Why become a member? ×

Who actually plays vintage Fenders?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:24 PM' post='946389']
And with that line up who wouldnt? OK Maybe the wife if she knew what those three together are worth!
[/quote

the great thing about them is that to her they look like old beaten up cheap guitars - shhhhhh!

My feeling on the whole playing a vintage bass thing is.... it probably already got a few knocks on it already. Use it. Gig it. It's what it was made to do. If it's spotless with no dents, refin etc etc then yeah, keep it for investment... but a "player's bass" (as they so like to call the knocked up ones in vintage shops) is actually IMO a great piece of terminology - I use my '72 LP at gigs that suit it and I love it. A "player's bass". [i]Its for playing.[/i] Enjoy it. :)

Edited by Stag

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='946430' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:53 PM']I only started this thread to make a point that people do actually use vintage and rare guitars (and amps!) but it has backfired and just given me even more GAS for old gear, You just cant beat the real thing even if it has a refin.[/quote]
Mwah ha ha ha :)

Vintage gear is expensive (unless you're really lucky!), but starting off with not-so-vintage and then 'trading up' can be a good way to go. I started with a 72 P-Bass - played it to death for a good few years and then sold that, a few other bits and bobs and put in a few hundred pounds and got the 62. I traded up/older by 10 years!

Unless you're really unlucky you're very unlikely to lose out financially with a vintage instrument. It's great that you can get some use out of something whilst it slowly increases in value, or at worst stays the same. If only the same was true with cars!

The obvious problem being that if you can't bear to part with instruments and have to keep them all along the way - that's going to get very expensive indeed!!

Anyone else done the same?

Andrew

If I had a vintage Smith or Alembic, I would absolutely play it on gigs. Alas, I have to do with my 21st century made basses.

I've [i]never [/i]rehearsed or gigged with a Fender.* I've sold a few for nice overheads, though. They make for a fantastic turnover of inventory! I can generally sell them before they arrive from UK or US to Finland! Negative storage period, baby!

*I had a Moon Larry Graham 5 and a Yamaha TRB JP2 and a Sadowsky Metro (didn't make it into a rehearsal before sale, though) that had bolt-on neck and jazz-bass type pickups from bart and yamaha respectively. Do those count as jazz basses?

[quote name='Twigman' post='950759' date='Sep 9 2010, 03:59 PM']I don't suppose my 83 Squier JV62 Precision counts....it's the only bass I've owned for the last 27years and gets played all the time.
It's almost a Fender....and almost Vintage[/quote]
Supposedly it's 25yrs so you can class that as vintage