Why become a member? ×

5 String Jazz Bass Type Thing

Rumple

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just when you think you've seen it all, somebody comes up with an unusual but spectacular choice of colours. Makes me think Danelectro for some reason but I really like it :)

Thanks for all the nice words on the finish.

I'm planning on picking it up from Bow Finishing and delivering it to Marty Siggery on Monday along with all the parts to have it put together and set up.

Today I have been on a round trip taking in the lovely Surrey, East Sussex and Kent countryside, got slightly spooked at one point when coming out of a corner I was confronted by a bull in the middle of the road!!

I digress, the beautifully finished body was picked up for Chris and John at Bow Finishing (spotted a GB in for painting) and after a chat I headed off to drop everything off at Marty Siggery's in Crowborough.

R.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A lost in transit e-mail from Marty to me has caused some confusion, the bass has been ready for a few weeks, I just need to find the time to go to Crowborough to pick it up, hopefully later this week or possibly on the way to the West Dean Chilli Festival on Sunday.

BREAKING NEWS!

Picked the bass up today and and to my eyes it's a thing of beauty, played it a little through the computer and acoustically and it sounds very nice to.

I have to do some work now but I'll get pics up tomorrow, write up my thoughts and say thanks to all involved - watch this space.

R.

It's taken a long time to get to the finished product but I think it has been well worth it, I have a lovely bespoke bass, learned a lot, met some nice people who are passionate about what they do, I already have a plan for the next build!

First things first, the finish on the body is stunning, even if you don't like my colour choice you would love the quality of the job Bow Finishing did, in fact considering the bass was made and worked on by various people the fit and finish of everything is excellent, better then another bass I had made for me by a single company.

On to the sound, I have only been able to try it through my computer system so far, it will probably be a month or so until I can try it out in a band situation but it sounds like a jazz bass to me, quite bright but that's probably the new strings, I tend to use old one on all my basses, sounds great acoustically with lots of sustain so I'd say it a thumbs up.

Neck is excellent, looks great is smooth and the slightly narrower string pacing is just what I needed.

To be very picky there are a couple of little niggles, it's heavy at 5kg that's 0.5 more then my Lakland. The Varitone will almost definitely go, I thought I'd give one a try but it brings nothing to the table as far as I need so I'll leave it until after I have used it in a band situation but then either put in a standard Jazz control plate or use the 60's style stacked knob one I have in the draw somewhere, the stacked one would mean a new scratch plate as it's a slightly different shaped plate, I'll post a separate thread at some point but I'd like peoples opinions on what way they think I should go.

Lastly and certainly not least a big thank you to all involved, some going well above and beyond what they had to.

Howard (The Bass Doc) for the body, routing and scratch plate which kicked the whole project off.

Lawrence (henry norton) for the neck, nothing was too much trouble.

Chris and John at Bow Finishing for a beautiful refinish.

Marty Siggery for putting it all together and setting it up.

[attachment=86398:P1010903_low.jpg]
[attachment=86400:P1010910_low.jpg]
[attachment=86399:P1010908_low.jpg]

Holy Mothers! that looks fantastic. I'd be well impressed with that on any level but knowing I had a bit of an input makes me feel right proud :) The finishers have done a nice job too - bursts are difficult to do at the best of times but black on white is one of the trickiest to get right. You must be well pleased.