Why become a member? ×

Advice Needed!

rockinbassman

Right, I am currently playing for a pop artist doing a lot of large stage gigs. I have been using my Little Mark Tube along with Classic 104 Cab, but due to the cab being 8ohms I am not getting much welly from my head!

Can anyone suggest/recommend another Mark head that has a bit more power, even possibly to drive 2 Cabs in the future. I am endorsed by them so can get anything I want really, got some advice from them, but want some 3rd party advice too.

P

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='962813' date='Sep 20 2010, 10:39 PM']Does it not mean that it wont drive the 2 cabs fully though as it will be powering 2 cabs!?[/quote]

No

According to the specs the little mark tube gives 500w into an 8 ohm load and 800w into a 4 ohm load

Therefore with a single 8 ohm cabinet, you will not see the amps full potential

BUT if you replaced the single 8 ohm cab with a 4 ohm cab, although you would develop more watts, it wont make a huge difference to your volume as the speakers will be unable to make use of the available power, although the cabinet would probably take it.

If you have a second cab, your amp will see a 4 ohm load, therefore allowing the extra wattage to be developed, but far more importantly the extra area of the speakers will give you more volume

If you mean will it drive the cabs to their maximum thermal rating (ie the rated wattage) the answer is no. Not that it makes much difference as the maximum the speaker is likely to handle at the bottom end probably won't be much more than a third of the cab's rated RMS anyway.

If you really want to push as much power into the cabs as they'll handle you'll need to buy a more powerful head, but it's not really necessary to drive cabs to their maximum rating. Adding a second 104 will give you an extra 60-70% more power, and doubling the number of speakers will give an extra 3db of the volume - the extra power and speakers together will give a useful 5-6db boost in volume.

Yes of course I have monitor mixes, but at some of the festivals, with quick changeovers etc it has been hard to rely on monitor engineers.

Its not that I am looking to have loads more volume all the time, and its not an immediate thing, I was just looking into Ohmage/Wattage and making sure that I was getting the full potential from mine before I went and spent some money on another.

Getting another 4x10 was a future plan anyway as it the same as having an 8x10 but without the hassle of an 8x10 and I can use one of the 4x10's on smaller gigs.

Thanks for the help guys!!