Why become a member? ×

GMR Basses: Anybody got any Experience of them?

Spoombung

I played a 5 (or was it 6?) string in the Bass Merchant. The body had a superb carving on the back and horns and had perfect balance. The whole thing was brilliantly constructed. I wasn't so sold on the sound, though (bassculture pickups - never heard of them before).

I must say I find this bass incredibly attractive and I'm tempted to investigate further:

Anybody else own/play one?

Never played one, but know GMR as well estabilished manufacturer from Poland. Remember them to build boutique basses to individual order, not to sure about current status.
There are usual many models with even more options and additions, so you have try if you like it. Searched some polish forums and mostly GMR-s have very good opinions.

Edited by observer

• 1 year later...

Used to own one, a GMR Bassforce 4 (bought from Bass Merchant) very nice but I didn't hang on to it for long as I was going through a spell of GAS at the time and moved it on. Nice attention to detail (wooden pickup covers, wooden knobs) nice woods used, the sound was a bit sterile from what I remember.

Hi chaps,

glad you like our basses. We have indeed moved the whole company to the UK. We thought, we'll try to go against the flow, and rather then try to find some way's of making bigger profit producing them using cheaper labor or materials for example , we'll forever try to improve our 'babies'. Quality of finish, materials and components used are very important to us, thus the move. Also having the showroom or 'the HQ' as we call it, on Denmark Street, means easy access to our basses for people interested.

Specially voiced John East preamps are being fitted as a standard feature now. Also there's a wide range of different pick up options available, although I do swear by Bassculture Pickups. They hand made , by Christoff in Germany, near Dusseldorf. Lovely guy as well. P-up maniac :-).

Daniel

[quote name='GMR' timestamp='1322754664' post='1455469']
Hi chaps,

glad you like our basses. We have indeed moved the whole company to the UK. We thought, we'll try to go against the flow, and rather then try to find some way's of making bigger profit producing them using cheaper labor or materials for example , we'll forever try to improve our 'babies'. Quality of finish, materials and components used are very important to us, thus the move. Also having the showroom or 'the HQ' as we call it, on Denmark Street, means easy access to our basses for people interested.

Specially voiced John East preamps are being fitted as a standard feature now. Also there's a wide range of different pick up options available, although I do swear by Bassculture Pickups. They hand made , by Christoff in Germany, near Dusseldorf. Lovely guy as well. P-up maniac :-).

Daniel
[/quote]

I'm definitely going to have a proper look as I've had my eye on one of these basses for a long while. Nice to know they're in the UK now.

• 4 years later...

Here are my babies,
I used to be a Warwick player, but I'm absolutely hooked on GMR basses now and I now have serious G.A.S. for a GMR 5 string as well... :)

[attachment=222638:PTDC0015.JPG][attachment=222639:PTDC0014.JPG]
[attachment=222640:$_86.JPG][attachment=222641:$_86 (1).JPG]