Why become a member? ×

This Big Al 5 SSS - f*** me it's good!

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='899663' date='Jul 20 2010, 05:31 AM']Look peeps, at the end of the day, I know the bass shape might not be to everyone's taste, as I've repeatedly said, I myself find it a little odd, however there are a couple of things that crash the "culture shock" impression, [b]one[/b] is the impressive ergonomics: i.e. it wears well and plays comfortably, and two no matter what anyone can say about the looks it more than makes up for it with the array of sounds you can get out of just one bass.

And finally: all comments are appreciated both positive and negative ones, however there is that element of respect that some of you tends forget when describing someoene else's instruments.

Let me explain: personally I am not fond of Warwicks, Status, headless of any kind, composite bass necks in general, yet I wouldn't offend an owner of any of these basses by saying your bass is FUGLY, is like someone saying, Jesus mate your wife looks well rough! You just don't do that. That is the part I don't like about this forum: people always go that extra length to be out and out rude. Have some common sense and respect and if you see something you don't particularly like, just say "not my cuppa" or not for me, and keep your nasty comments to yourselves.[/quote]

Well said that man! :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='899663' date='Jul 20 2010, 05:31 AM']Look peeps, at the end of the day, I know the bass shape might not be to everyone's taste, as I've repeatedly said, I myself find it a little odd, however there are a couple of things that crash the "culture shock" impression, [b]one[/b] is the impressive ergonomics: i.e. it wears well and plays comfortably, and two no matter what anyone can say about the looks it more than makes up for it with the array of sounds you can get out of just one bass.

And finally: all comments are appreciated both positive and negative ones, however there is that element of respect that some of you tends forget when describing someoene else's instruments.

Let me explain: personally I am not fond of Warwicks, Status, headless of any kind, composite bass necks in general, yet I wouldn't offend an owner of any of these basses by saying your bass is FUGLY, is like someone saying, Jesus mate your wife looks well rough! You just don't do that. That is the part I don't like about this forum: people always go that extra length to be out and out rude. Have some common sense and respect and if you see something you don't particularly like, just say "not my cuppa" or not for me, and keep your nasty comments to yourselves.[/quote]

I think its beautiful,not as beautiful as my one that i havent got yet and am only dreaming about owning but still,beautiful!

• 1 month later...

Aside from the actual look of the thing.. I do like some of the sounds on it...but I'd concentrate on what was unique about those sounds. As it stands there are way too many sounds that would tie you in knots for eons about where you should be in the heat of the moment type situations.
I think it is trying to be all things to all men..when it should really set out its stall as the original MM did and create its own ID..
I wouldn't buy it as the style doesn't do it for me, but I could make use of some of the better distinct sounds on a better looking, IMV, bass.

Apparently the Bongo was a great bass as well. With the Big Al being this good why does MM always seem to be fighting with one arm tied behind their back?

Great basses that look like they were designed by the tea lady don't make for world dominating sales, no matter how good they sound!

I can understand people might think the Bongo and Big Al are 'radical', but then again, I dont think boutique basses with expensive exotic wood tops are very nice to look at. I can see why they would be great at what they do, but the whole aesethics just scream 'boring' to me.

Apaprently, and Ive no idea how true this is, but the Bongo has been a massive success. I tried one unplugged, and yes the shape is odd, but the quality at the price bracket was phenomenal.

I love the Big Al shape, I think it's really lovely. It got a superb review in the latest Guitarist mag too. I would have a White body and maple board and white pearl PG. I love the Precision shape too. The ugly looking Fender bass is the Jazz, the offset design is too ugly and bulbous. The P is great but the neck's too fat, the J neck is a great design. The Big Al neck is too fat like P Bass. The Stingray body is too round. Your shoes are the wrong colour and your stone cladding is sh*t.

[quote name='silddx' post='943328' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:18 PM']I love the Big Al shape, I think it's really lovely. It got a superb review in the latest Guitarist mag too. I would have a White body and maple board and white pearl PG. I love the Precision shape too. The ugly looking Fender bass is the Jazz, the offset design is too ugly and bulbous. The P is great but the neck's too fat, the J neck is a great design. The Big Al neck is too fat like P Bass. The Stingray body is too round. Your shoes are the wrong colour and your stone cladding is sh*t.[/quote]

Hahah!

Ill have to find that Guitarist Mag review.

Im thinking of reordering one in White or V Sunburst. White looks stunning I agree.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='900091' date='Jul 20 2010, 02:35 PM']Sounds pretty good, but has anyone else noticed how Ed Friedland manages to make every bass sound good? He [i]is[/i] the bass whisperer.[/quote]

Is that because he appears to be making love to it? That must be his "i've arrived" face that he's using whilst playing!

I think it just as cool as cool can be,it screams rock n roll to me. I would love to get one but I just fear it's a young guns bass (no offence Fran, your a cool looking dude anyway so you can pull it off)
Lady gaga's bass player was using one for a while. not mad about her but it look very cool on stage with her.
White with tort and a maple bored single H ! If I was 10 years younger.
Funny I never liked the shape of the jazz body so bought a jazz special which has a p bass body and a jazz neck best of both worlds.

Edited by swanbrook