Why become a member? ×

Thinking about giving flats a go

Hoppo75

[quote name='BB2000' post='941578' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:46 PM']Wow - the last time I bought chromes they were £15 - now £29![/quote]

Yeah, i was shocked recently when i wanted some. I ended up getting a used set off OHM on here for £18.

In the past ive been giving my Chrormes away, thinking ill never use them again but i keep going back to them so im hanging on to this set now, even though i expect ill take them off my Jazz within the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Gigged the flat wounds last night and they've just blown me away!!! Amazing depth with a beautifully creamy, clean tone (love the 'click' too). They cut through the mix wonderfully, even with a drummer who built 3 sheds last night!!! Like others, I wish I'd put them on the P bass years ago, but it does seem at long last I have the live sound I've been after for years. Anyone currently thinking about giving flats a go, please, please do it...you won't be disappointed.

Thanks once again to all who helped the decision.....I'm not disappointed :)

Edited by Hoppo75

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend flats that have that duyll mellow sound from the mooment they're put on? I've to switch a set of brand new Chromes that were put (by the shop) onto my new CV Jazz because they were too clanky - especially when pressing down (I don't want a ting when pressing against the fret).

Funnily enough, I don't remember my first set of Chromes being this bad - but the memory is a funny old thing.

So --- when I get another set of flats, what would you recommend that don't need several weeks worth of wearing in?

EDIT: I was thinking of starting a new thread, but figured there were enough about flats already.

Can anyone recommend flats that have that dull mellow sound from the moment they're put on? I've had to switch a set of brand new Chromes that were put (by the shop) onto my new CV Jazz, for a year old set from my old P-bass because the new ones were far too clanky - especially when pressing down (I don't want a ting when pressing against the fret).

Funnily enough, I don't remember my first set of Chromes being this bad - but the memory is a funny old thing.

So --- when I get another set of flats, what would you recommend that don't need several weeks worth of wearing in?

EDIT: I was thinking of starting a new thread, but figured there were enough about flats already.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='966665' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:36 PM']Can anyone recommend flats that have that duyll mellow sound from the mooment they're put on? I've to switch a set of brand new Chromes that were put (by the shop) onto my new CV Jazz because they were too clanky - especially when pressing down (I don't want a ting when pressing against the fret).

EDIT: I was thinking of starting a new thread, but figured there were enough about flats already.[/quote]
Pyramid Golds can sound dead straight out of the packet.

[quote name='lanark' post='966667' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:36 PM']Can anyone recommend flats that have that dull mellow sound from the moment they're put on? I've had to switch a set of brand new Chromes that were put (by the shop) onto my new CV Jazz, for a year old set from my old P-bass because the new ones were far too clanky - especially when pressing down (I don't want a ting when pressing against the fret).[/quote]
The tone knob is your friend...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='966685' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:46 PM']The tone knob is your friend...[/quote]

Yeah, but only so far (and I get DId straight into the PA when gigging - so I can't tune it out with the amp).

Besides - you don't get flats to use the tone knob to reduce the brightness (unless you have a fretless, I suppose).

[quote name='lanark' post='966699' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:59 PM']Yeah, but only so far (and I get DId straight into the PA when gigging - so I can't tune it out with the amp).

Besides - you don't get flats to use the tone knob to reduce the brightness (unless you have a fretless, I suppose).[/quote]
Well, I'd probably roll the treble off even with flats.

I agree that Chromes can be relatively clanky (for flats) but also playing with right hand nearer the fingerboard can help as can playing more lightly.

[quote name='lanark' post='966701' date='Sep 24 2010, 02:00 PM']Cool - the extra cost might well be worth it. Are their black tape ones good for that too?[/quote]
The extra cost of some flats is an incentive to stick with them until they are dead.

I like the Pyramid black nylons too but I think there is quite a lot of personal taste in this matter and I'd be dubious about getting you to spend £40 on my say so. With any string there's a risk you won't like them.

Maybe you could offer the Chromes up for trade for a set of used Pyramids (or any other flat).

[quote name='lanark' post='966667' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:36 PM']Can anyone recommend flats that have that dull mellow sound from the moment they're put on? I've had to switch a set of brand new Chromes that were put (by the shop) onto my new CV Jazz, for a year old set from my old P-bass because the new ones were far too clanky - especially when pressing down (I don't want a ting when pressing against the fret).

EDIT: I was thinking of starting a new thread, but figured there were enough about flats already.[/quote]

I recommend the rotosound trubass strings - tape wound so no clank. They only come in one size (massive) but don't let that put you off as they are very supple and easy to play. Herbie Flowers uses them and Paul mcCartney used them on his Hofner. They have a huge sound (really fill the bottem end nicely) and a great double bass percussive punch. Great when recorded and in a quieter band situation and I'm sure they'd be fantastic through a PA too. I've had nothing but compliments about the sound from people when I've used them.

If you want that Sgt Pepper kind of sound these are the strings for you.

If you play in a death metal band they're probably not.

Edited by gjones