Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker MG 4003 FL

Shaggy

• 5 months later...

Just throwing this back in the ring once more, in case anyone missed it first time around........

Had a noodle on it this afternoon, and it's an astonishing fretless, really tops every other I've played except for my Wal.

Try an offer - can only say no!

cheers, Greg :)

[quote name='G-funk45' post='1169674' date='Mar 20 2011, 04:41 PM']I dont suppose there is any chance of some sound clips. I am seriously interested in this.[/quote]

A bit beyond my very limited IT skills! :) Going to have to suss it out one of these days

Best I can say is;

[list=1]
[*]I travel to Cambridge fairly regularly, could meet at a services on M25 and try through my compact rig in a quiet corner of McDonalds.............(pretend we're busking)
[*]Buy on "approval", you're not happy I take it back, costs us a postage each (£25-ish by Interparcel)
[/list]

Strings make a huge difference of course; the Pyramids Golds fitted are very "jazz" mellow and upright-bassy, I put D'addario half-rounds on my maple-board fretless Fender P which instantly made it far brighter and growlier; closer to a roundwound tone but still flatwound feel.

• 1 month later...

Bank Holiday offer of £950 (& shipping), lasting only whilst the guitar I've got my eye on is still available! :)

Just put some light guage d'Addario half-round nickels on this which definitely add a bit more zing and growl to the "mwah", will include the Pyramid Gold flats which are light use only.

Also throw in an as-new genuine Ric strap (logo embossed on shoulder pad), Canadian-made all thick black leather. :)

Edited by Shaggy

I've always fancied a fretless Rickenbacker (although I'd like a fretless Wal even more) & if I wasn't facing possible redundancy at the moment I'd be very interested. Why the non-original truss rod cover?

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='Stag' post='1216502' date='May 1 2011, 12:48 PM']And what is this bass you are looking at... is it my Gibson? :)[/quote]

Still GAS-ing for your LP, but I assumed you'd be keeping it now you've funded your Jetglo 4003? Actually what I'm looking at is also a Les Paul - but a six-stringer. Playing more rythm these days, and too many basses!

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1216582' date='May 1 2011, 02:46 PM']I've always fancied a fretless Rickenbacker (although I'd like a fretless Wal even more) & if I wasn't facing possible redundancy at the moment I'd be very interested. Why the non-original truss rod cover?[/quote]

My main fretless is a Wal Mk 1 Custom, but the Ric is just as special in a slightly different way,mainly as it does that organic woody upright bass-y sound that no active can quite do and has probably the best sustain of any I've played.

Re the TRC; Beedster completed this bass in 2009 from a NOS bass that the UK dealer had removed some parts from as spares - the TRC and jack plate were the only 2nd hand Ric components, taken from a '70's 4001. Should've put that in the initial post, so apologies for that

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stag' post='1242568' date='May 24 2011, 07:29 AM']So good you had to buy it back? Love it! Lol[/quote]
What will happen next is Beedster will sell it to me, I will then trade it back to Beedster in return for an amp plus cash, which he will later proceed to buy back off me. Eventually we meet in a dodgy service station and in an emotional moment I then sell the bass back to him for the third time. Or something like that :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1243376' date='May 24 2011, 08:09 PM']What will happen next is Beedster will sell it to me, I will then trade it back to Beedster in return for an amp plus cash, which he will later proceed to buy back off me. Eventually we meet in a dodgy service station and in an emotional moment I then sell the bass back to him for the third time. Or something like that :)[/quote]

If only it were that simple :)

Rehearsed it last night. first time I've played electric bass with the band for almost a year. Took a bit of time to get the sound right, but once I did it was sweet as! the old '60s toaster Greg installed is lovely. Rehearsing the maple fretless Precision tomorrow :lol:

[quote name='Clarky' post='1243376' date='May 24 2011, 08:09 PM']What will happen next is Beedster will sell it to me, I will then trade it back to Beedster in return for an amp plus cash, which he will later proceed to buy back off me. Eventually we meet in a dodgy service station and in an emotional moment I then sell the bass back to him for the third time. Or something like that :)[/quote]

You have no idea how close to the truth you are............ :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1243395' date='May 24 2011, 08:24 PM']Rehearsed it last night. first time I've played electric bass with the band for almost a year. Took a bit of time to get the sound right, but once I did it was sweet as! the old '60s toaster Greg installed is lovely. Rehearsing the maple fretless Precision tomorrow :lol:[/quote]

Glad to hear that, and yes; Rics always need a bit of "fettling" to give their best - which strings did you use after?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Love this instrument loads but the recent acquisition of a Sabre fretless (and recent move to rural Wales and no band action) means that I can't see me using it in anger any time soon, if ever. So, I may move it on given the right deal or volume of cash, and given the present economic climate a grand would prize it from my grubby little fingers (not a bad deal given that the bridge horseshoe alone was £250..... :rolleyes:)

Chris

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1353954865' post='1880243']
Mega deal for a mega bass here... I thought this was "the one" tho Beeds?
[/quote]

It kinda is 'the one' mate, but I'm just not prioritising bass that much anymore, and much as I love this thing, could probably use the money on more important things right now. It's a unique instrument; as Greg said above, with the exception of the contours, it's to all intents a fretless v63 (only in my opinion better built and better playing than any of the v63s I've played (the neck is simply outstanding).

Having said this, I'm not going to be heartbroken if it doesn't sell, I've been considering getting it fretted also, which would probably make it more useful for gigging. Well, gigging with beer anyway!

C

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! You can't be serious - and that's a crazy, crazy price with those p/up upgrades.....

If I hadn't just lashed out on a Kramer 650B at the weekend I'd be having this back....still might! Especially as it's yn Cymru

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1353946238' post='1880065']
Love this instrument loads but the recent acquisition of a Sabre fretless (and recent move to rural Wales and no band action) means that I can't see me using it in anger any time soon, if ever. So, I may move it on given the right deal or volume of cash, and given the present economic climate a grand would prize it from my grubby little fingers (not a bad deal given that the bridge horseshoe alone was £250..... :rolleyes:)

Chris
[/quote]

For our overseas friends 'a grand' = £1000 :)