Why become a member? ×

jamming help

scottaylor

is it best to lurn the popular metla songs,
what happen last nite was a my mates gig with lots of bands, with an open jam there was a listed of name how wonted to it was my turn by my self i lurn songs to play to get more comfence, well this aregunt prate tryed to jump the quew even he put his name on the kids go first, helped a boy go up and rock on the drums,
i sat down and he tryed to mucle in i explained that the was a list on names and that im on now to not get in the way as im not good enuff to play in a jam 2 times he got the huff trying to make out im in the rong, well his mates were heckerling me and i could not play,
so would the best thing to do lurn what most of them wont to play or tye and lurn more patters that are played in metla ?

it was the first time that this man came with his mates the gam thing is a club were they book local bands and have a cool jam bit, long story but im living off 30 pounds a week at the mow so carnt afford lessions, what normal happens is my mates woch me and when im done they try doing this, well i dont now how to take the step from lurning a song to jaming seems like you need to now a lot to do it. (this man i was told plays all over pems and wonted to show off to his mates, what makes me the most p off is that i used to teach marshel arts for a very long time and i never for got what is was like when i first started and he has, have email my freinds in Raven Heart nice men if at next 1 could they jam sand man with me as i trust them that if im off they will help me out

I know the feeling man! I was filling for a friend who was ill but still wanted his band to gig, but some guy tells me i'm rubbish and i can't sing in tune (the second bit is right haha)

just practise and like others have said just try and stay away from them,

and when your 100 times better and happier than them you can just take it with a pinch of salt :)

bit like if you are a football player
and want to be good, you practice on the practice pitch for
the big game on Saturday

well sit in your bedroom and practice
do lots of fun stuff
read books,
play along with your CDs
read on here and find who other bassplayers listen too and lean new bass stuff
and practice more

and then if you go back to the jam you know you will have the ability.
or even better, find people you like and play with them.
good people will help you learn, not take the p

[quote name='scottaylor' post='911982' date='Aug 1 2010, 04:16 PM']is it best to lurn the popular metla songs,
what happen last nite was a my mates gig with lots of bands, with an open jam there was a listed of name how wonted to it was my turn by my self i lurn songs to play to get more comfence, well this aregunt prate tryed to jump the quew even he put his name on the kids go first, helped a boy go up and rock on the drums,
i sat down and he tryed to mucle in i explained that the was a list on names and that im on now to not get in the way as im not good enuff to play in a jam 2 times he got the huff trying to make out im in the rong, well his mates were heckerling me and i could not play,
so would the best thing to do lurn what most of them wont to play or tye and lurn more patters that are played in metla ?[/quote]

Arrogant b*****ds can be found in all walks of life. Don't let them spoil the fun for you.
Just practice practice practice. Your favourite songs. What comes on the radio or TV. Anything. Practice what you find it hard to do. Practice different styles. Join a band. Join two bands. Jam with different people. If it's a bit uncomfortable because you're a bit above your level... that's great, when you feel the pressure you learn more.

Good luck with the bass...

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='scottaylor' post='912133' date='Aug 1 2010, 07:00 PM']it was the first time that this man came with his mates the gam thing is a club were they book local bands and have a cool jam bit, long story but im living off 30 pounds a week at the mow so carnt afford lessions, what normal happens is my mates woch me and when im done they try doing this, well i dont now how to take the step from lurning a song to jaming seems like you need to now a lot to do it. (this man i was told plays all over pems and wonted to show off to his mates, what makes me the most p off is that i used to teach marshel arts for a very long time and i never for got what is was like when i first started and he has, have email my freinds in Raven Heart nice men if at next 1 could they jam sand man with me as i trust them that if im off they will help me out[/quote]

I find that most people tend to be ok, and there's a lot of understanding among musicians. BUT there are some stupid ones like the guy you found... sooner or later you come across one or three. Don't let it get to you. Do your thing.

Having lessons is great, but not absolutely necessary. You learn better and faster with a good teacher, but there's no substitute for hard work.

I used to learn riffs of songs (on guitar) bits here and bits there.. and by doing that a lot, you sort of develop a feel for various styles etc and you learn to play what you hear in your head without having to think much about it. I'm not fantastic, but I can improvise alright on guitar and I pick up songs easily on bass... it just happened over time.
There may be ways to accelerate the process, but I don't know them. Just play a lot.
One thing that I feel helps a lot, or helped me, at any rate, was to play with different people. Variety. Different people with different styles of playing, and of music... Do I suck at reggae? Then I'm going to go to Youtube and find some cool reggae bass and I'll see what they play, I'll play along a few songs, try to come up with my own things... Don't just do what you find easy. Do what you find hard to do.

You just need perseverance.

the problem i have is with other things aspurjss, so finde it hard to relax at any time and let people see me for how i am,(it is realy hard to get up and play) all so i have no idea of the rules for jamming.
in my village i only now of to people that play 1 is a kid so carnt. this day and age its just a no even with mum and dad in the room, the other is normal gutiar and hes at uniy,
have hurd of a disibilty groop of some sort mum nows a woman in her 50s playing drums with them will finde out about it when ive got my money back the gove have stolen from me,
hope it wont take to long as what they put in the apeal part for them even got my name rong, (last name lol) and can prove i carnt work very far geting my wheel chair and thurday yayayay :) .

working on enter sand man just got a few small bits to sort out and then work on the timming as i now every 1 that is jamming with me i hope i can keep controle of panic and other things wile im up there,
and a mate i game with hows in a band sed he will woch a vid of me i sed in about a mouth to see what he thinks.

If I understood the original post correct, then some of these guys seem worth avoiding anyhow

Most musicians at any level are very tolerant and encourage those with less ability, knowing that they themselves are a world away from where they wish to be, with a few exceptions, id say if anyone is putting you down, they most likely have little ability themselves, all be it they may be slightly ahead of you because they have practiced for a bit longer, this applies to sport and other pastimes as well

If your fairly young, in a few years depending on talent and practice time, your pegging order could be turned upside down very quickly

One thing for sure though, is unless you are very thick skinned, constant put downs and proud heckling towards you will not help you in any way at all

Seek out some people who can inspire you, and if you love your instrument, you will grow naturally and find like minded friends in the same place

normal what happens is i pratice some think like paraniod play it ok and my mates woch me and say what i could work on.
they say im tanlented but its not realy im not working and playing helps me for get that i carnt work far any more, so it just praticing it.
when i lurn a song i will play that song entill my fingers hurt so much they carnt mover properly.