Why become a member? ×

Fender Jaguar - Tell me all about them

Linus27

Been slightly interested in the Fender Jaguar but don't really know anything about them. I notice they have a ton of switches on them but again, no idea what they all do. I guess maybe an active passive switch?

Anyway, what are they like tonally? Would they make a good alternative to a Jazz bass, being able to create similar Jazz bass tones? What are the necks like as in chunky precision or skinny Jazz etc. Should they be avoided? I kind of like the funky retro look.

Any info appreciated :)

Well I have one, I got it straight from the factory in japan, it came beautifully setup, although I chaned the bridge to a badass 2 an it lost all it's vibe so put the factory standard back on.

On the treble side, you have on/off switch for each pickup and a parallel/series switch.

The bass side gives you an on/off switch for the active EQ. And two roller swtches;one for bass one for treble. Master tone and master volume

The neck is the standard jazz profile, although mine seems a bit thinner than other standard hazard I've played, it's also finished in the orangy lacquer for vintage vibe.

Tone wise, it's a jazz tone basically. 70s spacing so it's a got an extra treble bite, also the added switches gives you a lot of variation.

My only negative is the pickups and active EQ.
The pickups are the cheap ceramic ones, I upgraded mine to fender custom shop 60s and the overall sound is a lot better, a lot clearer but still aggressive. The active eq (on mine) is very boomy past half way on the bass, the knobs arnt very graduated like on higher end pre-amps.
However it's basic passive tone with the original pickups is very good. But it's so much better with alnico magnet pickups.

That's it really, I've had mine since last November and it's about the only bass I can't bare to part with. It's a nice change though from the basic jazz design.

in my experiance theyre great for a few weeks. but after having to spend ages setting up all the dials right got abit teedius for me. played nicely though, looked rather cool. Personnaly ide say its not a good alternative to the jazz as the jazz wins hands down tonnally. THe active preamp was ok, the 2 band eq was quite tricky for me to use.

Edited by Master blaster

[quote name='Master blaster' post='940816' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:42 AM']in my experiance theyre great for a few weeks. but after having to spend ages setting up all the dials right got abit teedius for me. played nicely though, looked rather cool. THe active preamp was ok, the 2 band eq was quite tricky for me to use.[/quote]

What he said. I loved the look of my Jag, but got completely hacked off trying to get a good tone out of it. I'm a tone / volume kind of bloke, so maybe the Jag (with its multiple switches, controls and knobs) wasn't for me. I did like the neck on it, though - nice and slim and fast.

I'm quite tempted by the VM Jag, though. Seems as though it potentially has the looks of the Jag, but without the complicated (to me!) electronics.

I've got a black one that I've had for about 3 years now I think. I've kept mine stock in terms of bridge and pickups. The electronics really aren't complicated at all.

I really like the tone of it, I tend not to bother with the active EQ and have both pick-ups on and in series for quite an agressive sound. It sounds especially good played with a pick this way.

I think most, if not all (some of them are a bit older...) the recordings on my band's [url="http://www.myspace.com/lastofthesirens"]myspace[/url] were played with it if having a listen helps you figure out better what they sound like.

I must confess I havent played one but I remember having a conversation with Jezzaboy about one he had. It went along the lines of the bass was lovely to look and and play but the electronics are flawed due to the cheap components and it sounded pretty bad - could never get a great tone from it.

What about the upcoming Squier VM Jaguar bass? You'll get the aesthetics, probably save a good bit and can then upgrade. Plus, fewer switches so less faffing around.

The phrase I coined when first playing one was Turbo Jazz. It feels very like a Jazz with the skinny neck & tonally the pickups make them sound more Jazz like than the Precision bass - for obvious reasons. The Hot Rod Red has the uber cool matching headstock and they are all MIJ which scores points for me. The body is quite small & [s]you[/s] I can get easily confused with all the switches. Effectively you have an active option and a passive option but can mix and match loads of different settings. The reality is that you won't use at least 75% of the settings but then that's no different from the average amp or effects unit, is it? You can configure the switches in such a way it kills all the tone which makes you think it's broken but there is a[b] lot [/b]of tonal variation on offer (something for everyone?). I found them to be light (but not too light) and well balanced. I love the retro stylings although it is of course a recent (last 5yrs) invention. I think these are going to spoken about in the same hushed tones that people mention the JV series in a few years. Where it fell down for me was I'm 6ft 3 and the bass gets a little lost on me. It's full scale but a small body. I prefer something like a Precision or a Jazz that looks a bit more in preportion. For me it was one of the best basses of the 21st Century and I don't say that lightly.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='941028' date='Aug 31 2010, 02:57 PM']Ugly, Woolworth guitar looking things.....IMHO of course :-)

Great tone though, from what ive hear. A mate has one and i cant stand the look of it but it sounds lovely.[/quote]

Give it 6 months and you'll be asking the same questions and looking to buy one :):):rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='941033' date='Aug 31 2010, 03:02 PM']Give it 6 months and you'll be asking the same questions and looking to buy one :):):rolleyes:[/quote]

Probably :-)

Nah, my mates had one for a few years. It does sound nice but i really cant get over the look of it. Its more those cheap (IMHO) looking switches and stumpy bottom horn.
I did like the look of the Squier VM Jag though, but i know thats a different beast altogether.

Aye, the Jag I had wasn`t up to much. It was quite heavy and buzzed like a bugger if you were near a lighting rig and had it in active mode. Didn`t sound that good either. Having said that, most people who have them seem to like em so mine must have been a "Kinyobi bass".

That`s Japanese for friday. :)

And watch that you don`t switch both pickups off.

Jez

• 2 months later...

Good bass, but like a lot of the MIJ Fenders, they seem to have rocketed in price recently (RRP nearly a grand!) and they've discontinued the Red!!

It's a good way to get a cool vintage vibe, the sound of a Jazz bass and active circuitry. I was pretty impressed with the one I tried, it was a great price and I kinda regret not buying it.

As said above - best to try one.

I bought one of the first Sunburst ones, as soon as you could get them,
from the now defunct Guitar Emporium.
It was one of the very few basses that I have bought that was new.

I think it's a Marmite thing - I just couldn't get on with it - never gigged
it and only did a very short rehearsal with it - shame, as I'd wanted one
as soon as I saw it.
The electrics, as mentioned by someone else, weren't that sparkling.

Sold it on very quickly and the new owner was "Truly Over The Moon",
as he said!

As I said, it's a Marmite thing. :)

Cheers. :)

Burritobass is bang on with the 'turbojazz' quote.

I have one and I love it to bits. Its my go to bass and I feel guitly having my bongo sitting alone sometimes.

The tone is bassy and aggresive and is freakin sweet. However all you have to do is have only the bridge pickup selected and boost the treble and its a lovely thin and punchy sound.. Keep in mind it has all those lush tones inbetween!!!!!

Its sex to look at and sex to play. These really are a 1 stop shop and although the electrics get slated I must admit I must have got a goodun cos either being in passive, active.....parallel or series,,,,, these basses deliver on every avenue.