Why become a member? ×

5 String Jazz Bass Type Thing

Rumple

I drank all the port so there are no picks of that only the neck!

I quickly attached the tuners to the neck before taking the snaps, I have done a close up of the end so you can see the slight overhang of the fretboard. I placed the neck into the pocket on the body to show a rough idea of how it will eventually look, I'm going to nip to B&Q tomorrow to get some wood filler so I can relocated the bridge and control plate screws.

I have decided to definately get the body refinished so I'm on the look out for someone to do that over the next few weeks.

[attachment=67199:P1000889_72.jpg]
[attachment=67197:P1000887_72.jpg]
[attachment=67198:P1000886_72.jpg]

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1070222' date='Dec 27 2010, 04:06 PM']Thanks, Rumple. I shall most likely be dropping the good Doctor a line in the New Year, after I have worked out whether I want EMGs or something more vintage. I'm completely torn between the EMG 40P (with that excellent P growl) and old-school Jazz.

What made you go for the Nordstrands?[/quote]

Are you going to building a 4 or 5 string?

I think a P J combination could be quite good on a 4, I like the idea of a Jazz BAss with a P pup in the neck position. I'm tempted to go that route with a fretless 4 build.

I'll be honest and it was the look of those pick ups I was attracted to at first but they have a great reputation, they do about 3 variations and hopefully the Big Splits will give me the tone I want. they are a pretty standard Bart size so I can swop them out or even add active controls if they don't suit me.

I would also be going for a 5 string. I figure that an EMG 40P in the neck and a single coil EMG Jazz in the bridge would be the best. That way, I can always get a new scratchplate and put in a standard single coil in the neck if I want to change back.

Great bass - I look forward to seeing the finished product!

I filled the bridge and control plate screw holes in the body today and sanded a bit of the varnish off at the end of the neck pocket to see if it would be possible for me to remove it all before sending the body for a refinish, I could only get fine (240) sand paper at Homebase not extra fine but it removed the varnish pretty quickly and feels quite smooth so I think a few hours of elbow grease should be enough to get it back to bare wood.

It is shaping up nicely. I would go with the idea of putting it all together to see how it sounded before paint.

You could ask Chris Mcintyre about that and I think he is near to you...???
Sims would be an excellent choice, IMO, but you need to know their work is justified on the end product.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1074425' date='Jan 1 2011, 03:01 PM'][url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/about.htm"]http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/about.htm[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the link.

I got a quote today from Marty Siggery of £150 to spray the body which I thought was a good price but I have no idea what the quality of his work is like.

I have attached the bridge and contol plate today, the plate isn't wired up though yet.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1075000' date='Jan 2 2011, 04:39 AM']arty

Having seen a couple of Marty's basses they look really nice and of a good quality. I know Molan used to have a Siggery so perhaps PM him and ask

Great build thread, can't wait to see it finished[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words and head up, I'll PM Molan.

I have just taken a ruler to my new neck and my Lakland, it's a boring fact but pretty important to me, at the 7th fret my new neck is 55mm the Lakland is 60mm. One of the main reasons for this build was to end up with a narrower necked 5 string with a small string spacing, I'm pretty chuffed so far.

Just one word about resprays. By all means take a recommendation, but what one shop allow as acceptable, another will not.
I guess that is what you pay your money for.

The trick is knowing what that standard is and how much you are willing to pay for it.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1076225' date='Jan 3 2011, 12:53 PM']Just one word about resprays. By all means take a recommendation, but what one shop allow as acceptable, another will not.
I guess that is what you pay your money for.

The trick is knowing what that standard is and how much you are willing to pay for it.[/quote]

Wise words, refinishing is a bit of a mind field I'm finding. the last thing I want to do is ruin the whole project with a cheap spray job but neither do I want to pay top dollar when it could have been done just as well for half the price. it's turning into the hardest decision I have had to make so far!

Cheers

R.

• 4 weeks later...

Blimey December and Jan have been very hectic work wise so this project has been a bit overlooked but yesterday my Dad was visiting and we managed to file the nut down to an acceptable level, fix the tuners on properly, ad the string retainer and countersink some holes in the body for the neck screw bushes.

• 1 month later...

No huge developements on the build front, I have been too busy with work to dedicate much time to it.

I have come up with design for a neck plate that the very helpful Basschatter 'dougie' is going to ask his nephew to make for me.

Also I was on the look out for a black nut but Lawrence has some black blanks now and is going to shape one for me and send it over.

I'm thinking if I don't get time to finish this soon I may take it to a luthier and get it sprayed, bolted together and set up.

R.

Neck plate designed by me, drawn up in AutoCAD by my mate and going to be made in stainless steel by basschats 'doougie'

Quite excited about something that will hardly ever be seen :)

[attachment=73862:neck_plate_drawing.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

Once I have the last couple of bits for this I have decided I'm going to take it all to a luthier and get the body sprayed up and the whole thing assembled and set up. Time the bass was finished!

• 2 months later...

Well after some hectic times sorting out the freelance business I have finally got round to doing something to progress this project, the body is being collected today by a courier to go off for refinishing.

I have given up on my bespoke neck plate design as the person who was doing it for me for free just stopped getting in touch, I tried a couple of small companies but the cost was way too high, shame as I thought it would look excellent.

The plan is to get a luthier to put it all together once the spray job is finished.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1251375' date='May 31 2011, 12:53 PM']Exciting times ahead! Are you still going for the white to black sunburst?[/quote]

Hi Lawrence, yes I decided to risk it even though it's a tough combination to do, fingers crossed it will look as nice as I believe it will.