Why become a member? ×

GB Spitfire - NOW SOLD

Waldo

Am looking to sell all my gear and start from scratch so first up is my GB Spitfire:

[url="http://h.imagehost.org/view/0651/DSCN0156"][/url]

[url="http://h.imagehost.org/view/0257/DSCN0161"][/url]

[url="http://h.imagehost.org/view/0060/DSCN0162"][/url]

[url="http://j.imagehost.org/view/0812/ding1"][/url] [url="http://a.imagehost.org/view/0511/ding2"][/url]

Plays wonderfully, one of the best I've ever had including my Modulii (which I didn't think could be bettered!), has a powerful jazz sort of sound.

Condition wise, I'd describe it as 'well played', it's not mint but not falling apart either!. There are a few dings here and there and the odd scratch which you can see in the correct light. Recently changed the batteries in it (it comes with a handy LED battery life indicator) but the strings definitely need a change. Just want to be as honest about this as I can.

Comes with GB hardcase and I'm looking for £800. No trades on this sorry.

Collection from Liverpool or Stafford would be preferred but I can ship this at your cost for £20-ish, would need to check this. Any questions, I'll be happy to answer!

Chris

Edited by Waldo

Yeah as far as I know it's the older type of pre-amp, not the Rumour ones that they come with now

Vol, Blend, Treble, Bass/Mid stack and a bright/hi-fi switch. Also has the pulsating LED battery indicator.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='904856' date='Jul 25 2010, 04:41 PM']Where is Russ the GB/EBS_Freak? :)[/quote]

I don't need its life story!!!! (sorry Russ) hehe.

I didn't notice it had a stacked pot! It's just a different layout as opposed to a different system.

Cheers.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='904897' date='Jul 25 2010, 05:07 PM']I don't need its life story!!!! (sorry Russ) hehe.

I didn't notice it had a stacked pot! It's just a different layout as opposed to a different system.

Cheers.[/quote]

Ha ha. I'll keep quiet. Good to know I'm wanted...!

You are right though... the Spitfire used to have it's own preamp that kept evolving to the point where it just made sense to can the development of the Spitfire circuit and just roll with the one circuit design - the Rumour one. The control layout was to keep in with the all in line jazz bass vibe. Sounds great - this was the circuit in Mark King's Spitfires.

Also, you can tell (as a general guide) that it is the earlier Spitfire (or Standard as it was known for a while) by the different design at the end of the fingerboard.

Edited by EBS_freak

Wow that's pretty, I've had a bit of a yearning for a Spitfire after Bernie's appearance at the London Bass Bash recently.

The scratches don't show in the pics so they can't be that bad :)

Do you know how much it weighs?

Also, and I've only just noticed this with Spitfires, the rear strap button seems to be very low on the body compared to conventional position.

I'm assuming this is designed to help the balance & the way it hangs on a strap?

[quote name='molan' post='905386' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:14 AM']I'm assuming this is designed to help the balance & the way it hangs on a strap?[/quote]

Bang on. By placing the strap button lower, you get a perfect balance and the bass is held perpendicular to the players body. A much more, imo, comfortable position.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='905394' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:19 AM']Bang on. By placing the strap button lower, you get a perfect balance and the bass is held perpendicular to the players body. A much more, imo, comfortable position.[/quote]

I know this might be a dumb question but if it works really well then why do most manufacturers put the strap button in line with the centre of the bridge?

I had a quick look on Bernie's site and noticed that not every Spitfire has this design (but maybe some of the pics are older and all the new ones have it as standard).

[quote name='molan' post='905398' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:25 AM']I know this might be a dumb question but if it works really well then why do most manufacturers put the strap button in line with the centre of the bridge?

I had a quick look on Bernie's site and noticed that not every Spitfire has this design (but maybe some of the pics are older and all the new ones have it as standard).[/quote]

Tradition I guess.

The position of the strap position is in the centre if the customer wants it in the centre. There may be some deviations if the woods used are particularly light/heavy.

[quote name='AllTheBassP' post='913837' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:33 PM']hi there how old is the bass. thanks[ paul ][/quote]

Ah, sorry for missing this. I'm not actually sure...I'm sure that one of the resident GB experts could give some idea.

[quote name='AllTheBassP' post='913837' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:33 PM']hi there how old is the bass. thanks[ paul ][/quote]

I had Bernie give this bass the once over when I owned it back along - he seemed to think it was made in 'about' 1998/99 (if that's any help!)

Cheers
Dave