Why become a member? ×

Recommend a quality Jazz bass that nails the 60s tone

Musicman20

Hi

Can anyone recommend a nice Jazz bass that nails the 60s tone, is available with a rosewood board, and isnt over £1k? I dont mind if its passive or active, but Id prefer passive.

I have been tempted by Lakland Jazzes, but Im not going to pursue that avenue after a few problems I had. It caused too much hassle last time, so something else?

Sadowsky basses dont do it tone wise for me.

One option is the Roadworn Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red). Not only does it look great, but I tested one and it sounded pretty damn good as well. Are they overpriced? I know I can get one under £800, but is that still too much?

The other option is Sandberg, but Im not sure if they sound a little too modern for what Im after. Im open to ideas though.

4 or 5 string, dont mind.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='952976' date='Sep 11 2010, 06:27 PM']Hi

Can anyone recommend a nice Jazz bass that nails the 60s tone, is available with a rosewood board, and isnt over £1k? I dont mind if its passive or active, but Id prefer passive.

I have been tempted by Lakland Jazzes, but Im not going to pursue that avenue after a few problems I had. It caused too much hassle last time, so something else?

Sadowsky basses dont do it tone wise for me.

One option is the Roadworn Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red). Not only does it look great, but I tested one and it sounded pretty damn good as well. Are they overpriced? I know I can get one under £800, but is that still too much?

The other option is Sandberg, but Im not sure if they sound a little too modern for what Im after. Im open to ideas though.

4 or 5 string, dont mind.[/quote]

Fender 60's reissue jazz bass? Or any bass that you put fender custom shop 60's jazz bass pickups in.

Edited by kevbass

[quote name='Musicman20' post='952990' date='Sep 11 2010, 06:35 PM']Possibly, although the lighter weight of the RW is tempting (well Ive heard they are mainly lighter overall).[/quote]

This one you speak of, is not a taco is it? (mexican) if so bewaro amigo, mucho bodgjo!

Edited by Grand Wazoo

You'll probably find some makers have had to make winds for all the big names so there may be a wealth of knowledge with the likes of KA and others.

I can recall a certain maker having orders for all sorts of big names and could pretty much make to order...if he could interpret what sound you wanted from whatever description you could give him.

It might not mean much to me, soundwise but made perfect sense to him..
I'd call them up and ask what they suggest..

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='953252' date='Sep 11 2010, 11:40 PM']I do like the 60s RI too myself and then of course the 62RI MIJ has USA pickups & is close to the USA AV in my view but at half the cost[/quote]

If I could get a MIJ 62 Reissues I definitely would! The Roadworn, despite the controversial ageing, is high on the list.

I A/B'd a few jazzers down at my lms... Fender Custom Shop Jazz (lovely colour) nearly £2000, RW Jazz, sunburst - nearly £1000 and Squier CV Jazz - £260

CS was nice, RW was bloody lovely, CV blew me away, sound and feel were so close to the RW... I play a 62 anyways and the RW and CV came the closest to that in feel terms.

If money didn't matter I'd prob go for the RW but the CV is amazing for the price, would make a nice relic/replica project too.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='953532' date='Sep 12 2010, 01:24 PM']Did you keep the pickups stock?

How does it compare to the NASH?[/quote]

yep stock pick ups on the RW

The Nash is a totally different sound - bigger output - they're Di Marzio pups that, to my ears, are throatier and grainier, but really clear, they respond to nuances that I haven't detected as much with the RW -

But the RW played with a pick and some drive delivers a great throaty sound - but also gets syrupy fingerstyle and tone rolled off -

Essentially, the RW is VERY playable - it must be cos I can play it :)

BUT I'd say the Nash is the better of the two...just