Why become a member? ×

Thinking of a complete overhaul

deej

Basically, im not happy with my tone. Its not that I dont like it, its just that its not working for me and what I do.

I play a Warwick Thumb 5 BO through a GK 1001-RB II into a GK Neo 115. Ive always loved the power and versatility from the GK, but I just dont like how clean and precise it is. Id like to try something more vintage voiced and preferably with a bit of grit in there. Also, I think im just not a 15" speaker kinda person. I like the low end, but I want something more focused. Looking at some 2x12's at the moment. Im not interested in any high end sparkle either, not my sorta thing.

I dont have a lot of experience with different gear so its hard to know what I actually want. My budget will be whatever I get from my current setup, around £700-£800, maybe a bit more if I sell my bass. Been interested in the Orange Terror Bass because of its power and price, and maybe a Schroeder or Matamp cab?

Oh, and I play finger style and use plenty of pedals, if that affects anything. Im joining a new band soon so its as good an excuse as any to make the changes now. I guess alt rock would be the best description.

Any ideas would be great.

[quote name='270degrees' post='928238' date='Aug 18 2010, 12:15 AM']Get yourself along to the Midlands Bass Day. Should get to plug in to a variety of amps/cabs there.
Date and location hasn't been decided yet but should be soon and, erm, in the Midlands.[/quote]

Yeah, Ive got one eye on this. Just depends on date and transport for me.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='928241' date='Aug 18 2010, 12:17 AM']If you want old school, are we talking really old school like tubes?

Best mid way between vintage and modern is a Mark Bass Little Mark 2/3 with a nice Aguilar cabinet.[/quote]

Id love to try a tube amp. The main problem is how expensive a lot of them are. I lost my job earlier in the year so I cant really save up for things right now, I have to sell to buy.

Barefaced 212 without the tweeter (or rolled off) and a LMIII (maybe witha a sansamp VT pedal) or LM Rocker, or one of those little Orange chaps if you want more grind?

Spent an evening with the Barefaced 212 a couple of weeks ago comparing it to my ae410, its a very very classy cab, recommended for those who want to punch hard, takes eq well and I couldnt get close to overpowering it with an LH500 or an sa450.

Also unbelievably light (as are all of Alex's cabs) and very very easy to manage.