Why become a member? ×

FS: Tokai Custom Edition P Bass (Jap early 80's)

GazWills

Hi.

With much regret i'm going to have to move on my 80's Tokai Custom Edition Precision bass. I love it to bits, but the neck is a bit too chunky for me. I have an early 80's JV squire and 80's stingray, and the neck profiles on those are pretty thin. I don't know what era P-bass the Tokai is based on, but it's a clubbier/chunkier profile neck than i'm used to, and i just can't adapt :)

Anyway, the bass looks, plays and sounds immense, tone wise is exactly as i remember my 2002 corona made US fender P sounding (good, deep, woody, clunky sound). Sunburst, with RW fingerboard, pics below.

Without wanting to talk this thing up, i've never come across another 'custom edition' tokai P before. Jap made and I think it's mid-1980's, but there is very little info on these models on the net (even on the tokai registory). The headstock is 100% fender P shaped (I believe Tokai had to change the shape of headstocks following the legal problems with fender in the 80's), and it also has 'oldies but goldies' in italic on the top of the headstock (something i think was only seen on the lawsuit era guitars??).

£400.

Edited by GazWills

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='karlfer' post='953304' date='Sep 12 2010, 07:01 AM']Hello Gaz Wills,
sure this has gone, but I sent you a PM last week.
If you still have it could you PM me please.
Cheers,
Karl.[/quote]

hey Karl,

sorry, been on my hols for a few weeks and somehow missed your message, just replied to you.

Not after trades any more as really need the cash...

[quote name='GazWills' post='934812' date='Aug 24 2010, 02:20 PM']I believe Tokai had to change the shape of headstocks following the legal problems with fender in the 80's[/quote] - Nope.

[quote name='GazWills' post='934812' date='Aug 24 2010, 02:20 PM'][I]t also has 'oldies but goldies' in italic on the top of the headstock (something i think was only seen on the lawsuit era guitars??)[/quote] - Nope.

Fender took issue with Tokai approximating the Fender logo, commonly referred to as the spaghetti logo, not any other feature or characteristic of the Tokai instruments. There's nothing remotely "lawsuit" about the bass you're selling.

By 1985 Tokai was using a new shape in the US on the headstock with a flattened end in response to legal demands from Fender. All the Fender style basses Tokai brought to NAMM in 1985 had this flattened headstock and much of the booth stock was sold to Freedom Guitars on Sunset in Hollywood. Tokai went back to the original headstock for the guitars they eventually made for Fender.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote name='noelk27' post='996517' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:27 PM']- Nope.

- Nope.

Fender took issue with Tokai approximating the Fender logo, commonly referred to as the spaghetti logo, not any other feature or characteristic of the Tokai instruments. There's nothing remotely "lawsuit" about the bass you're selling.[/quote]

jeez, just trying to sell the thing, i don't claim to be a world expert on tokai's!

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='996615' date='Oct 22 2010, 06:09 AM']By 1985 Tokai was using a new shape in the US on the headstock with a flattened end in response to legal demands from Fender. All the Fender style basses Tokai brought to NAMM in 1985 had this headstock and much of the booth stock was sold to Freedom Guitars on Sunset in Hollywood. Tokai went back to the original headstock for the guitars they eventually made for Fender.[/quote]

yeah, that's what i read on the web, think it was the tokai registory?

not trying to bump up price by claiming this bass is something it's not - just not much info on the net on tokai's of this age that i can find.

[quote name='GazWills' post='996823' date='Oct 22 2010, 02:47 AM']yeah, that's what i read on the web, think it was the tokai registory?

not trying to bump up price by claiming this bass is something it's not - just not much info on the net on tokai's of this age that i can find.[/quote]
I hope I didn't come off as challenging the price :) I bought one in 1985 and it was my main bass for about 8 years.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='997748' date='Oct 23 2010, 05:21 AM']I hope I didn't come off as challenging the price :) I bought one in 1985 and it was my main bass for about 8 years.[/quote]
Not at all. :lol:
Plus i now know likely age too, was guessing mid-80's

[quote name='jakesbass' post='999072' date='Oct 24 2010, 05:40 PM']Hi Gaz,
I PM'd you on friday....
Any answers?
Jake[/quote]

Hey Jake,

wasn't near the internet over the weekend so only picked up your message this afternoon - replied just now though.

cheers