Why become a member? ×

Do valve pre-amps on hybrid amps (eg, Shuttle) blow often/at all?

Clarky

While considering a micro-sized back-up for my Orange AD200B, it occurred to me this morning that I may be barking up the wrong tree. I have been looking for a micro amp with a valve pre-amp/front end to closely replicate a valve-y type sound (eg Shuttle, Headlite etc). Is there a material risk that the valve could blow/knacker on one of these, thereby ruining its capability as a back-up .... and therefore what I should really be looking for (in terms of as-near-as-100% bullet-proof reliability) is a wholly solid state micro-amp (eg, Markbass F1/LM, TC 450/RH)?

Edited by Clarky

In general valve pre-amps go on for years with no trouble. Over the past couple of years I've had several very old all-valve heads pass through my hands with their original pre-amp valves still performing perfectly.

[quote name='obbm' post='895518' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:30 PM']In general valve pre-amps go on for years with no trouble. Over the past couple of years I've had several very old all-valve heads pass through my hands with their original pre-amp valves still performing perfectly.[/quote]
Thanks obbm! I must admit I've not heard of hybrid amps failing but it was a thought that occurred to me this morning, given the valve component

[quote name='obbm' post='895518' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:30 PM']In general valve pre-amps go on for years with no trouble. Over the past couple of years I've had several very old all-valve heads pass through my hands with their original pre-amp valves still performing perfectly.[/quote]

Old valves were made better though.

I doubt it would ever go. My old Trace had one and I never changed it for 10 years plus. I doubt it needs it now to be honest.

I would definitely audition a Shuttle before taking the plunge; light/loud/crisp/hifi is my experience. Good at what they do but IMO not a rockers amp unless you like it pretty bright and snappy. SWR/TC Classic might be better.

Valves in the pre-amp don't need to have their bias reset when changed, and they are a push fit. If you're really worried, just carry a spare (£7-8?) as you would a fuse. Less likely to blow than a fuse which is there to protect it.

In general valves have more tolerance than their oppo transistor, its just that being made of glass they have a bad reputation.

Thanks all, you've sold me. So its a level playing field between micro heads with and without valve pre-amps. Now it just comes down to me deciding which head fits the bill best in terms of price, availability and features.

PS, I do have an Items Wanted thread, looking for just such an amp if you haven't spotted it! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94809&st=0&p=892771&#entry892771"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry892771[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' post='896620' date='Jul 16 2010, 03:30 PM']Sorted now - I have paid a bit extra to get a new TC Classic 450 as it does everything I want and as it was only £90 more than the best offer I had of a s/h micro-amp[/quote]

Personally I think you might be pleasantly surprised how warm this amp sounds. A touch of tubetone and you have perfect tube-ish rock tone.