh, some are on the scratched off list already - Sex on Fire, All Right Now, Sweet Home what's it, Mustang doo dah, you know the score.[/quote]

Who is in charge of this gathering?

If it were me, I'd ask for common ground from all or most concerned and arrange a get-together just to see how thing would sound.
The material would, at this stage be secondary to seeing what you have in common musically.

Once you have decided which members are useful, then I'd have a song storming session where everyone who is committed tables a few songs and everyone votes on them. You make that your first mixtape CD and a template for your set.

By this time, you should have in mind how you are going to approach this..with a view to what gigs you do and how to colour the songs....but you need a line-up first.

What songs you throw around in rehearsal for this first gathering would not likely be anywhere near what you end up with gigging, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='963745' date='Sep 21 2010, 08:21 PM']Who is in charge of this gathering?

If it were me, I'd ask for common ground from all or most concerned and arrange a get-together just to see how thing would sound.
The material would, at this stage be secondary to seeing what you have in common musically.

Once you have decided which members are useful, then I'd have a song storming session where everyone who is committed tables a few songs and everyone votes on them. You make that your first mixtape CD and a template for your set.

By this time, you should have in mind how you are going to approach this..with a view to what gigs you do and how to colour the songs....but you need a line-up first.

What songs you throw around in rehearsal for this first gathering would not likely be anywhere near what you end up with gigging, IMO.[/quote]

Thanks , that sounds solid advice.
I mainly want a few covers for 'the back pocket' as it were, for a first meeting. Like Jezzaboy said it would be handy to have a few standards just so I don't turn up completely blank.

If all goes well, then I'll suggest what you've posted.
Thanks again.