Why become a member? ×

Nordy VP4

giblett123

I can certainly vouch for this bass - a staggeringly good instrument that just exudes boutique loveliness! It really needs to find an owner who is comfortable with a chunky neck profile. I'm sorry this bass didn't work out for the current owner - to any prospective owners, have no fear - this is a superb and very desirable custom hand-built at a ludicrously low price (and Chris is brilliant to deal with!)

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='897953' date='Jul 18 2010, 12:08 PM']How is the neck in comparison with something like a stingray/g&l?[/quote]
Hi there,

to me it feels a tad chunkier than a Ray but there can't be a huge amount in it,it's not uncomfortable with the rolled edges etc, just really chunky! I suppose its the trade off to get the "that sound" which it does very very well, my other basses are Shukers & Jon carves them really slim for me, a matter of taste I suppose.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='899055' date='Jul 19 2010, 03:41 PM']this bass is following me around...

i would love it...just £925 short for today.[/quote]
Yep, it was a custom build, the serial number is 2 so I'm assuming that there will another somewhere, as far as I'm aware these aren't going to be production models so will probably be quite rare, I don't know what Kevin paid for it originally but I suspect with import duty etc he will have had to shell out a fair bit.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='899153' date='Jul 19 2010, 05:23 PM']I reckon I can dig that neck....Id love this bass if im honest but I told myself no more P type basses. Arghghg[/quote]
Ooooh go on, treat yourself, you know it makes sense!

[quote name='antti' post='900264' date='Jul 20 2010, 05:13 PM']That bass is one of the finest I've ever seen. Just WOW! I really love the design of this beauty.[/quote]
Yep, this one is a bit of a looker, the colour is a matter of taste but personally I love it, the finish on the Nordy's is also stunning, I can't find anything that is not 100% on it anywhere, and I have looked real close, also sounds damn fine too!

Well, it really looks like a player to me. I wish I could but an angry wife and two hungry kids is not an option at the moment. But really one bass I wish I could take. And I am not a collector, I am a player too :)

[quote name='antti' post='900405' date='Jul 20 2010, 07:42 PM']Well, it really looks like a player to me. I wish I could but an angry wife and two hungry kids is not an option at the moment. But really one bass I wish I could take. And I am not a collector, I am a player too :)[/quote]
If you strike it lucky drop me a line, theres always a deal to be done! :rolleyes:

A bump for a gorgeous, hand-built bass and just a few details/responses to issues raised.

As far as I know this is the second 'mid 50's style P that Carey's team (all three of them!) has built. The first went to a big name US player if I remember correctly (the information is on Carey's site).

I don't know what Kevin paid for the bass originally but with shipping, duty and VAT, I think it was more than double the current asking price. I don't need to tell anybody this, however, the bass is an incredible bargain (a great way in to the world of boutique loveliness at a ridiculoulsy low price).

The finish is outstanding - one of the best spray and finish jobs I've seen on a body - perfect and glass-like: very much out of the ordinary.

The neck profile seems to be a sticking point. It is chunky buy not uncomfortable. I have medium-sized hands and found that I could get around tehe neck quickly without any problems. Anybody comfortable with a standard P width (and profile) neck is unlikely to struggle with the Nordy.

I had the bass for around four weeks - if I can answer any questions, please let me know.

[quote name='lozbass' post='901001' date='Jul 21 2010, 03:23 PM']A bump for a gorgeous, hand-built bass and just a few details/responses to issues raised.

As far as I know this is the second 'mid 50's style P that Carey's team (all three of them!) has built. The first went to a big name US player if I remember correctly (the information is on Carey's site).

I don't know what Kevin paid for the bass originally but with shipping, duty and VAT, I think it was more than double the current asking price. I don't need to tell anybody this, however, the bass is an incredible bargain (a great way in to the world of boutique loveliness at a ridiculoulsy low price).

The finish is outstanding - one of the best spray and finish jobs I've seen on a body - perfect and glass-like: very much out of the ordinary.

The neck profile seems to be a sticking point. It is chunky buy not uncomfortable. I have medium-sized hands and found that I could get around tehe neck quickly without any problems. Anybody comfortable with a standard P width (and profile) neck is unlikely to struggle with the Nordy.

I had the bass for around four weeks - if I can answer any questions, please let me know.[/quote]
Cheers for the info Lawrence, according to his original post Kevin paid £1650 + shipping and taxes etc so probably iro double the asking price, expensive but reasonable compared to what the nordy jazzes go for new, the neck is beefy but
not dissimilar to a 62 reissue P bass, quite playable and smooth as silk, just the my others are really slim!

Hi guys,

well, as can be seen from the pics earlier, this bass has the serial number "2". Now, this style - single coil P-Bass is the ONLY one Carey has made so far!

The first P-Bass style one he made was a split coil style P-Bass with an added J pickup - that bass was made for Calvin Turner.

I'd ordered this bass only a few days after Calvin ordered his one.

The neck is chunky, but is you've played the older style P-Basses you'll know that the classic P-Bass tone was founded upon the woody tone you get from such a solid neck. The fretting is simply wonderful, and the rolled edges on the edge of the fingerboard make the bass feel instantly like an "old friend" when you play it.

Whoever grabs this bass (and likes full necks) will love this bass!!

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='901198' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:24 PM']Hi guys,

well, as can be seen from the pics earlier, this bass has the serial number "2". Now, this style - single coil P-Bass is the ONLY one Carey has made so far!

The first P-Bass style one he made was a split coil style P-Bass with an added J pickup - that bass was made for Calvin Turner.

I'd ordered this bass only a few days after Calvin ordered his one.

The neck is chunky, but is you've played the older style P-Basses you'll know that the classic P-Bass tone was founded upon the woody tone you get from such a solid neck. The fretting is simply wonderful, and the rolled edges on the edge of the fingerboard make the bass feel instantly like an "old friend" when you play it.

Whoever grabs this bass (and likes full necks) will love this bass!![/quote]Cheers for the info Kevin, so, there you have, something on the rare side! they're not a production model so its not likely that there will be many of these knocking around. Kevin has a point about the sound, it is huge!

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='901198' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:24 PM']Now, this style - single coil P-Bass is the ONLY one Carey has made so far!

The first P-Bass style one he made was a split coil style P-Bass with an added J pickup - that bass was made for Calvin Turner.[/quote]

Ahh...that's it - Calvin Turner - apologies for the earlier misinformation - the news makes this bass even more rare. Rarity aside, an absolutely amazing instrument