Why become a member? ×

DiMarzio Model Ultra Jazz Pickups

dave_bass5

Having just got a new Jazz bass, and being the type of person who likes to waste money i want to upgrade the pups in the HW-one.

Ive got a set of Wizard custom 74's in my CV Jazz and these sound great with that bass but i want something a bit more full range and sparkly if thats possible. A more modern tone rather than vintage i guess.

I've heard great things about the Ultra Jazz pups but cant get to try them.

Any thoughts, suggestions most welcome.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='941046' date='Aug 31 2010, 03:21 PM']Cheers Clarky.

I must admit i have no idea what most of the 3rd party jazz pups sound like so i need to do a bit of reading up on them.

I dont want to spend a fortunes on them though so Nordys, Fralins and the higher end pups are out.[/quote]
Drop SiBob a PM, Dave. I think he has tried several types of Jazz pickup, including UltraJazzes

[quote name='Clarky' post='941050' date='Aug 31 2010, 03:28 PM']Drop SiBob a PM, Dave. I think he has tried several types of Jazz pickup, including UltraJazzes[/quote]

Will do, cheers for that.

I was just looking through the jazz pup mega thread over no TB. lots to get through so bang goes getting any work done today lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got them in my Overwater paired up with a J-retro and they give a big fat full sound, slightly retro, but they can snarl and snap as well.

You can hear them on this little demo [url="http://youtu.be/6n8xWr_n5kk?a"]Here[/url]

Setup: Ultra Jazz -> J -Retro (set 'flat') -> SM-1500 (set 'flat') -> D.I. into SD9 desk mixed in with SM-1500 through Schroeder 21012 through unknown high end room mike into SD9.

[quote name='JPJ' post='951738' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:41 PM']I've got them in my Overwater paired up with a J-retro and they give a big fat full sound, slightly retro, but they can snarl and snap as well.

You can hear them on this little demo [url="http://youtu.be/6n8xWr_n5kk?a"]Here[/url]

Setup: Ultra Jazz -> J -Retro (set 'flat') -> SM-1500 (set 'flat') -> D.I. into SD9 desk mixed in with SM-1500 through Schroeder 21012 through unknown high end room mike into SD9.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply but im not sure how much ill get by listening to your recordings. Im just planing on going passive bass - amp - cab. Your setup is so different to mine that i wouldn't be able to compare and not sure exactly how much the J retro, Schro etc has added to the tone.

Ill have a listen though.

[quote name='JPJ' post='951738' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:41 PM']I've got them in my Overwater paired up with a J-retro and they give a big fat full sound, slightly retro, but they can snarl and snap as well.

Setup: Ultra Jazz -> J -Retro (set 'flat') -> SM-1500 (set 'flat') -> D.I. into SD9 desk mixed in with SM-1500 through Schroeder 21012 through unknown high end room mike into SD9.[/quote]

Just had a look at your vid. Thats a lovely tone you have there.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='941038' date='Aug 31 2010, 03:07 PM']Having just got a new Jazz bass, and being the type of person who likes to waste money i want to upgrade the pups in the HW-one.

Ive got a set of Wizard custom 74's in my CV Jazz and these sound great with that bass but i want something a bit more full range and sparkly if thats possible. A more modern tone rather than vintage i guess.

I've heard great things about the Ultra Jazz pups but cant get to try them.

Any thoughts, suggestions most welcome.[/quote]

The Ultra pickup had its' mid range scooped out a bit, better for a better slap bass sound, so I was told a few years ago by Dimarzio UK's rep.

Cheers guys.

Ive put my Wizards in the bass, mainly to hear how they sound compared to the stock pups. Although ive only done one gig so far with them in this bass, i's pretty happy with them and will probably stick with them for a while.

They have more kick than the stocks, probably a bit darker with less sparkle so not exactly what i was looking for when i started this thread, but enough of an improvement to keep me happy for a while........at lest for this week ;-)