Why become a member? ×

East U-RETRO 01 Deluxe

xilddx

I am tempted to go with the U-RETRO 01 Deluxe for my custom build, it looks really versatile. Anyone used one of these? What are they like?

I'll be using it with passive MEC pups. MM-style HB and J-style SC.

I will need some advice with the install. I am clueless with electronics.

Thank you!

[quote name='silddx' post='908341' date='Jul 28 2010, 03:59 PM']I am tempted to go with the U-RETRO 01 Deluxe for my custom build, it looks really versatile. Anyone used one of these? What are they like?

Thank you![/quote]

I've used U Retros in both my basses, they do all that I need a preamp to do :)

Mine are wired to J and P pickups in one bass and a Bongo humbucker in the other and make both basses sound great.

I doubt you'll need much in the way of instruction if you look at the details on the website, and it won't need soldering unless you need to wire it to a different style jack socket.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='908352' date='Jul 28 2010, 04:07 PM']I've used U Retros in both my basses, they do all that I need a preamp to do :)

Mine are wired to J and P pickups in one bass and a Bongo humbucker in the other and make both basses sound great.

I doubt you'll need much in the way of instruction if you look at the details on the website, and it won't need soldering unless you need to wire it to a different style jack socket.[/quote]
Thanks Paul!

I have looked at the instructions but I really am crap with electronic stuff!

I've got a stereo barrel jack.

It's the ground and shielding I'm a bit unclear on. I'll be using copper foil for the cavities and the underside of the pickguard. The pickups are body mounted but the controls are PG mounted. The barrel jack is also body mounted of course.

Thanks again.

[quote name='silddx' post='908371' date='Jul 28 2010, 04:21 PM']Thanks Paul!

I have looked at the instructions but I really am crap with electronic stuff!

I've got a stereo barrel jack.

It's the ground and shielding I'm a bit unclear on. I'll be using copper foil for the cavities and the underside of the pickguard. The pickups are body mounted but the controls are PG mounted. The barrel jack is also body mounted of course.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Hiya mate
Have a chat with John East about your needs, I doubt you'll find any manufacturer either more helpful or patient. If my experience is anything to go by, if you need some variations on standard he'll do his best to accommodate them (we're currently discussing putting a P-Retro in an EUB).
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='908400' date='Jul 28 2010, 04:43 PM']Hiya mate
Have a chat with John East about your needs, I doubt you'll find any manufacturer either more helpful or patient. If my experience is anything to go by, if you need some variations on standard he'll do his best to accommodate them (we're currently discussing putting a P-Retro in an EUB).
Cheers
Chris[/quote]
Thanks very much Chris, I'll do that.

N

Wiring a U-Retro is a doddle - no soldering to the unit - there is some soldering to the jack socket though.

The other thing that's nice is that each pickup-input has a level control, so if you have pups of a different output, you can get your preferred balance on the sound.

Each pup has a hot & ground screw terminal. Attach. The hot (red) from the battery has a terminal too. The black from the battery goes to the ring terminal on the jack and the output goes to tip. There's a ground goes to the socket too.

Screening with adhesive copper tape (link the strips with a drop of solder) never goes wrong.

The U-Retro has pots with extra long threads to fit through wooden tops, whereas the J-Retro has short threads for the Jazz control plate.

I have one on my B Bass V and I love it. I recently sold my spare to a member in Italy.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='silddx' post='908341' date='Jul 28 2010, 03:59 PM']I am tempted to go with the U-RETRO 01 Deluxe for my custom build, it looks really versatile. Anyone used one of these? What are they like?

Thank you![/quote]

Fantastic pre amps, IMO. I use 2, one with KA pups and one with Barts and they really do a great job even though the basse4s are inherrently differnet sounding.

They are both custom J5's, one RW and one maple and both sound more than decent passive. I like the way they have the passive switch should you get caught with a battery run-down.

On that model, you will have vol/pickup pan but the pan works for passive... there is a switch for to select either pup in active mode.
The next stack will be bass boost..at something like 18bd, which is AL LOT..and no cut. The treble on that stack is cut and boost and there is also a pull-out know that kicks in presense..which is, again very powerful.

The next knows is a mid sweep and boost so pick your freq and boost it..after that is the passive presense.

You will then have a switch for active or passive mode.

This sounds lot of control but you get used to it and I doubt you'll have reason to use the scope the pre has..it is very powerful but I use it to enhance
the basic sounds I have and you'll have no problem getting through a mix.

As long as the bass sound decent in the first place, this pre will add so much.
I think the key to this pre is the well thought out mid control and after you get to grips with it, you'll have no need to touch the amp..All I do is set the volume and we are off.

One thing to note. I believe the pre runs off 9 or 18v. My 9v version goes through batteries very quickly, ie a round 2 weeks, whereas the 18v has been going for as long as I have had the bass, which is since Novemeber and still going strong. I believe that this si a known John East feature
so have a chat with him and expect to install 2 batts for the 18v version.

As with all batts...don't leave the bass plugged in as that is a drain for nothing.

[quote name='JTUK' post='908558' date='Jul 28 2010, 07:18 PM']My 9v version goes through batteries very quickly, ie a round 2 weeks[/quote]

I'm puzzled by this, as mine (both 9v) certainly don't eat batteries. I've only ever changed them because I thought it was about time, never because they were dead.

[quote name='JTUK' post='908558' date='Jul 28 2010, 07:18 PM']One thing to note. I believe the pre runs off 9 or 18v. My 9v version goes through batteries very quickly, ie a round 2 weeks, whereas the 18v has been going for as long as I have had the bass, which is since Novemeber and still going strong. I believe that this si a known John East feature
so have a chat with him and expect to install 2 batts for the 18v version.

As with all batts...don't leave the bass plugged in as that is a drain for nothing.[/quote]

Sounds like your 9V is wired incorrectly.

I bet your black line is wired to the main shaft instead of the ring.

G.

[quote name='silddx' post='909122' date='Jul 29 2010, 12:25 PM']I had a lovely chat with John East just now and he's recommended a new version of the U-Retro which is what I'm going for.

He's such a top man![/quote]
+1

Great guy who sells great kit.