Why become a member? ×

my church fender precision (decided to be kept at church now)

nathan bossoh

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='899510' date='Jul 19 2010, 10:25 PM']too late[/quote]

sorry about this whole thing, but i did say "possibly" in my starting message, it was never definate, but i guess that shouldnt have been put that there, i should have made sure that this confusion would not happen, so thats my mistake.
sorry.

I was going to say I used my Fender P bass at church yesterday and it sounded fine, then checked your myspace (nice drumming too) and you play a different style of music so maybe isnt the best fit, also depends on amp and playing style.

A 'Fender Precision' could be worth anything from £50 to £50,000 depending on what it is, it maybe was a bit daft just to pluck a price out the air for a bass that doesn't belong to you. If it doesn't get used maybe it would be in your churches interest to sell it, if you stuck photos and info on the 'bass guitars' forum then folk on here should be able to give you a rough valuation, then the guys at your church can decide if its worth selling.

But don't fret, if you dont sell the ibanez in time and miss this ken smith then another one will turn up. We've all been in the situation where the seeming dream bass comes up and you really want it, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Wait and save.

Also if you want a wee bass challenge.... go listen to everything you can find by james jamerson.... incorporate his style in your playing at church.....

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='899559' date='Jul 19 2010, 10:57 PM']I was going to say I used my Fender P bass at church yesterday and it sounded fine, then checked your myspace (nice drumming too) and you play a different style of music so maybe isnt the best fit, also depends on amp and playing style.

A 'Fender Precision' could be worth anything from £50 to £50,000 depending on what it is, it maybe was a bit daft just to pluck a price out the air for a bass that doesn't belong to you. If it doesn't get used maybe it would be in your churches interest to sell it, if you stuck photos and info on the 'bass guitars' forum then folk on here should be able to give you a rough valuation, then the guys at your church can decide if its worth selling.

But don't fret, if you dont sell the ibanez in time and miss this ken smith then another one will turn up. We've all been in the situation where the seeming dream bass comes up and you really want it, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Wait and save.

Also if you want a wee bass challenge.... go listen to everything you can find by james jamerson.... incorporate his style in your playing at church.....[/quote]

Ken Smith is a great bass for church! I play warwick, but would go for a Ken Smith if I could afford one.
Depends on whether you play Kirk Franklin or Hillsong more.

jon

[quote name='captainjon' post='899593' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:32 PM']Ken Smith is a great bass for church! I play warwick, but would go for a Ken Smith if I could afford one.

jon[/quote]

yeah my warwick has a better sound for church than the P bass. The P bass can have the tendency to be to fat sounding and be too dominant. Good for more rock numbers.
I tend to have to play more the hillsong end. The challenge is funking them up a little, hillsongs tend to be the most dreary songs musically, chug chug chug

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='899559' date='Jul 19 2010, 10:57 PM']I was going to say I used my Fender P bass at church yesterday and it sounded fine, then checked your myspace (nice drumming too) and you play a different style of music so maybe isnt the best fit, also depends on amp and playing style.

Also if you want a wee bass challenge.... go listen to everything you can find by james jamerson.... incorporate his style in your playing at church.....[/quote]

yhh thanks man.

yh im really not sure about the price but i was just looking around on the internet and saw a general price range of £4-£500 on the type of bass it was and looked like, so thats where i got the price from.

yh i will have to do that, even though i cant sell it now, ill still do all the research i can on it (but i cant get a pic up since im not selling it so i cant bring it home just to take pics then take it back). but just incase soon that they do decide to sell it because im not really a fan of fender myself and i know that the other bass player isnt either, its just what we happen to have in our church.

only thing is im not sure when another burner will come up, im hoping soon if i cant sell my ibanez and buy this burner for friday. but well see anyway, thanks.

yhh i listen to him a bit myself, not that much but my church is more of an african church, so even though i play jazz and gospel more my churches style is not like that atall. but i still love james stuff although i dont listen to it much. thanks again

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='899469' date='Jul 19 2010, 09:53 PM']Is this scheme of yours not a tad dishonest for a churchgoer? :)[/quote]

I play in a church music group and I buy my own stuff :rolleyes:

I agree Rich.

[quote name='captainjon' post='899593' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:32 PM']Ken Smith is a great bass for church! I play warwick, but would go for a Ken Smith if I could afford one.

jon[/quote]

Well i play a bit of a hill song style with one band that im in called ICI, even though were a gospel band by name, we do more hillsong style stuff (so far), but me myself am a jazz / gospel bassist. yh the ken smith tone suits gospel soo well its always hits me when i hear it. that another reason why i want to get the ken smith.

[quote name='tom1946' post='899680' date='Jul 20 2010, 07:38 AM']I play in a church music group and I buy my own stuff :)

I agree Rich.[/quote]

well not to be rude, but i dont go to your church and you dont go to mine. so you cant suggest that i should be able to buy my own things just becasue you do since your not in my situation or life.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='899628' date='Jul 20 2010, 12:27 AM']yeah my warwick has a better sound for church than the P bass. The P bass can have the tendency to be to fat sounding and be too dominant. Good for more rock numbers.
I tend to have to play more the hillsong end. The challenge is funking them up a little, hillsongs tend to be the most dreary songs musically, chug chug chug[/quote]

yhh i agree with you alot, thats very true.

lol well good luck, im sure there is a way to do it without taking too much away from what hillson style is about.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='899495' date='Jul 19 2010, 10:15 PM']I like the idea of "the church" going "Look man that P bass isn't the sound we're looking for." :)[/quote]

Ho ho! I like that.

I have to admit that at my Church everyone owns their own instruments.

I think its awesome that the church has there own instruments,

Whenever ive been at my dads local church (He is a christian, i follow sikhism) Ive never seen any younger kids playing because they cant get into it because nobody offers their instruments.

Not that they have to, but you know, if it was me, id let them use my bass. And the P bass could have been a donation of some sort, i know of friends of my dads who have left stuff to the local church in their wills.

My Church has instruments... but not ones you'd want to admit to owning lol!!

Really encouraging to see so many church players on here, playing in worship bands has been my number one learning environment, am always gonna be grateful for the oppotunities i have had playing at christian festivals/churches/events etc...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='899482' date='Jul 19 2010, 10:05 PM']It sounded divine.[/quote]

Aye, Sidney Devine!!

All together now, Tiny bubbles, in the wine,........

[attachment=54699:54124556...7cad5ab2.jpg]

Jez

[quote name='nathan bossoh' post='899683' date='Jul 20 2010, 07:42 AM']well not to be rude, but i dont go to your church and you dont go to mine. so you cant suggest that i should be able to buy my own things just becasue you do since your not in my situation or life.[/quote]

Well that told me! :)

I play in a church worship group aswell, my main aim is to try and funk it up as best I can though!! On a more serious point I think it's one of the best places you can play at, but I am aware that this thread started advertising a P bass and is not 'who plays at what church' thread. Anyone want to start one?