Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

musciman stingray NR

munkonthehill

Thanks for the cool reply folks (except Gerry and Pete of course :) hahahaha), yeah this is a lovely bass, I just hope I get on with it better than its predecessor!!!!!

The main differences I have noticed with my limited use: much lighter than the ray, which may be down to it being made of basswood.
Greater output, posibbly as its a 18v circuit and extra pickup.
Easier to get a useful tone thanks to the EQ and pickup selection.

So watch this space folks and fingers crossed for me hahahaha.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='947446' date='Sep 6 2010, 05:53 PM']OMG how long before this one is up for a swap?

Well, William Hill has quoted me the following odds:

weekend 2/1

Monday 3/1

Tuuesday 5/1

1 month 100/1!

Only kidding Steve.

Mabye :)

By the way, is that a body in that case?

Jez[/quote]
Theyve cut Tomorrows odds to 8/15

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='948035' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:07 AM']well brother if your in the neighbourhood i will have the kettle on :)[/quote]

I nearly brought a bongo from the states, but then I looked at it...
I don't understand your reasoning behind buying a bongo after you decided you didn't like a standard RAY.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='948110' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:14 AM']To be fair, as much as a Bongo is an EBMM, it sounds very modern and 'new' to my ears in the demos....quite a big departure from a Ray. Youll still get that EBMM tone in it though...[/quote]

yeah it feels and plays like the ray i had, but has a different sound. I loved the ray, so i really wanted something like it but with a different voice.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='948108' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:12 AM']because its not a standard RAY.[/quote]

But you wanted a rickenbacker?
Does the missus know you have this? Or she not noticed because the case takes up less space than the old stingray did?

The 2 bongos I've actually used sounded like rays but like starlings are slightly more hi-fi than old school, and still have that mid range punch, I guess the single would make some kind of difference but I'm rAther skeptical, you may have been better off with a big al SSS?

Well I had the bongo at a mini rehearsal on Tuesday (basement with practice amps and rolands drumkit).

This bass is a monster, its got amazing depth to its sound and is very growly indeed. The setup on it is perfect with that slight buzzing on frets that I had with the stingray.

The blend between the H and S pickup give the bass 2 lovely voices with of course a blended 3rd voice

and then there is the EQ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW.

having the 4 band EQ is overboard for me, however if you try and take it away from me,,,,I will fight you. I didnt like the mids on the stingray as i found them too powerful, but hey,,,its a stingray, this is what stingrays do. The Bongo is a different animal altogether. The mids are more managable with the option of the hi and low mids. I found I used the low mids a bit more due to my preference in bottom end growl.

The bass and treble settings are easily used and managable into getting a sound I like instantly.

I have said it before,,,I loved the stingray I had, it looked lovely and played brilliant. However I just didnt like the sound once plugged in. Such a shame from a cracking bass.

The Bongo 'fits' me. It has the same plug in and play factor that my Jaguar has. So my good good people of BC I think I am finally happy. Ever since seeing the stealth that shockwave was selling, I really wanted one of these. As his was a 5'er it may have thrown me a bit as I only play 4's..However this bass was worth the wait.

I love it to bits and cant wait till I get it into full band rehearsal next Sunday.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='950872' date='Sep 9 2010, 05:59 PM']Well I had the bongo at a mini rehearsal on Tuesday (basement with practice amps and rolands drumkit).

This bass is a monster, its got amazing depth to its sound and is very growly indeed. The setup on it is perfect with that slight buzzing on frets that I had with the stingray.

The blend between the H and S pickup give the bass 2 lovely voices with of course a blended 3rd voice

and then there is the EQ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW.

having the 4 band EQ is overboard for me, however if you try and take it away from me,,,,I will fight you. I didnt like the mids on the stingray as i found them too powerful, but hey,,,its a stingray, this is what stingrays do. The Bongo is a different animal altogether. The mids are more managable with the option of the hi and low mids. I found I used the low mids a bit more due to my preference in bottom end growl.

The bass and treble settings are easily used and managable into getting a sound I like instantly.

I have said it before,,,I loved the stingray I had, it looked lovely and played brilliant. However I just didnt like the sound once plugged in. Such a shame from a cracking bass.

The Bongo 'fits' me. It has the same plug in and play factor that my Jaguar has. So my good good people of BC I think I am finally happy. Ever since seeing the stealth that shockwave was selling, I really wanted one of these. As his was a 5'er it may have thrown me a bit as I only play 4's..However this bass was worth the wait.

I love it to bits and cant wait till I get it into full band rehearsal next Sunday.[/quote]

+1 on your summary of the Bongo tone. If I plug in my Stingray 5 straight after the Bongo I'm always left a bit underwhelmed and wondering why all my volume and tone just dropped out. Its only after a few minutes of noodling on the Ray that I remember why I love them too.
On the Bongo I blend the pickups 90% of the time. Its not that I dont like either pickup solo'd but panned dead centre it is one of my favourite bass tones ever. The 18v, 4EQ preamp and neodynium magnets give a much more expansive sound than a Ray which sounds mids focused in comparison.
The playability of the 3 Bongos I've owned has been outstanding. My only gripes are the painted neck and the front pickups too close to the edge of the board but I've learned to live with both those niggles because everything else about them is top notch in my estimation. I even like the look of them nowadays,it took me a long time to get used to them but no worries now.
your looks the same finish as mine,sapphire black which is one of (if not the) best colours on a Bongo imo

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='951380' date='Sep 10 2010, 01:50 AM']+1 on your summary of the Bongo tone. If I plug in my Stingray 5 straight after the Bongo I'm always left a bit underwhelmed and wondering why all my volume and tone just dropped out. Its only after a few minutes of noodling on the Ray that I remember why I love them too.
On the Bongo I blend the pickups 90% of the time. Its not that I dont like either pickup solo'd but panned dead centre it is one of my favourite bass tones ever. The 18v, 4EQ preamp and neodynium magnets give a much more expansive sound than a Ray which sounds mids focused in comparison.
The playability of the 3 Bongos I've owned has been outstanding. My only gripes are the painted neck and the front pickups too close to the edge of the board but I've learned to live with both those niggles because everything else about them is top notch in my estimation. I even like the look of them nowadays,it took me a long time to get used to them but no worries now.
your looks the same finish as mine,sapphire black which is one of (if not the) best colours on a Bongo imo
[/quote]

yeah saphire black mate, I love the look of it. its a mans bass. It wouldnt look good on a girly.

I really like the HH models, however the HS i have throws up so many tones and immense power, plus I think I would kill myself or damage people in close proximity with a HH's output.

im loving this bass so much I think it may be my main gigging bass for a while. I know the looks of the Bongo (and possibly the duff name) put people off, however I would suggest this as one of the basses that should be tried before you die. However if you leave it too late, you will kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

Love them or hate them folks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this really is an amazing bass.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='951532' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:47 AM']I think despite the fact its a very 'marmite' look, the Bongo (and the Big Al) will always be around due to the fact they are incredibly powerful basses. I personally like the style of both of them, but im leaning towards the Big Al again as I want 3 single coils.[/quote]

yeah I started looking up the big al basses. what kind of tones are coming out of the single coils???? I cant help but think its going to be more trebly orientated.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='951549' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:54 AM']yeah I started looking up the big al basses. what kind of tones are coming out of the single coils???? I cant help but think its going to be more trebly orientated.[/quote]

Search for Big Al on youtube, there are a few reviews.

Id say they are more 'warm' and vintage sounding than the Bongo...the pickups are neo and it has the 4 band EQ. The thing that really attracts me is the passive option and tone control.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='951553' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:58 AM']Search for Big Al on youtube, there are a few reviews.

Id say they are more 'warm' and vintage sounding than the Bongo...the pickups are neo and it has the 4 band EQ. The thing that really attracts me is the passive option and tone control.[/quote]

youtube is a wonderful thing hahahaha. Just seen a a review by Ed Friedland - The Bass Whisperer.

He put the big al through its paces. lovely bass and very versatile too.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='951567' date='Sep 10 2010, 10:09 AM']youtube is a wonderful thing hahahaha. Just seen a a review by Ed Friedland - The Bass Whisperer.

He put the big al through its paces. lovely bass and very versatile too.[/quote]
I can't watch that review because I get massive GAS.

I think G is right about how it's voiced. It still has 'that' massive musicman sound, but it's still very different from what EBMM also produce.

I've had the Big Al 5 SSS now for 2 months and I can guarantee you all I've not had a dull day so far with that monster. The things that bass can do sonically are beyond belief. Vintage passive tones to give you goosebumps and powerful active driving tones to boot, I think this is a bass which you will find hard to put down, Ed Friedland review is great but it's only limited to his playing style: it's not all snap, crackle and pop, rest assured, this can be as deep as you want it to be, or as bluesy / jazzy / punk / new age / grunge / as you need. All in one single bass.

Also do not understimate the "funny looks" because regardless of the fact that it looks pointy and "Jetson's" like, the ergonomic has been designed in a very crafty way you see? The body it's actually quite small and comfortable, it sits tightly in your graps allowing your arm to reach the neck up and down with extreme ease, which I think once you play it, you will recognize that as a great advantage and that alone is a great selling point for this clever bass.

Enough said.

Edited by Grand Wazoo