Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage/Modified Jaguar Is Here

Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='webby' post='1002738' date='Oct 27 2010, 09:22 AM']I tried one of these in a shop today, and both Tone controls 'took' the Vol controls with them when I turned them, and I was very careful not to touch the Vol control.

Is this a known issue?[/quote]

Yes it is. But it's not a problem if you understand the dynamics involved.

The upper knob is dragging the lower knob around as it turns or vice versa.

The TONE pot clicking-detents are supposed to hold against that happenstance - but that assumes the set screws are installed snugly enough to hold the knobs on the shafts exactly where they need to be.

The biggest culprit is the lower know rises up and rubs against the upper knob because somebody didn't a) put it on in the correct position in the first place or b) the set screw wasn't tight enough.

You have to loosen the lower set screw and push the knob down toward the panel to compress the flat ring spring just enough and then re-snug the set screw.

It's simple - not rocket surgery but somehow there is little-to-no communication in the field how to do this simple set up.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Jambo' post='997540' date='Oct 22 2010, 09:14 PM']well....mines off to the bass doctor tomorrow hopefully, for a badass & some flatwounds.....will report back in a while......perhaps the doc will also give his verdict too.....[/quote]

Isn't it simple enough to fit a bridge yourself? Don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering if I've got it wrong and there's something more to it than merely screwing it on.

[quote name='webby' post='1003314' date='Oct 28 2010, 08:20 AM']Isn't it simple enough to fit a bridge yourself? Don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering if I've got it wrong and there's something more to it than merely screwing it on.[/quote]

I fitted my Badass bridge myself and I'm about as much use as a chocolate fireguard when it comes to stuff like that.

That was at the beginning of this year and my bass is fine.

To keep on topic, this thing looks amazing. Might be tempted to get one over a '50s reissue P

[quote name='webby' post='1004476' date='Oct 28 2010, 02:25 PM']Yep[/quote]

Obviously, they don't have much of an on-duty luthier in the store. Offer to take that defective one off their hands for a discount.

Once you get it home we can fix it in a couple of posts here and you'll get a good deal. You can always mail me a certified check some day.

Ive had a fiddle with my control's and both appear to work fine, but im still finding the tone on the jazz pick up very on and and off. But the tone on the precision pick up doesnt really do a lot whether its on full or completely wound off.

[quote name='webby' post='1003314' date='Oct 28 2010, 08:20 AM']Isn't it simple enough to fit a bridge yourself? Don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering if I've got it wrong and there's something more to it than merely screwing it on.[/quote]

yeah, theres a bit more than that.....im having the frets dressed too and a proper bone nut on, as the plastic one that it comes with couldve been cut a shade wider....

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1004862' date='Oct 29 2010, 10:18 AM']I wonder when they're going to release the 5 stringer............

:)

G.[/quote]
Now you're talking. If they get the string spacing right I'd be up for one of those.

[quote name='buff' post='1004847' date='Oct 29 2010, 02:06 AM']Ive had a fiddle with my control's and both appear to work fine, but im still finding the tone on the jazz pick up very on and and off. But the tone on the precision pick up doesnt really do a lot whether its on full or completely wound off.[/quote]

Sumpthing's very wrong there. My pots go from crystal brilliant to deep chocolate - BOTH of 'em do.

Did you get this from a dealer - locally? Time for a re-visit I think.

Hopefully they have a luthier there to help with this situation.

[quote name='silentbob' post='1009204' date='Nov 1 2010, 05:57 PM']Mine's going back this week, it looks to me like the bridge has been fitted incorrectly as the strings don't run evenly down the fretboard and are way off some of the pole pieces. I'll try and get a pic up tomorrow to illustrate. Anybody else noticed anything similer?[/quote]

Do you have the info off the QC sticker yet?

If so, post it here.

There's been some inconsistencies with a certain run of these Jags and from a certain plant.

[quote name='Dave Dubya' post='1009683' date='Nov 2 2010, 08:27 AM']This looks really nice and, initially, had my Buy-New-Bass senses tingling.

But how different is it to Squier's P-bass Special? (a bass that I'm not a big fan of). Looks like kinda the same hardware in a bit different shaped body.[/quote]

Ya know --I don't have an answer to that question.

'Special' to me means P/J and although the Jaguar is the same P/J set-up - there has to be some difference I would think.

This is my first foray into P/J-land and I'm stoked beyond imagination at the clarity and mixing abilities of the two vastly different p'ups.

P'ups differences between the P-Special & The VM-Jaguar? They might be the same or not - this I haven't checked and perhaps someone has already researched this.

Next time I am in GC, I'll play them both to see if I can detect any similarities if they exist.

But right now I am intrigued to say the least.

[quote name='silentbob' post='1009204' date='Nov 2 2010, 12:57 AM']Mine's going back this week, it looks to me like the bridge has been fitted incorrectly as the strings don't run evenly down the fretboard and are way off some of the pole pieces. I'll try and get a pic up tomorrow to illustrate. Anybody else noticed anything similer?[/quote]

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1009212' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:15 AM']Do you have the info off the QC sticker yet?

If so, post it here.

There's been some inconsistencies with a certain run of these Jags and from a certain plant.[/quote]

Yes - I mentioned earlier in the thread that it appears that the nut hasnt been cut wide enough and that the strings are well off the edges of the neck the A & D miss the centre of the poles on the J-pup....so im getting a new bridge and bone nut, which in the grand scheme of things for the price seems fair enough to me....

Edited by Jambo

[quote name='Jambo' post='1011336' date='Nov 3 2010, 08:54 PM']Yes - I mentioned earlier in the thread that it appears that the nut hasnt been cut wide enough and that the strings are well off the edges of the neck the A & D miss the centre of the poles on the J-pup....so im getting a new bridge and bone nut, which in the grand scheme of things for the price seems fair enough to me....[/quote]

Mine looks to be spot on at the nut, but all four strings seem to run down the fretboard with the gap on the E side between the string and the fretboard edge getting bigger, and vice versa on the G side.