Why become a member? ×

Is this a 'typical' Rick sound/tone?

blind pilot

Afternoon all.

is this a typical rick sound/tone?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oRQQnrdavQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oRQQnrdavQ[/url]

i know nothing about these bass, and although i am saving for a Wal, just recently these have really caught my eye/ear!

i think the guy 'may' be running through a sansamp, but still, i am loving the tone of this beast, its a Chris Squire edition, but does that mean it have special pups/on board amp etc?

your thoughts - thanks

My 2 CSs have actually been possibly my least favourite sounding of my Rics, but yes, that's a reasonable example of a "typical" Ric sound (whatever that is). Check out Chris Squire (Yes), Bruce Foxton (the Jam) and Geddy Lee (Rush) for more of if not the same, then not dissimilar.

[quote name='JTUK' post='905126' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:31 PM']I'd say Chris Squires work with Yes kind of sums up the sound of a Rickenbacker...

but he is supposed to have done a lot of that with a Jazz...go figure..!![/quote]

To add to that; I'm sure I read somewhere that Foxton recorded a lot of the Jam stuff with a P bass and didn't a lot of GL's tone sound Ric(ish) when recorded with a Jazz! Get 'clank' and you've got the Ric sound. :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='905126' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:31 PM']I'd say Chris Squires work with Yes kind of sums up the sound of a Rickenbacker...

but he is supposed to have done a lot of that with a Jazz...go figure..!![/quote]

Nah, only a bit of it. Parallels is the Jazz and there are a couple of other things from the early days (the low part in The Fish is apparently Jazz), but the bulk his most famous stuff is most definitely all Ric.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='905478' date='Jul 26 2010, 09:01 AM']To add to that; I'm sure I read somewhere that Foxton recorded a lot of the Jam stuff with a P bass and didn't a lot of GL's tone sound Ric(ish) when recorded with a Jazz! Get 'clank' and you've got the Ric sound. :rolleyes:[/quote]

That's because Foxton switched to Ps pretty much full-time part way through the Jam. :) You can easily tell when he's using one or the other.

As for Lee, it depends how much of a geek you are. Live I think the 2 basses sound very different; in the studio not quite so much for obvious reasons (electrickery!), although personally his Ric sound on (for instance) A Farewell to Kings is very different (and very recognisable as a Ric) compared to his sound on Moving Pictures, which is where he started to favour the Jazz.