Why become a member? ×

Basses or amps?

Lfalex v1.1

I hate amplifiers on the whole. First of all I think they broke one of my disks and secondly like SJA says all to often I have taken a big rig somewhere and ended up being barely able to hear it and using the floor wedge more instead. I much prefer taking my BOD instead as I can get the sound I love anywhere and at whatever volume I like, plus can use in-ear if I wish so even if the sound man buggers things up I can at least hear exactly what I want, plus use the floor wedge to feel the bass.

However, I am the very proud owner of a lovely condition (thanks Chris!) Trace V4 combo which I love - I wouldn't use it in a live situation in all probability but it is really nice to have as an example of the top of its breed. I enjoy playing through it at home, but 90% of the time I am using my BOD and in ear monitors. I wish I discovered it years ago!!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='100732' date='Dec 7 2007, 10:19 AM']We do indeed occupy the same boat!

I use headphones from a small desk, with a choice of preamps (!)
The (proper) headphone approach has it all;

Flat frequency response (well, flatter than a cab, anyhow)
No crossovers
Amazing speed and linearity
STEREO
SPLs to die for (if that's what you want)

The only thing they can't do is throw you across the room with a visceral bottom end...

Otherwise, they're tonally perfect, and a revealing window onto how well you play and how good your bass really sounds.

Every time I go back to combos or cabs, I just think about how poor they sound by comparison!

The stack is just a necessary gigging/rehearsing evil![/quote]

Excellent point mate and I agree completely - however teamed up with a good PA you get the benefit of the vibrations too - and you could always try one of those active 'rumble mats'!

Both. I love basses, although my bass GAS is pretty much sated for the moment (apart from that singlecut Shuker...), but I also love the whole process of finding the right amp, something that's really going to let the bass shine through. I loved my old Eden, loved my EA, and now I've gone back to separates. Still loving my Nemesis cabs. But I might change again in a couple of years, who knows? It's fun :)

I tend to go in cycles from basses to effects to amps. I'm happy with my basses at the moment and I'm not using fx in my current band so my GAS is focussed on finding a lightweight amp to go with my new pair of Omni 10.5s. I'm looking at you, Markbass.....

[quote name='ped' post='100738' date='Dec 7 2007, 10:27 AM']I hate amplifiers on the whole. First of all I think they broke one of my disks and secondly like SJA says all to often I have taken a big rig somewhere and ended up being barely able to hear it and using the floor wedge more instead. I much prefer taking my BOD instead as I can get the sound I love anywhere and at whatever volume I like, plus can use in-ear if I wish so even if the sound man buggers things up I can at least hear exactly what I want, plus use the floor wedge to feel the bass.

However, I am the very proud owner of a lovely condition (thanks Chris!) Trace V4 combo which I love - I wouldn't use it in a live situation in all probability but it is really nice to have as an example of the top of its breed. I enjoy playing through it at home, but 90% of the time I am using my BOD and in ear monitors. I wish I discovered it years ago!![/quote]

What's a BOD?
If I could turn up with a bag of stuff on my shoulder and a bass in one hand rather than a big rig, that would be great! And no more "can i borrow your amp mate?"

A Bass Pod XT Pro, the rackmount one - I use it with Shure E2c earphones though, not huge cans ;0)

I turn up to the studio and/or gigs with a soft rack case with my pod in it and sometimes a sennheiser wireless transmitter. Most of the time I am in the studio and use the headphone out and DI or USB the signal to the computer or desk.

The E2cs are not completely noise camcelling so I really like them live - I can still hear the band but it is a bit quieter than normal and my bass sound is balenced perfectly because I can adjust the signal to match or stand out slightly more. From that point onwards the monitors are just there for vibration. I also don't get headaches from volume spikes. I am in my own little world up there!!

I didn't think I'd get amp GAS until I tried a 1960's Ampeg B-15 - but 10 seconds after plugging in I was done for...
Then it took me many months to find one, ship it here from flipping Seattle & then get it restored back to stock & converted to UK voltage - but it was worth the effort.
Tone heaven!

[attachment=4009:1965_amp...na_front.jpg]

[quote name='TheRev' post='100805' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:57 AM']I tend to go in cycles from basses to effects to amps. I'm happy with my basses at the moment and I'm not using fx in my current band so my GAS is focussed on finding a lightweight amp to go with my new pair of Omni 10.5s. I'm looking at you, Markbass.....[/quote]

How about a Tech Soundsystems Blackcat? Weighs about 8kg, valve preamp into a poweramp that delivers 500 watts into each side (1000w bridged into 8 ohms), 2U rackmounted in a case!