Why become a member? ×

Today i tried a fender custom shop

CHRISDABASS

For the record PMT in Leeds gave me such a hard time trying to buy a brand new Jazz Bass about 14 months ago that I got sick of it and complained to Fender.

The worst customer service I have ever received. I bought my Orange AD200b and OBC410 from them a week before. Id sold my old MIA Fender P Deluxe so I wanted a Jazz straight away.

At first, the sales rep (I wont mention his name but I know he is part of the Leeds music scene) wouldnt price match, when on the phone a young lady said it was no problems. In fact, she had even checked with the manager.

Next, he decides to match it (and we are only talking the same price as everywhere else had them for) and I also ask for a brand new Orange OBC115 (as their stock one was covered in black marks and people were using it to sit on) and a set of covers for the Orange.

He doesnt even look into ordering the OBC115, as he wont sell me anything but the one in the store. Orange confirmed that this is NOT the way they operate; customers can order brand new items with no hassle. He then forgets about the covers. I give up and order brand new from my local store back in NE Lincs (Pooles/PSS Music) and it turns up fresh/sealed :) Not only that, it was cheaper. Luckily my AD200b and OBC410 were brand new and I bought them 1 week after they had gone on display.

The Jazz arrived late, and it was covered in marks. The bass looked like it had been polished with cheap polish as the bass was covered in a weird residue. The pups were badly marked, and the strings were dead. In addition, the obvious Fender stickers and guard/tuner covers had been removed. They had even tried to put a new sticker on the pickguard but it was obvious even to my girlfriend that they had taken it off another.

Next, they agree to order another. I dont trust them now, so I remember most of the serial number from the original.

2 weeks later, they call to say its arrived. Yet again, SAME bass, more polish. I got into a bit of an argument, demand my deposit back, and I will never trust them again. Even the manager knew what was going on.

Just be careful. I was lucky as two weeks later I discovered the Bass Merchant and the service there is like a breath of fresh air. No pressure, no messing about, completely relaxed and they help anyone from the serious pro down to the beginner.

Rant over....Im still angry hahah.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='wesfinn' post='891898' date='Jul 11 2010, 12:20 PM']the thing you have to remember is that everybody is different in how they like theyre bass set up.[/quote]
There's a big difference between trying a bass in shop that is perfectly playable but will need a final tweek to get it just right for you, and being handed a bass or guitar that is pretty much unplayable.

[quote name='RhysP' post='891860' date='Jul 11 2010, 11:43 AM']I would think that There are a damn sight more Fender Custom Shop basses made than Sadowsky or Status basses.

The whole Fender Custom Shop thing is just a bloody big con, as is their "Master built" stuff.
It's all still cut by the same machines, it's just screwed together by an American "Craftsman" rather than a minimum wage immigrant drone.

I've worked in a music shop in the 80s that sold high end basses (Jaydee, Alembic, Pangborne, Manson, Overwater etc.) & these basses would invariably arrive at the shop set up to perfection. The most they might need is a bit of a truss rod tweak if they'd been through some different temperatures en route.

For the money they charge a Fender custom shop bass should arrive at the dealer with a great set-up. No excuses.[/quote]
..sounds like the only thing it needed was a setup...passive Fenders need a bit of time to get used to them...There not going to blow you away straight away, like an active Sadowsky..they need a bit of time...My CS is easily as good as any Sadowsky in terms of build quality and playability..

I think that the new Fenders are easily as good as Sadowsky's in terms of build quality..the fact that Fender build way more basses than Sadowsky may have something to do with a inconsistency in any build Q..

and whats the difference in price from a Metro to an American Fender...just shy of a grand..

Yes they should be spot on setup wise but ive picked up a UV5 before and it was really badly setup...Depends on the shop...

Are you saying that Sadowsky's arent cut by the same machine?..So what it needs a set up, big deal...i do agree that CS basses are are expensive though...I will say i picked up a CS jazz in a shop in Swansea and it was a peach...blew me away...

Minimum wage Immigrant drone???? :)

This thread seems to be about the shops not the basses

Edited by bubinga5

If I could find a Sadowsky with the tone of a Fender id buy it. I admit Sadowsky Metros are very very well made, but are hitting the point of mass production IMO, so I just cannot see myself shelling out £1700 for one of their basses. Its a shame as the Metros are no longer 'affordable' to normal people unless they sell a few others to get one.

Since 2008, the whole 'Lakland and Sadowsky are better than Fender' viewpoint is becoming weaker and weaker.

Id still like a Sadowsky, but as Ive said, it would need to be cheaper than £1700 and with more of a passive grunt.

This is why I don't bother with these types of basses anymore..too hit and miss, IMV.

Not saying there aren't any good ones...but I stick with small volume makes and talk to the guy whose name is all over the bass...
Once theser operations sell out to larger concerns and the labour gets shipped elsewhere, that is where you can expect a downturn in the marque. Not always, but I'll wager that the second level of makers loses something just through having to cater for sheer volume. Some bad ones will slip through and devalue the name.

Generally, IMO.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='892051' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:23 PM']Yes they should be spot on setup wise but ive picked up a UV5 before and it was really badly setup...Depends on the shop...[/quote]
You can't blame a shop for poorly cut nuts, unfinished frets & the like. These sort of things are far from uncommon on USA Fenders & Gibsons (basses & guitars), which I think is pretty appalling given the money they cost.

For the kind of money they cost they BLOODY WELL SHOULD arrive at the shop with a decent set-up. Other firms can do it, why can't Fender? Surely the least you can ask for when paying thousands for a bass is some indication of quality control at source?
But no, Fender are very aware that people will still buy their stuff regardless of how shoddy it is just because of the name on the headstock & so they continue to treat the customer with contempt.

I've never played a Sadowsky that I thought was worth anywhere near the asking price either.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='892051' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:23 PM']Minimum wage Immigrant drone???? :)
This thread seems to be about the shops not the basses[/quote]
What I was referring to here is the poorly paid, mainly Mexican workers who Fender employ to assemble their basses & guitars - there is comparatively little skilled luthiery work goes into a Fender, be it a Squier or a "Masterbuilt" model.

Unfortunately a Fender "Masterbuilder" gets paid considerably more to screw a couple of bits of wood together than his more lowly counterpart who probably does the job just as well.

Edited by RhysP

I've had nothing but good experience with Fender CS basses, the first one I had, a custom classic in blue, with maple neck, was a joy to play, but it didn't sat long as I was playing 5's all the time. I picked it up in the shop, didn't notice what it was and it played like a dream!

The reliced Dakota red bass you saw, I think is a limited run of basses with a mahogany neck, 50 I think, hence the high price! I have played one, it wasnt as good as the CS i owned, I used it for some recording, but had to do some minor set up to get it to work right for me and the recording!

I now have a sea foam green custom classic, it's sweet, plays and sounds great and was about 1/2 the price of the one you played. I waited for ages for either a SF green or sonic blue bass to appear and ended up taking a chnace on one from the US, based on my previous experience of CS basses the risk was minimal!

I do think the deluxe basses are close to team built custom shop models, and I have played some great mex' jazzes!!!

Tony

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='891847' date='Jul 11 2010, 11:28 AM']You're right! fender have no excuse at this price point!

Maybe all the extra money in the bass i played went into making it look old and battered? lets take a look at the Mexican Road Worn series of basses....just how much of the extra money you pay goes into the relic process and how much better are they from a standard mexican instrument? are they worth twice the money?

(im not attacking the RW series as ive never played one)

:)[/quote]

That's exactly what I thought- I'm not paying extra for some Mexican to spit on it and drag it across the shop floor, so I thought I was being clever by getting my local shop to order in a couple of Classic '50's Precisions.

Tried them side-by-side with a Road Worn- absolutely no contest. Road Worn was unbelievable. And waaay lighter!

Bought the RW even though I was determined not to.

I think Fender have put extra effort into the RW's- I understand the point you were trying to make, but you were unlucky in picking the one range of basses that (most) people seem to think Fender really have gone the extra mile with!

I tried a US precision in PMT in Bristol last week. Not impressed. Action too high, just felt wrong in my hands. Picked up a Classic Vibe Squier P in Fiesta Red- Felt way better! 1/3 the price!

I just tried an old CIJ precision with dead strings and I have to say it blew me away. So much better than the US model it was embarrasing- and it had 3 year old dead strings on.

I really think my next fender will be a CIJ. I just can't justify buying a new US model when I've felt better for less.

Never tried a custom shop, but if I wasn't absolutely bowled over by one then I'd be seriously dissapointed.