Why become a member? ×

Help needed : can't choose between a sadowsky or a dingwall !

flychris

So, I sold 2 years ago my last 5er and need one now ...
cause, eh ... it's useful.

I mainly use a skjold (so modern sound) and would like to find a 5er in the same philosophy.

I'm interested in Sadowsky (mainly modern 5er) and Dingwall basses.

both has a varaiation "costless" design, metro for sado and combustion for dingwall also which could be another option.

I tested both and like them both .... it's the heck and feel confortable on them too.

I tested a sado modern 24 and a dingwall Super J.

So could you help to choose the good one ?

Bear in mind that the "budget" versions of these two manufacturers are quite different. The Combustion series is made in China to Dingwall's specs but ime is very much a factory-made feeling bass. The Metros from Sadowsky are pitched at a significantly higher price bracket and are pretty much hand made. If Roger Sadowsky recommends buying a Metro over an NYC if you don't want a custom colour or fancy top then he must have complete confidence in them.
The Gallery currently has an M5-24, Hybrid PJ5, and a Dingwall Combustion. Also check out the Canadian-made ABZ - a little more expensive than the Combustions, but feels different class (light as a feather too). If you can get to London it'd be worth paying a visit to make your mind up.
Personally speaking I would go with a Sadowsky Metro (and I'd choose the Hybrid PJ5 because it is more versatile than the Modern) as they look the business, and the brand has a more popular profile than Dingwall, so should you tire of it you'll find it a lot easier to move on without losing too much money.

EDIT - just realised you were talking about the NYC and the Super J. Well, NYC models are going to cost you around $4000 plus duty and VAT, and the last Super J that the Gallery had in was £2775. Great basses of course, but I'd buy a Metro and spend the rest of the money on a nice holiday :)

Edited by XB26354

Never tried a Dingwall, but aesthetically they aint my bag. Having owned a Sado and played a few, I have to say I've been underwhelmed by them. I find them a bit sterile.

Me? I'd buy an Overwater.

[i]Just my opinion[/i].

I've always prefered active jazz basses but I love my sadowsky m24. It always sound great, it's the most consistant, musical bass I've played. I wouldn't change it for any other bass guitar. It's a metro but the finish is amazing. The pre is the best I've used (also love the fbass pre).
Don't bother with the NYC, I got my metro from the bass gallery, go and try one!