Why become a member? ×

Some advice on combos...

Alastair

Hi there,

So I'm thinking of selling on my beloved Markbass LMII and Aguilar rig...long story short: don't have a job any more, going back to uni, could use some cash and something a little more portable (ok so the LMII is fine but the cab weighs a ton).

I've been out of the game for a while when it comes to bass gear so I could use some advice on what to look at for in a good combo that I could use for regular practice and the odd jam sesh (usually with a drummer and guitarist). I would be willing to spend up to £300.

Any help would be mucho appreciated! :)

Also, keep an eye on the for sale threads :lol: :rolleyes:

hey, you should look into getting a nice trace elliot combo! theres a 1210 (a twelve band combo with two 10inch speakers) but they are 500 pounds secondhand but worth it. But theres also combo with a 7 band eq and one 15inch speaker, which is 500watts i believe but without an extra speaker you will get around 250watts (which is still loud). It's definately good enough for the the odd jam and rehearsal!

There is a 715 on sale on the sales forum for £300 pounds.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96344&hl=trace+elliot"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=trace+elliot[/url]

goodluck :)

[quote name='gary mac' post='927141' date='Aug 17 2010, 07:00 AM']Unless I was really strapped, think I would be tempted to sell the heavy cab, buy a lightweight one and keep the LM11.[/quote]

I'd agree with that. I'm also a line6 studio 110 fanboy, but it's not suited to every gig situation you could find yourself in (i.e. where you're not working on a reasonably quiet stage or don't have a decent PA to use for bass reproduction).

EDIT: Pic just loaded - is that a DB112 you're complaining about being too heavy? Pah! Youngsters these days! Don't know they're born... I remember when all this was just fields and we had to walk barefoot through the snow carrying our 8x10 on our back to band practice... blah, blah, blah...

Maybe swap it out for a barefaced midget and keep the LMII?

Edited by Bigwan

As usual, I think a combo will be heavier than your current rig and will not be better value for your money. In my opinion you should keep your amp and get one (or both) of the Epifani UL110 cabs (24lbs) that Mark has for sale at Bass Direct. One Epifani and your LM2 would sound fantastic at practice volumes, 2 cabs would sound great in a band.

Or just take one UL110, keep your DB112 at home and put the two together if you need the extra volume for a band.

Thanks for the replies, can always rely on BC for good honest advice :lol: - as for the DB112 I know, I know it's not THAT bad :rolleyes:

Some interesting points, I will check out the Epifani, line6 and Trace options. Just replacing the cab is something that didn't occur to me really for some reason :)