Why become a member? ×

Band Audition! Tomorrow! HELP!!!!

teen t-shirt

i'm actually getting nervous!
i dont normally get nervous when meeting new people but when it comes to meeting new people who could further my musical career or just have a good time with i'm positively shitting my self...

i need your help guys there an original band and i'm gonna be looking at some of there stuff with them tomorrow there a rock band as well so i know i may be able to blag a bit with the old root notes but i want to show them my technical ability on the bass with out being to flashy...

any help or experience or wise words you can give would be awesome...

p.s this is my first band out side of school or college so makes it all the better :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='895095' date='Jul 14 2010, 09:12 PM']Relax & have fun - may sound odd but it's a damn good start. Try & get on with them as it's more than just the music. Also be guided by what they say. They may want less flash... but go with the flow. Oh & good luck![/quote]

+1

It's more important that you get on OK and do an OK job on the tunes rather than nail their tunes spot on first time, especially as you've not heard them before..

and....
Standard advice for people doing auditions #1 : remember you are auditioning them as well. They have to be good enough/nice enough for you to want to join. They will be a bit nervous too :)

Good luck!

Look, listen, learn, then contribute?

Most everyone likes a bass which sounds and grooves like a [b]BASS[/b] ie: [i]no[/i] slappin' all over the the drummer (unless he deserves it), and no twangin' all over the guitar(s)/keys etc.

Also keep the bass slightly understated during the verses and firm it up during the choruses.

And above all, as others have stated, have fun!

Oh yeah. Spare strings, cords, picks blah blah blah...

thanks for all the great advice this has settled me alot and i love the advice about the bass during the verse and chorus's and ill definately take on the advice about just relaxing and not slapping all over the drummer and twanging over the guitarists definately something i will take on board and remember i will post on here how it goes...

thanks guys knew i could count on you :)

You need to be able to play...but that sort of thing can improve a lot over a period of time.
Lots of bands grow together musically so as long as there is something about the connection, then that is a good start.

If you like and get on with the people, then that is as important as anything..
If you put the time in, you'll get better musically...but if you don't get on then that is that, pretty much

[quote name='JTUK' post='895251' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:10 AM']If you like and get on with the people, then that is as important as anything..
If you put the time in, you'll get better musically...but if you don't get on then that is that, pretty much[/quote]
100% agree.

If you like them as people and they like you as a person, you have a huge advantage. All you have to do then is make their music sound right/good to you and them. Think like a bassist and as a musician, you DO NOT have to show them everything you can do believing they might be impressed. They want to hear their songs sounding great, not just you sounding great.

If I audition someone, I'm not really looking for masses of technical ability, I'm looking for timing and sensitivity, good tone from amp and hands, and a few whispers of a mutual musical connection which might indicate some sort of future musical harmony.

If you can play their songs in a way that increases their enjoyment of them, you're on a winner. It's subjective but you should be able to spot what bass playing they might like from hearing their songs. Just don't get tempted to go rilly rilly ree over them, especially in between songs when you should be doing that most important thing in an audition - letting them chat with you. Don't talk over them either.

While you are playing the songs, try to look at them and their body language, not at your bass or your shoes. If they are smiling or really getting into their music, carry on doing what you're doing.

Don't be nervous, go there with the attitude that Old Git points out, you are also auditioning [i]them[/i].

Good luck!

I'm not massively experienced so when i've done auditions (a grand total of 2 :) ) and the band pull out some originals that i've never heard then it can be kind of daunting, so first run through I just kind of listen and get a feel for the song, locking the timing with the drummer and concentrate on hitting the root notes.
Second run through i listen for where there are holes in what the guitarists are doing... spaces for a wee fill without clanking all over the other parts.
Has worked so far...

And as the Wise Old Git says... you are auditioning them too.

So relax and enjoy it, the worst that can happen is you won't get the place... this will not prevent the sun from rising in the morning and will not cause the earth to spin off its axis.

Oh and another thing, judging by many posts on here about unreliable musicians, if you show up at all you'll be the exception :)

If you show up at the agreed time (or just before), with working gear, working ears and a good attitude you'll be a long way ahead ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='895328' date='Jul 15 2010, 03:19 AM']Oh and another thing, judging by many posts on here about unreliable musicians, if you show up at all you'll be the exception :)

If you [u]show up at the agreed time (or just before)[/u], with working gear, working ears and a good attitude you'll be a long way ahead ...[/quote]

'Good point. OP, if you're not early then you're already late.

Also, if there's gear to be moved, please lend a hand and show them you're a team player.

Any technical ability is a plus too. (Soldering irons win friends amongst predominantly technophobic musicians.)

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='895288' date='Jul 15 2010, 04:33 AM']Flats and ashtrays came back, didn't they?[/quote]

[quote name='OldGit' post='895324' date='Jul 15 2010, 08:14 AM']Ah so true! :)[/quote]

Ah so true +2!

Hope it all goes well!

Having just succesfully got a gig in an covers band on Tuesday I know how it feels.

Some good advice here already, just be yourself. You'll know within the first half hour if your right or not just by that 'magic' interaction that happens when you start playing. Be friendly during the breaks, talk about infleunces to the drummer, guitars to the lead, dont speak to the rythmn, just don't.

At my audition they pretty much ignored me during the songs, business as usual then.

Good luck

all good advice , dont know if its too late but heres my tuppence in the cup
had a singer audition for a band i played in a while back, she spent time between
songs sending and reading text messages and wondering why the amps were buzzing and popping
as she sent messages. needless to say she didnt get the gig, switch yer phone off just incase you get
a call or message from a well wisher.
and as others have said if you dont feel the groove with them musically and as people then
mabe theyre not the band for you, if they want you, ask yourself do i want them??
drummers are generally a bit mad but its gotta be a mad that you like, he/shes the most important
one in the group after the bass of course.
just turn up early, setup the way you always do, be sensitive to volume, enjoy the experience,
and good luck, i hope its the band for you dude. :)

heya guys had the audition and unfortunately they werent for me, they were nice guys but they didnt even have a drummer and they were a good 40 minutes drive away and doing that every friday would not have been cool and i didnt feel the magic or the spark with them when i started playing either so i suppose i have to keep looking.

thanks again though for all your advice i'll definately remember it :)

no THEY had no drummer and were set up in a groggy corner of a sh*tty porta cabin and werent rock at all they were indie chord whores and not in a "studio" at all like they advertised so i was honest with em and said no sorry its not for me, they were also astounded by the fact i was playing a 5 string :)