Why become a member? ×

Musician's Union and The Incorporated Society of Musicians

Dood

There are obviously millions of posts and threads supporting the MU, but do we have any ISM members and can anyone offer any real world comparisons as to why one would be a better choice than the other?

I've about 20 'net pages open in front of me including various discussions, but would love to hear what the Bass Playing fraternity have to say on the subject. (Because I know I will get a down to earth and insightful reply!!)

Dood.

Well, the responses kinda speak for themselves so far I think!

[url="http://www.ism.org/"]http://www.ism.org/[/url]

[quote]We are the UK’s professional body for musicians. We champion the importance of music and protect the rights of those working within music through a range of services, campaigns, support and practical advice.
We offer peace of mind with our high quality legal expertise, casework and comprehensive insurance and are proud of the assistance we have given our members since 1882.[/quote]

I heard about the ISM some years ago but realized it's pretty much geared toward Classical musicians, composers, conductors, etc., though they don't actually identify it as such.
They also have a database of orchestral instrument tutors that does include guitar (Classical) and of course double bass but, typically, not bass guitar! <horrors! :rolleyes:>
There are a few smaller societies and organisations for musicians (e.g. - The Association of British Orchestras (ABO)) but if your area of music is in either rock, folk, jazz, soul, funk, country, blues, etc., then it's gotta be the MU. :)

Edited by Stingray5

[quote name='Stingray5' post='931605' date='Aug 21 2010, 04:09 AM']I heard about the ISM some years ago but realized it's pretty much geared toward Classical musicians, composers, conductors, etc., though they don't actually identify it as such.
They also have a database of orchestral instrument tutors that does include guitar (Classical) and of course double bass but, typically, not bass guitar! <horrors! :rolleyes:>
There are a few smaller societies and organisations for musicians (e.g. - The Association of British Orchestras (ABO)) but if your area of music is in either rock, folk, jazz, soul, funk, country, blues, etc., then it's gotta be the MU. :)[/quote]

The MU is the guidline for what the basic pay rate for Musicians should be, not the ISM.
Any producer, fixer or Broadcast company [BBC etc] would use/issue the MU pay structure/contract on their guidlines.
Of course a lot of pubs/clubs do not always abide by those, as you all know.
You will always try and get more if you can, but the MU scale would help you when negotiating as a base rate.
This would be any style of Music,Classical,Jazz,rock or what ever.

The ISM along with a few others are just a gentlemans club, dont really do much, a bit of a throw back to the golden days,
and infact a bit of snobbery involved.
A few years ago the MU were starting to become a bit of a joke [way behind the times with technology and Music styles]
And only really catering for Broadcast and West end/Theatre Musicians.
but they have now re-branded their whole approach.

Garry

Edited by lowdown