Why become a member? ×

On stage. In the moment...

Jigster

Been meaning to post this for awhile as it's on my mind almost everytime I gig.

How easy do people find it to be 'in the moment' when gigging.

Is it just an experience thing, the more you do etc..?

I find with some gigs that the balance between being aware of the audience and being in the moment with the band is a delicate line to tread. Sometimes, I find myself either listening to my sound, or trying to be conscious of connecting with the crowd and not just standing there shoegazing, and what I've actually done is stroll through a song on muscle memory. It bothers me as I see our guitarist and he looks lost in the moment, and I'm standing outside, watching myself and 'listening' to the band. One of the things I've always loved about music is how it makes me [i]feel[/i], but I get this disconnection of feeling with my own music.

[b]I should say this isn't all the time - and pretty much never in rehearsals - but has happened at enough gigs to start to pi** me off.[/b]

I have wondered if it's because I also sing that this happens. I can't just get on and groove because I have to do something else as well.

Any thoughts would be good to read.

[quote name='Jigster' post='957567' date='Sep 15 2010, 07:28 PM']It bothers me as I see our guitarist and he looks lost in the moment, and I'm standing outside, watching myself and 'listening' to the band. One of the things I've always loved about music is how it makes me [i]feel[/i], but I get this disconnection of feeling with my own music[/quote]

i could have written that word for word Jigster

For me there are a whole load of variables that may affect being 'in the moment'. Obviously the audience reaction can make a
huge difference,but maybe one of the band isn't 'feeling it' and it creates a bad vibe amongst everyone else,or you may have had
a bad day and you're thinking about what you are going to eat after the gig or whatever,and you find yourself just going through
the motions and not really getting into it.Sure,you dance around and smile but you just don't really 'feel' it. On the other hand,the
crowd may be small and uninterested but the band really gets into it and everything works.

I've done hundreds of gigs since starting playing over 20yrs ago & I find it very easy onstage. I think performing is a craft like playing and it's something that gets easier with practice. It helps to play in bands you like & not worry about who looks cool or plays best. For many of us music is primarily about enjoyment

I call this being "in the zone".

As you play more gigs you realise that sometimes it just isn't going to happen. You can't make it happen.

There are a load of factors.

Have you eaten?
Has the sound check gone well?
You suddenly remembered that you didn't put fresh batteries in.
Do you know the songs inside out?
+a million other things.

Sometimes they all click in and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes you make a mistake and then worry about it into the next song and the next song goes wrong and from then on nothing that night seems to go right.

The problem is that if you only gig rarely the times that it works are very few and far between so when it doesn't work you feel worse. If you gig often they happen enough times that the bad ones don't bother you.

Punk band - same largely original songs & line-up for hundreds of gigs & > 20 years; now infrequent gigs invariably to mates who come for the social, therefore audience expectations are of 4 40-somethings making a righteous din & shouting = total zone out.

Covers band - few gigs so far; real songs to uknown punters who expect them played well = worrying about the guitarists tuning issues. I expect more gigs / familiarity & the guits buying tuner / mute pedals to improve things significantly.

Edited by johnnylager

I can understand this, at times I`ve felt myself "wandering off" into my own little world, mainly thru really getting into the gig/music, - tho still playing note perfect I might add!

I agree with Burritos comments - I`ve also been playing 20+ years, and now find it very easy being on stage. I`ve watched videos of myself on stage and hated the way I perform, thinking its not cool, so tried to change it, whereas now, I`ve accepted "that is my style" and just leave it to what comes naturally. This means I`m more relaxed on stage, and play/perform better, and always maintain eye-contact with the crowd. So what if I don`t look cool? The upside to this, is many more people have commented on how much stage presence I have since I stopped trying to emulate other peoples cool behaviour. Just goes to show, being yourself is far more "cool" than copying others.

Downside is, going back to the OP, as I`m more relaxed, and getting into the performance, this is the point where I can find myself wandering off..........doh!