Why become a member? ×

Fixed Bass!

rOB

Recently had a crackly jack socket on my Schecter C4. Bearing in mind my own technical capabilities (very limited) I had a bit of a peek at the electronics and managed to replace the socket the other day.

I was a bit nervous about using a soldering iron for the first time since school but found it surprisingly easy.

Hugely pleased that its fixed and proud that I managed it myself.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='mep' post='946647' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:37 PM']Nice one. Every musician with an electric instrument should get to grips with a soldering iron. If it's not your bass then it's some lead or connection that needs fixing.[/quote]
I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron - been doing it for something like 20-odd years - but I still have pangs of nervousness when opening up my bass' control cavity (silly, really). I've made my own 1/4" leads, XLR cable and speaker cables, not to mention all other types of cables and extension cords.

Think the toughest job was rewiring our stage multi (24 sends, 4 returns). Still, was glad I took the plunge and modded my spare bass (the Ibanez)

HTH, Ian

Here's a couple of piccies:

[quote name='mep' post='946647' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:37 PM']Nice one. Every musician with an electric instrument should get to grips with a soldering iron. If it's not your bass then it's some lead or connection that needs fixing.[/quote]

For sure, reading an article on somewhere (probably here) about electrical safety for musicians made me want to give it a go rather than taking it to a pro.

Does anyone have any recommendations for further reading on maintenance of basses/amps/cables? I'd like to do more but don't want to electrocute myself/damage any gear.