Why become a member? ×

Splitting my bass to two seperate pre-amps...

cetera

I would like to be running my rig as follows:

Bass --> Splitter Box --> Sansamp RBI (high end grind) --> Channel A of Peavey DPC1400 Amp --> 1st Genz Benz Neox 2x12
--------> Splitter Box --> Sansamp RPM (clean low end) --> Channel B of Peavey DPC1400 Amp --> 2nd Genz Benz Neox 2x12

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good but cheap splitter/ABY box with 1 input (from the bass) and 2 outputs (to run both pre-amps at the same time)? I'd like no signal loss or as little as possible...

Thanks in advance for your help chaps!

UPDATE: Problem now SOLVED - thanks!

Edited by cetera

If you have a RBI and an RPM - why not just take a line out from the Parallel/uneffected output? I've been using this method for - well as long as I have owned my M80 (and did the same with the various Sansamps I have owned)

so

Bass --> Sansamp RBI (high end grind) --> Channel A of Peavey DPC1400 Amp --> 1st Genz Benz Neox 2x12
Parallel output --> Sansamp RPM (clean low end) --> Channel B of Peavey DPC1400 Amp --> 2nd Genz Benz Neox 2x12

Also - Page 7 of the RPM manual tells you how to chain both together in parallel or Bi-Amp mode, which will achieve exactly what you need without a splitter box :)

Farmer61 - thanks but that pedal only switches between channels - it doesn't seem to combine.

Dood - I tried that the other day but it didn't seem to work(?).... hmmm, maybe I wired it wrong - will have to try again later :)

Edited by cetera

That Palmer unit looks great. Simple and small... but pricey.

Do you need the ability to drop one out (i.e. switchable ABY), or are you just running both full-bore all the way (i.e. you just need a decent splitter)?

This might be an old-fashioned (or just plain-old f***in' bonkers) view, but I tend to go for the thing that'll do exactly what I want -- no more, no less. If it does anything extra, I feel like I've wasted some of my budget on features I don't need, when I could have spent more on a better box that did only the stuff I [i]did[/i] need.

Does that make sense? :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='947313' date='Sep 6 2010, 03:38 PM']Do you need the ability to drop one out (i.e. switchable ABY), or are you just running both full-bore all the way (i.e. you just need a decent splitter)?[/quote]

Just a decent splitter to be honest.... :)

[quote name='cetera' post='947264' date='Sep 6 2010, 02:54 PM']Farmer61 - thanks but that pedal only switches between channels - it doesn't seem to combine.[/quote]
But according to your diagram, you don't need to combine- you just need to split to the two preamps which then go into separate amp channels, no?
If you actually want to split your signal into high and low bands and recombine them to one channel, something like the [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=xm"]SFX X+M[/url] seems to be very highly regarded- the builder is a BCer too.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='947477' date='Sep 6 2010, 06:23 PM']But according to your diagram, you don't need to combine- you just need to split to the two preamps which then go into separate amp channels, no?
If you actually want to split your signal into high and low bands and recombine them to one channel, something like the [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=xm"]SFX X+M[/url] seems to be very highly regarded- the builder is a BCer too.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant run both at the same time....

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='947421' date='Sep 6 2010, 05:23 PM']i take it you like the sound of the bass on sonic boom too! lol[/quote]

I sure do! :rolleyes:
But that's not what I want this rig for....
My other rig takes care of the 'Gene' tone :)

[quote name='umph' post='947766' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:46 PM']i think you could very well get away with a passive jobbie for this purpose, if you get hum though i can draw you up something to show you how to make a transformer balanced splitter.[/quote]

Thanks, any 'passive' suggestions?

I really can't understand why it hasn't worked Cetera! - I've most defintely had it working for a long time in my own rigs. As I say, the last two contenders have been the MXR M80 with a parallel out and also the Sansamp ParaDriver, which is the pedal version of the RPM.

What were you finding not working about it?

Here's a possible option - if you have a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal - both of those outputs work at the same time, and apparently with no signal degradation. This sounds highly suspect, except that it was shown to me by Joylan Thomas on a session he was engineering alongside Ken Thomas producing. Ken Thomas was heavily involved in a lot of the early Sigur Ros records, and more recently the last Moby record. I don't say this to name drop but rather that if it was good enough sonically for them in a studio then I'll take it!!!

[quote name='dood' post='948223' date='Sep 7 2010, 01:02 PM']I really can't understand why it hasn't worked Cetera! - I've most defintely had it working for a long time in my own rigs. As I say, the last two contenders have been the MXR M80 with a parallel out and also the Sansamp ParaDriver, which is the pedal version of the RPM.

What were you finding not working about it?[/quote]

Sorry chaps! Dodgy lead meant the link between RPM & RBI wasn't working... *blush*

Got it sorted now so don't need a splitter box after all!

Thanks everyone for your help though & apologies if I've wasted anyone's time.... :)

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='948306' date='Sep 7 2010, 02:04 PM']Here's a possible option - if you have a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal - both of those outputs work at the same time, and apparently with no signal degradation. This sounds highly suspect, except that it was shown to me by Joylan Thomas on a session he was engineering alongside Ken Thomas producing. Ken Thomas was heavily involved in a lot of the early Sigur Ros records, and more recently the last Moby record. I don't say this to name drop but rather that if it was good enough sonically for them in a studio then I'll take it!!![/quote]

yeah, i've used my TU-2 for this and never noticed any signal probs.

Honestly?!? It's AWESOME!

I have the two 2x12's stacked vertically with the top cab blasting the overdriven, grinding hi mids from the RBI..... and the bottom cab blasting the solid, thick, round & clean lows from the RPM....

Running each on a separate channel of the power amp means I can adjust the individual volume of each to find the perfect combination of thundering lows and grinding highs! :)