Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray Fretless Neck - Are they available?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='948464' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:34 PM']Are Stingray necks swapable? Thinking about getting a fretless one for my 2EQ Stingray. Also, do they come up for sale that often?[/quote]

As long as the neck bolt configuration is the same, then I would guess they are swappable. There seem to be a few StingRay/Sabre hybrids around - ie basses with the body of one and the neck of another model combined.

You probably would have a hard time finding a second-hand fretless neck for sale though - but I have seen people selling StingRays with 'spare' fretless necks in the past, both on here and on eBay, but sellers usually want to sell the whole lot in one go and are less inclined to sell the extra neck on its own for some reason.

How about a Status Graphite StingRay replacement neck? From what I've read peeps who have gone this route are usually more than happy with the result.

[quote name='matski' post='949151' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:32 AM']How about a Status Graphite StingRay replacement neck? From what I've read peeps who have gone this route are usually more than happy with the result.[/quote]
+1

Was going to come along and say exactly the same thing! Was thinking about doing this with a Jazz, and unless they have them in stock the build time was around 6-8weeks.

I've seen a few on eBay recently, but think that's perhaps the exception rather than the norm. The other option is to contact your local luthier and see if they can do a job for you. The Sims Custom shop might be a useful place to start as a reference.

I have a Sabre with a fretless stingray neck on. I picked it up on here a couple of months ago for a first go at fretless and i am a convert, it is a great bass, anyhow the necks are def interchangeable cos i have tried the fretted maple neck from my Ray on it and it works!! (Less bolt holes though).

I plan to upgrade it to a Status fretless neck at some point so i may have one available. Does anyone have any idea what a Stingray fretless neck is worth?

+ Is adding a Status neck to an (Already nowhere near 100% original) Sabre going to devalue it much?

Cheers
TK

Edited by TommyK

[quote name='TommyK' post='951758' date='Sep 10 2010, 01:00 PM']I have a Sabre with a fretless stingray neck on. I picked it up on here a couple of months ago for a first go at fretless and i am a convert, it is a great bass, anyhow the necks are def interchangeable cos i have tried the fretted maple neck from my Ray on it and it works!! (Less bolt holes though).

I plan to upgrade it to a Status fretless neck at some point so i may have one available. Does anyone have any idea what a Stingray fretless neck is worth?

+ Is adding a Status neck to an (Already nowhere near 100% original) Sabre going to devalue it much?

Cheers
TK[/quote]
Well if you sell the fretless ray necktie say £200, and then sell the sabre with status neck you could get a nice price, but people are rather keen on having it all original, so it would be a case of waiting for the right buyer or separating it up and then selling the parts.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='951779' date='Sep 10 2010, 01:16 PM']Well if you sell the fretless ray necktie say £200, and then sell the sabre with status neck you could get a nice price, but people are rather keen on having it all original, so it would be a case of waiting for the right buyer or separating it up and then selling the parts.[/quote]

Yeah, i don't want to sell it anyway, just didn't want to devalue it further, just incase :)

[quote name='TommyK' post='951758' date='Sep 10 2010, 01:00 PM']I have a Sabre with a fretless stingray neck on. I picked it up on here a couple of months ago for a first go at fretless and i am a convert, it is a great bass, anyhow the necks are def interchangeable cos i have tried the fretted maple neck from my Ray on it and it works!! (Less bolt holes though).

Cheers
TK[/quote]

Cool and thank you. Let me know if you do sell the neck as I could very well be interested if I have not bought something by then. Any idea how soon you plan to upgrade to a Status neck and sell the fretless ray neck?

[quote name='Linus27' post='951876' date='Sep 10 2010, 02:46 PM']Cool and thank you. Let me know if you do sell the neck as I could very well be interested if I have not bought something by then. Any idea how soon you plan to upgrade to a Status neck and sell the fretless ray neck?[/quote]

No worries, will do. Will probably go for it in a couple of months time. It depends what the original neck is worth really? (If you give me £300 for it you can have it now :rolleyes: )

Seriously does anyone know the going rate? Is £200-250 about right???? :)

Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

[quote name='TommyK' post='955227' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:17 PM']No worries, will do. Will probably go for it in a couple of months time. It depends what the original neck is worth really? (If you give me £300 for it you can have it now :lol: )

Seriously does anyone know the going rate? Is £200-250 about right???? :)

Opinions appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

Nah way off, about £50 I reckon :rolleyes::)

Seriously, let me know when your ready and thanks.

I'd try and get a go on a Ray or Status with a Status Graphite fretless neck before you go down this route if you can.

I did this conversion on a Jazz bass and couldn't really get on with it. I guess it's partly a question of technique but I always ended up with a 'clacky' result even on flats. I know some people have gone down the rosewood board route (on the graphite neck) with their Status fretless to avoid this.

• 3 weeks later...