Why become a member? ×

Simplest Jamerson bassline: where to start?

lanark

As the title says. I love JJ's style, but they're all so complex - every repeat seems to be different. So where would be a good entry point to plug in to the great man's style before buying the whole Shadows of Motown book / cd / dvd etc?

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='944304' date='Sep 3 2010, 10:22 AM']As the title says. I love JJ's style, but they're all so complex - every repeat seems to be different. So where would be a good entry point to plug in to the great man's style before buying the whole Shadows of Motown book / cd / dvd etc?[/quote]

You can't hurry love. That's about the only line of his that I can play start to finish. You just need to try and avoid thinking about Phil Collins!

Maybe Start with some Bob Babbitt instead as his lines were very JJ but had a more repetetive structure, Sign Sealed Delivered is a good one (I'm pretty sure this is BB). Born To Love Her is another fairly repetetive one (ish) but this time with JJ.

I do hope I've got my facts straight on this as I'm not keen of the heat a good flaming generates :)

Edited by ezbass

To start try Can I Get A Witness by Marvin Gaye, Baby Love by The Supremes, Too Many Fish In The Sea by The Marvelettes, Money by Barratt Strong and Twist And Shout by The Isley Brothers.

Start at the beginning like James Jamerson did. He played bass for Motown for 15 years and for the first half he mostly played root and 5.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chardbass' post='944589' date='Sep 3 2010, 02:47 PM']My Girl?
Simple re chords and tempo. It's all about note lengths and articulation.[/quote]

I think that one shows that simplicity can be both effective and beautiful. I really like that line.

"Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" is a definate must buy. My favourite to play, (or try in my case) is "It's The Same Old Song" by the Temptations, not overly difficult but satisfying.

Another benefit to the book is the absence of tablature, everything is in notation, forcing me to read music.

Edited by MSL