Why become a member? ×

Are any bass stands safe for use with nitro finished basses?

Clarky

Further to my post yesterday about the resilience of nitro finishes, are any bass stands safe for use with a nitro finish or is the foam on all of them liable to stain?

PS, I know I could put some old T-shirt material over my Warwick Rockstand (which is next to my bed :)) but Mrs Clarky, being house-proud, might object to that

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='960373' date='Sep 18 2010, 01:32 PM']Further to my post yesterday about the resilience of nitro finishes, are any bass stands safe for use with a nitro finish or is the foam on all of them liable to stain?

PS, I know I could put some old T-shirt material over my Warwick Rockstand (which is next to my bed :)) but Mrs Clarky, being house-proud, might object to that[/quote]
I have had the problem I know you will be refering to...I solved it with further instruments by use of chamois leather .I cut it into strips the width of the foam rolled it round and superglued in place putting the join at the bottom so its nowhere near the instrument....works fine as far as I can see.......wheres the CS gone?????

[quote name='tino' post='960378' date='Sep 18 2010, 01:44 PM']I have had the problem I know you will be refering to...I solved it with further instruments by use of chamois leather .I cut it into strips the width of the foam rolled it round and superglued in place putting the join at the bottom so its nowhere near the instrument....works fine as far as I can see.......wheres the CS gone?????[/quote]
Thanks Tony.

The CS is withdrawn from sale for the time being as I think I may regret selling it. It's damn nice!

Edit: of course, me being Clarky, it was back on sale again a few hours after posting this :)

Edited by Clarky

The t-shirt fix may not be 100% in the long term. The foams used by some stand manufactures gives off gas in small quantities and will seep through whatever fabric you wrap around your stand. It's effect on you bass's finish will be greatly reduced but not entirely eliminated.

Hercules stands are supposed to be ok (or at least Rickenbacker's CEO recommends them for their conversion varnish finishes) but I don't know which other brands are also safe for nitro.

[quote name='JTUK' post='961889' date='Sep 20 2010, 09:44 AM']I don't like to balance basses on stands for any lenght of time,[/quote]

Mine sort-of "rest" on their stands rather than balancing, maybe you're doing it wrong?

So far I've found guitar stands to be completely safe but in fairness I have only been using them for 20 years or so.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='963149' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:35 AM']Mine sort-of "rest" on their stands rather than balancing, maybe you're doing it wrong?

So far I've found guitar stands to be completely safe but in fairness I have only been using them for 20 years or so.[/quote]

Ha!

what is this "Nitro" finish? And why on earth is it so delicate?

[quote name='lanark' post='963162' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:55 AM']Ha!

what is this "Nitro" finish? And why on earth is it so delicate?[/quote]

Nitrocellulose. Fender used to use it on their guitars, some players believe it imparts magical tone. Probably the same people who think caked-up layers of dust are also tonally important. It can react with some types of foam rubber apparently, but it goes yellow and brittle and crazes and cracks and falls away in lumps eventually, so getting marks on it from your guitar stand is probably not worth worrying about.

• 1 month later...