Why become a member? ×

Aria SB-60R Paduak Red

iconic

Gentlemen, nice bit of nostalgia and a lovely bit of kit in very nice unrestored condition.

....not had this long at all, but as is often the case I have been offered a 1980's BB Yamaha, strangely enough thru a business customer whom bought a Focus from me 4 days after I bought this SB! I can't pass this up old Yamaha as it's a very, very good price, but now have 4 bass's sitting here so it's last in first out...

The guy I bought this from has had it 20 years and he purchased it from the original owner, it has a set of Rotosounds on it, that to be honest I don't really like too much, but she plays A1 now it has been set up to my tastes. She has no drama's or unwanted surprises, super low action, no hum, no pot noises and quite a original tone as is the way with old Aria SB's.
It now has black Marvel locks but original strap eyes are with it. The 'R' has a slightly wider neck [i]but that is relative for a SB[/i], it has a very racey neck indeed, more like a jazz bass so if you like big necked P basses this may not be for you, ohh isn't at all heavy....but come have a go if you like.

It is totally original, not molested in any way and is finished in a lovely Paduak red, with what looks like rosewood fretboard? It doesn't seem to have been used very much over the years, according to the last owner it was used mainly for studio recording, the head hasn't any gigging digs or knocks so sounds plausable, also the frets are in very good used condition (my year old BB414 and VMJ have more wear!) and there are only few small marks on the body, one rear, one bottom...see photos.

I paid £280, so asking for money back, no bids please it isn't dear....rather than price it higher and haggle.

Any questions, PM me, I'm on Suffolk Norfolk border near Snetterton/Diss/Attleborough.....would rather not post, but willing too if a deal breaker at cost to buyer but will insist on insurance, its not like posting a VMJ that could be replaced tomorrow! I would rather it goes to someone who has a passion for these old SB's, she is a bit special.

link to Aria SB site for more info' [url="http://www.prog.rockers.co.uk/aria.htm"]http://www.prog.rockers.co.uk/aria.htm[/url] there is a fair bit on the SB-R60 model.

Edited by iconic

That's a cracking price for a really nice bass.

Interesting that its a 1982 model from your part of the world. I used to play guitar in a band in deepest Norfolk in the early 80s, and the bass player bought a bass identical to this from what was then John Savage music in King's Lynn. It must have been around 1982, as I was taking my A levels at the time! Unlikely to be the same one, I guess, but a blast from the past nevertheless!

[quote name='simon1964' post='947327' date='Sep 6 2010, 03:58 PM']That's a cracking price for a really nice bass.

Interesting that its a 1982 model from your part of the world. I used to play guitar in a band in deepest Norfolk in the early 80s, and the bass player bought a bass identical to this from what was then John Savage music in King's Lynn. It must have been around 1982, as I was taking my A levels at the time! Unlikely to be the same one, I guess, but a blast from the past nevertheless![/quote]

He must of been a well off student, they were nearly £300 new back then....around £1300+ in todays money using earnings related!

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='947420' date='Sep 6 2010, 05:21 PM']He must of been a well off student, they were nearly £300 new back then....around £1300+ in todays money using earnings related![/quote]

He actually funded it by selling a 70s Fender Mustang. I have no idea how he came to have that!

That looks like my old bass . I sold it to a guy in Watton about 20 yrs ago , and he still owes me £100 of the installments - lesson learnt there I think .

Did you find an old Bartolini active boost in the control cavity , wired by some numpty 20yr old :)

I always thought that these were SB700's - the passive version of the SB1000 .

I know you say cash only , but are up for a trade of a boxed up Korg G5 plus £100 to you . I'm in Norfolk .

[quote name='iconic' post='947281' date='Sep 6 2010, 02:09 PM']The 'R' has a slightly wider neck [i]but that is relative for a SB[/i], it has a very racey neck indeed, more like a jazz bass so if you like big necked P basses this may not be for you ...[/quote]

[quote name='kurcatovium' post='947310' date='Sep 6 2010, 02:37 PM']These models have narrower string spacing, right?[/quote]

Wider/Narrower? The standard SB specification is 45 mm wide at the nut and has a 16 mm pitch at the bridge, whereas this (SB-R) model is 40 mm wide at the nut and has an 18 mm pitch at the bridge.

[quote name='E sharp' post='947516' date='Sep 6 2010, 06:04 PM']I always thought that these were SB700's ...[/quote]

That's exactly what this model is derived from - it was a specification introduced for the US and European markets, where the Fender template was popular.

[quote name='E sharp' post='947516' date='Sep 6 2010, 07:04 PM']That looks like my old bass . I sold it to a guy in Watton about 20 yrs ago , and he still owes me £100 of the installments - lesson learnt there I think .

Did you find an old Bartolini active boost in the control cavity , wired by some numpty 20yr old :)

I always thought that these were SB700's - the passive version of the SB1000 .

I know you say cash only , but are up for a trade of a boxed up Korg G5 plus £100 to you . I'm in Norfolk .[/quote]

had a look, not active, japanese script on wiring n stuff, thanks for the offer of the Korg but not for me, sorry.

Not too sure what the 'form' is here...

To those who wish the Aria to be posted, I'm wondering if I should send in a hard case and ask for the case to be returned, I don't mind posting it's just, well you know I have this concern, worry, image of a knuckle dragging disinterested, spotty, hooded young punk stepping on the Aria in the back of a delivery van...

[b]PC Statement: I should add not all spotty young punks do this...some aren't spotty at all :) [/b]

....I don't have anything substantial to wrap this bass in, I sometimes have some old cardboard cases from when I bought my new Yamaha's but have none I haven't binned.

so what what is the usual form?

Best places to get big boxes is Halfords. Their adult bikes (Carrera etc) come part built in sturdy boxes. They're too tall to use as they are, but if several inches are cut from the height (and a flap constructed) they are ideal. Any time I've asked for a shipping box from one of the local music shops they've wanted to charge for it, whereas my local Halfords is only to happy to get rid of them.

[quote name='BB2000' post='948310' date='Sep 7 2010, 02:09 PM']Best places to get big boxes is Halfords. Their adult bikes (Carrera etc) come part built in sturdy boxes. They're too tall to use as they are, but if several inches are cut from the height (and a flap constructed) they are ideal.[/quote]

+1.

Cut the left over cardboard into 1" squares. They're just as tasty as Shreddies®, and they're free!

wow, this thing attracts attention, just sold a Fiesta to a real nice guy, turns out he sings in 3 bands up here and nearly wet his gusset over the SB....he had a SB-600 years ago but gave up bass to concentrate on singing....he told me never to sell any guitar you own..you will only regret it, so far I always have!

[quote name='BB2000' post='948310' date='Sep 7 2010, 02:09 PM']Best places to get big boxes is Halfords. Their adult bikes (Carrera etc) come part built in sturdy boxes. They're too tall to use as they are, but if several inches are cut from the height (and a flap constructed) they are ideal. Any time I've asked for a shipping box from one of the local music shops they've wanted to charge for it, whereas my local Halfords is only to happy to get rid of them.[/quote]

many thanks