Why become a member? ×

Price guide for vintage Fender part

Cat Burrito

Just after a bit of advice really. I've recently picked up an S9 serial number Fender Precision. The neck dates to 1979 but of course these serial numbers were used from 1979 - 1981. I'm (sort of) restoring it but I'm not going to use the original pickguard. It's a cool looking brass one but being solid brass it isn't the lightest :) I'm probably going to sell it on. Obviously it's around 30yrs old & quite unusual. I don't like these sellers on EBay that charge $200 for tuners etc but wondered what would be a fair deal to offer it for. I was thinking about £50 incl UK p&p. Does that sound fair? It's obviously not for everyone's tastes but I reckon some people would really go for it.

Oh & I'm looking at a gigging bass so not interested in keeping it for resale value - other original parts are needing to (have been!) sourced anyway

I thought it looked quite good against the black & sunburst (pics attached)

Could well be after market. I was 7yrs old in 1980 so don't pretend to be an expert here. The seller I bought from said it was a 1980 scratchplate. My friend who runs the local guitar shop & is a bit older says these were quite (or "more") common back in the early 70s/80s. I assumed it to be a limited edition run but I was hoping there might be someone who knows more, hence the querying thread prior to the outright hard sell. Thanks for the replies.