Why become a member? ×

Why don't more sellers of basses include sound clips

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='889596' date='Jul 8 2010, 03:31 PM']I sold a 70s Fender P on eBay, and posted a little videoclip I made into the auction:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8GOgZTvwA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8GOgZTvwA[/url]

It shows that the bass:

a ) Really existed
b ) Growled like a good'un
c ) Rang true and clean all the way to thehighest frets

No doubt it also fuelled GAS in prospective buyers... despite my lousy playing. It went for a fair bit more than I hoped.

So... I think it's a good thing. People like to see stuff.[/quote]

That sort of proves my point.

Through my computer's desktop speakers to me that sounds terrible, and even running the clip through my studio system, I'm still not that impressed. All that shows is that WoT and myself have entirely different ideas of what a good bass tone should be ;-)

Also it would be a breeze for an unscrupulous seller to record to record something on a really good sounding bass and then mine along in the video clip. After all, the funk is in the fingers isn't it?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='889754' date='Jul 8 2010, 06:28 PM']Through my computer's desktop speakers to me that sounds terrible, and even running the clip through my studio system, I'm still not that impressed. All that shows is that WoT and myself have entirely different ideas of what a good bass tone should be ;-)[/quote]
Heh... it's not my idea of good tone either. I would have put flats on it... :)

Just to derail slightly - I just cannot understand the mentality of people who post videos of themselves playing bass on Youtube.
Whys do people feel the need to do this? Are they so insecure that they desperately need people to tell them how great a bass player they are? Or is it a "15 minutes of fame" thing?

Maybe this needs to be a seperate thread.......

Sorry Clarky, due to age factor I was a village idiot before you!

What I always offer to anybody interested in any bass I have for sale, is for me to play it over the phone,at my expense, BEFORE they come to see it.
Not infallible I know, and open to unscrupulessness (does that word exist?), but I let them know what equipment is being used, settings etc.
The little feedback I have seems to give creedence to me not being a scammer.

I really don't have the life expectancy to figure out YouTube.

Regardless of all this, I really wont buy a bass now without trying it, although I did recently get lucky with Old Gits 70's re-issue P, it fits like a glove.

From Wigan, going back into my cobbled roof cave now. :)

[quote name='RhysP' post='889772' date='Jul 8 2010, 07:04 PM']Just to derail slightly - I just cannot understand the mentality of people who post videos of themselves playing bass on Youtube.
Whys do people feel the need to do this? Are they so insecure that they desperately need people to tell them how great a bass player they are? Or is it a "15 minutes of fame" thing?

Maybe this needs to be a seperate thread.......[/quote]
I've got quite a lot of stuff on YT.

If you look at it, you'll realise within a couple of seconds that it's not an attempt to show what great a bass player I am... God forbid. I'll leave that kind of thing to MarloweDK, who I think is awesome.

In my formative years hunting for gear, I struggled to find clips of people... playing the bass. There was loads of slapping and flashiness, and I found it really difficult to compare stuff to gauge fundamental differences.

Most of the stuff I have up there consists of me playing the same line on different combinations of amps, cabs, basses and strings to help people compare.

It's obviously not scientific, but people do find it useful. I know this because I get lots of messages from people saying so. Which is nice.

I also get fair few telling me 'my chops suck', or 'Dude, play something different!' or similar. ha ha.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='889899' date='Jul 8 2010, 09:48 PM']I've got quite a lot of stuff on YT.

If you look at it, you'll realise within a couple of seconds that it's not an attempt to show what great a bass player I am... God forbid. I'll leave that kind of thing to MarloweDK, who I think is awesome.

In my formative years hunting for gear, I struggled to find clips of people... playing the bass. There was loads of slapping and flashiness, and I found it really difficult to compare stuff to gauge fundamental differences.

Most of the stuff I have up there consists of me playing the same line on different combinations of amps, cabs, basses and strings to help people compare.

It's obviously not scientific, but people do find it useful. I know this because I get lots of messages from people saying so. Which is nice.

I also get fair few telling me 'my chops suck', or 'Dude, play something different!' or similar. ha ha.[/quote]

I agree with all this...but actually I think it's really good performance practice for lots of people to put vids up of themselves - you don't have to watch it if you don't want (and it's not something I've ever done myself), but the 'pressure' of performing for others, with video evidence for dissection afterwards, is a good stepping stone out of the bedroom as it were.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='889328' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:33 AM']Personally I think sound clips are a bit meaningless.

All they show is how the current player of the bass sounds with their choice of whatever extra gear they have the bass plugged into. That doesn't mean that I'll ever get the same sound even with exactly the same signal path.

The only meaningful sound for me is how the bass sounds with me playing it through my gear in the musical context that I want to use it.

Someone else's playing can't show me that ever.[/quote]
What BRX said, it depends so much on the pedals, backline etc and most definitely the playing of the person demoing the bass, to the point where video clips mean very little. I never bother listening to them if they are offered.