Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic RS212 + Barefaced Compact?

DaveMuadDib

I'm currently using a TC Electronic RS212 as my cab of choice, and if I absolutely must, I run through my Peavey 410tx as well to give it a whole bunch more oomph, and this is quite comfortable for backlining. Shame is, the 4x10 ways a friggin ton, and it's huge, but it pushes air.

I've heard great things about Barefaced, and I might possibly be able to get my hands on a Compact (via a certain GASeous entity who is most definitely reading this post :)), and failing that, I might consider buying one brand new, because they're so goshdarn... Compact!

But my real question is - coupled with the TC 2x12, is the (no-tweeter) Compact *really* any match for my 4x10, and could I afford to sacrifice this monster and not have to worry about backline gigs? Has anyone ever tried this exact combination?

For the record, my amp is a Markbass Little Mark II, but it will soon be an Orange Terror Bass 500. It would have been yesterday, had the one that arrived not been a brick :-/

I don't know what to doooooooo!!!! I'm now starting to think about just buying a midget t and selling the STD 102hf and keeping said compact in question!!

Aaarrrghh Dave and I need to STOP drinking together. We've talked ourselves into a pickle !!!

Thank you to everyone that has replied! After much deliberation, my current school of thought is coming back to my very first original one - to go for the RS210. I already love my RS212 and I think the 210 would be the perfect compliment. The 212 cab is already portable enough for my liking, so the 210 should be a breeze. And it's always wise to match up, as most of you have already said.

RS210 it is. Anyone selling one? :-)

One more question - is this going to be enough to gig with, backline, and cut through? Could I risk parting with my current 4x10?

Dont worry, the RS210 and RS212 TOGETHER will absolutely bury the 4x10 youve got.

The RS cabinets are very loud IMO.

I play in a LOUD melodic skate ounk band and we have no worries practicing with ONE RS210.

The RS210 is that little bit easier to move which is great.

[quote name='JTUK' post='888461' date='Jul 7 2010, 02:13 PM']I am a firm believer in matching up amps and cabs.
I would think that generally a TC amp and cabs would be better than a TC amp and cab and AN OTHER.[/quote]

Agreed.

But if it were me, I would buy another identical cab - the RS212. That's got to be better than mixing it with an RS210? Also, aren't the cabs the same size as well?

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='888852' date='Jul 7 2010, 07:44 PM']Agreed.

But if it were me, I would buy another identical cab - the RS212. That's got to be better than mixing it with an RS210? Also, aren't the cabs the same size as well?

Frank.[/quote]

The 212 is quite a bit deeper than the 210. I was tempted to go down the double 212 route, but the extra bit of tightness that a 210 provides, coupled with the cab being that much more portable than my current 212, outweigh the mismatch in my eyes!

Strangely, TC have no reports of problems with mixing drivers. Not only that, most of their Artists use the RS210+212.

I asked Uffe himself, the chap who was behind the whole RH450 idea, and he said they designed them so they could be mixed.

I dont care about mixing anyway, I use a 4x10 with a 1x15 purely because it sounds amazing.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='888880' date='Jul 7 2010, 08:18 PM']Strangely, TC have no reports of problems with mixing drivers. Not only that, most of their Artists use the RS210+212.

I asked Uffe himself, the chap who was behind the whole RH450 idea, and he said they designed them so they could be mixed.

I dont care about mixing anyway, I use a 4x10 with a 1x15 purely because it sounds amazing.[/quote]

Yeah I dont get this dont mix drivers stuff, orange always promote both the 410 and 115 as the perfect combination and there is no reason for them to if say 2 x 410 was better, they would promote that instead, also if you use pa support then your sound is coming from all kinds of drivers anyhow

MM what combinations of your TC cabs have you gigged?

I am not fussed about mixing drivers...but would be more so mixing different makes of cabs.
I would expect most makers to tailor their cab range..of whatever config.. to their amps and do so better 99% of the time than a seperate cab made by someone else. You might often get decent and excellent combinations but more through trial and error or hit and miss type experiments, IMV

In the case of the OP...TC 212's or 210's would be my start-off point..and I doubt you'll need to look much further than those..

[quote name='lojo' post='889650' date='Jul 8 2010, 04:23 PM']Yeah I dont get this dont mix drivers stuff, orange always promote both the 410 and 115 as the perfect combination and there is no reason for them to if say 2 x 410 was better, they would promote that instead, also if you use pa support then your sound is coming from all kinds of drivers anyhow

MM what combinations of your TC cabs have you gigged?[/quote]

Ive rehearsed 'loudly' at full gig volumes with the RS210, then the RS210 + 212. The RS210 did a LOT on its own I must say. The RS210+212 sounds fantastic to me.

If you want a more full low mid and want to move a little more air, 2 x RS212 would be the best choice.

With two identical cabs you KNOW the pair are an improvement over a single cab.

With two different cabs you might get an improvement and you might not. Why risk it? (That is, unless tha manufacturer has designed them to be matched).

As far as matching the same manufacturers amps and cabs. I've never really thought about it before. Initially, I think the speakers are powered by a voltage. I'm not sure if the source of that voltage is all that critical in terms of who made the amp. I might be wrong so I'd be interested to hear from an expert - I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Frank.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='889663' date='Jul 8 2010, 04:37 PM']Ive rehearsed 'loudly' at full gig volumes with the RS210, then the RS210 + 212. The RS210 did a LOT on its own I must say. The RS210+212 sounds fantastic to me.

If you want a more full low mid and want to move a little more air, 2 x RS212 would be the best choice.[/quote]

Very reassuring! I'm 100% convinced now that an RS210 is the way to go. If the current consensus is that the TC cabs are designed to match up with each other, then I completely don't see any reason not to. Thick bass down below, but punchy up top where you need it - perfect! And I'd also have the choice of two different cabs to gig or practice with solo, rather than just two of the same. It's a winner!