Why become a member? ×

Help with Effects pedals?

crag42

I'm wondering if you guy's can help me.....

I'm a bass player who has never really used effects pedals.... Ive now got a band going and we are finding ourselves doing a lot of Hendrix and the like with some Kings of leon,Stereophonics, U2 etc thrown in too.....

I'm now wanting to extend my sound with some effects, but i dont know what i should be going for?.... can you guys inform me?..... I dont want anything gimmicky or weird..... just something to really fatten and enhance my tone..

Any help or expertise would be gratefully recieved

Cheers

Craig

If you're new to FX & not sure what you want, then your best option would be a multi FX pedal. Something like the Boss ME50B or one of the countless Line 6 or Zoom pedals, depending on how many pennies you have.
The advantage of this is that you'll find what effects you like & what does what & then know what you want in regards to individual pedals should that time come.

Check out the Tech21 VT Bass and/or Catalinbread SFT pedals (one for sale in the classifieds). Both sound great for rock bass tones, the VT is better for the more grindy sounds played with a pick and roundwounds, the SFT has the edge when it comes to old school tones.

If you just want "fat" then octave down, distortion, compression, and maybe chorus are what you want.

If you ARE interested in trying all sorts of effects, and learning how to use them and what they do etc, then a multie pedal is the best way to go. If you're on a budget the zoom B2 or B2.1U are very good.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='923194' date='Aug 12 2010, 09:02 PM']Check out the Tech21 VT Bass and/or Catalinbread SFT pedals (one for sale in the classifieds). Both sound great for rock bass tones, the VT is better for the more grindy sounds played with a pick and roundwounds, the SFT has the edge when it comes to old school tones.[/quote]

These pedals are what will match the sound you wanted the best. Alot of other pedals can be a bit over the top with distortion

Here's a suggestion: Try different combinations of pickups and strings with different types of amps. For example one brand of string will give you a more desirable tone using a bass with humbucking pickups while going through a solid state amp. The same brand of strings may give you a richer tone through a tube amp using a bass with single coil pickups. Then you can try to beef it up more with active preamp circuits, and digital effects- and so on and so on. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

[quote name='crag42' post='922814' date='Aug 12 2010, 06:46 AM']I'm wondering if you guy's can help me.....

I'm a bass player who has never really used effects pedals.... Ive now got a band going and we are finding ourselves doing a lot of Hendrix and the like with some Kings of leon,Stereophonics, U2 etc thrown in too.....

I'm now wanting to extend my sound with some effects, but i dont know what i should be going for?.... can you guys inform me?..... I dont want anything gimmicky or weird..... just something to really fatten and enhance my tone..

Any help or expertise would be gratefully recieved

Cheers

Craig[/quote]