Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

musciman stingray NR

munkonthehill

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='889105' date='Jul 7 2010, 11:13 PM']I think 'rays sound frickin awesome with rounds, in fact they're probably integral to their punchy sound. Unless you are intentionally aiming for a specific sound I can't see the point in trying flats.[/quote]

+1 :)

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='889086' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:59 PM']EBMM necks are natural maple, maple boards or rosewood, the necks are oil finished, silk or matt, so you need to do a bit of maintainance on them twice a year or they get grubby.
Plenty of info about this on the EBMM site/forum.
My neck is definitely not same cut of wood as fretboard but its well matched. Think - how would they get the truss rod in there? No skunk stripe on the back, like a strat.[/quote]
The necks actually leave the factory 'unfinished'..... no oil.
For care and maintenence EB recommend gun oil applied very sparingly with excess removed immediately.

I have never put anything on my EB neck just played it loads for years and now its like silk!
Going back to the beginning of the post why do bass players get more hung up on neck widths than guitarists? You go watch a band and the guitar players will swap from strat, tele, les paul and to acoustics etc etc but bassists are always going on about neck widths and profiles and how they would love to buy a 73 p but they can only play jazz necks etc! Most guitarists say that it just makes them play in a different style on different instruments and thats got to be a good thing hasnt it? I love my Rays but Im just as happy to sling the jazz on for a few songs without worrying about the nut width.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='889359' date='Jul 8 2010, 11:17 AM']Going back to the beginning of the post why do bass players get more hung up on neck widths than guitarists?[/quote]

Well my take on this is that a P neck is too wide for me to play comfortably. At least, the string spacing is my problem. Anything under that is fine, and because i have the choice i go for what makes me play better.

Dont forget, in general bass players have further to stretch than a guitarist. If its a physical thing then i would imagine as most guitar necks are well under the size of a P its not such an issue.

IMO of course and sorry so the generalization.

In full mythbuster tradition, I'm gonna stick my neck out here. I have a feeling it might be mainly down to a combination of "bad technique" and the size of the players hands. I have huge hands and find it easy to play most width necks. I haven't always had good technique though so guess my big hands may have helped.
When you think about it P necks and J necks all have the same sized heels and it is perhaps only after about the 7th fret that major differences appear in neck width and string spacing. If you are the type of player that loops their thumb over the neck then you might feel the difference in width more because you are "gripping" the neck. If you play with your thumb on the skunkstripe then you can pivot around it and the difference between the neck sizes feel less - the only important measurement becomes the distance between the G string and the edge of the neck rather than the entire neck width.
With the luxury of my big hands I can play both necks and use both techniques as and when needed - I use the "bad" technique for Steady Eddie pentatonic stuff and also to reach my freakishly big thumb over to damp the E and A strings of required but can revert back to the skunkstripe for the more intricate stuff that needs "finger per fret technique".

I dont think that holds up to be honest.
A Jazz bass feels different to a P bass (and there are many sizes and shapes of P neck). One will feel more comfortable than the other and thats the one i would go for.
Yes, i can happily play both (my Ray34 has been my main bass for a few months) but if one feels nicer then thats the one ill go for. Simple.

I do think its more string spacing rather than size though. I know most end up the same width at the bridge but i find i can play a 5 string a bit easier than i can a P. Wider neck but narrower string spacing.

Oh, and i do have long boney fingers.

Its all good though and whatever works for the individual is the right one.

Edited by dave_bass5

Neck width doesn't bother me too much (and I've got fairly small hands), and neither does string spacing at the nut, but neck profile does. The depth and shape of the back of the neck makes a big difference to me. The most comfortable neck I've tried so far is the ACG asymmetrical profile. Quite chunky on the bass side, but much slimmer under the thinner strings. The "wedge" shape helps to keep the thumb a bit straighter, so everything feels just a bit more... "natural". For want of a better word. It just feels "right".

Weirdest profile I've tried... Warwickhunt had a black Zon (I forget the model... maybe a Sonus?) with a neck that was essentially flat on the back, top to bottom, like a wood batten (except, presumably, graphite or composite :) ). Genuinely odd. I'd like to think I could adapt pretty easily to any neck, but that one would probably take a good while.

EDIT: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71184"]It was indeed a Sonus[/url]. Looking at the light reflected on the back of the neck, it's obvious that it [i]wasn't[/i] completely flat. Very shallow, but not flat. But by 'eck it felt it. Odd. :rolleyes:

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='889516' date='Jul 8 2010, 01:58 PM']Neck width doesn't bother me too much (and I've got fairly small hands), and neither does string spacing at the nut, but neck profile does. The depth and shape of the back of the neck makes a big difference to me. The most comfortable neck I've tried so far is the ACG asymmetrical profile. Quite chunky on the bass side, but much slimmer under the thinner strings. The "wedge" shape helps to keep the thumb a bit straighter, so everything feels just a bit more... "natural". For want of a better word. It just feels "right".

Weirdest profile I've tried... Warwickhunt had a black Zon (I forget the model... maybe a Sonus?) with a neck that was essentially flat on the back, top to bottom, like a wood batten (except, presumably, graphite or composite :) ). Genuinely odd. I'd like to think I could adapt pretty easily to any neck, but that one would probably take a good while.

EDIT: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71184"]It was indeed a Sonus[/url]. Looking at the light reflected on the back of the neck, it's obvious that it [i]wasn't[/i] completely flat. Very shallow, but not flat. But by 'eck it felt it. Odd. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I've got little hands, wombat claws if you will, and I'm the same with regards to neck width, pretty much anything is cool, nut width can be a little bit of a stretch on 6 strings and up however.
This is probably down to learning "proper technique" early on though, like Rich described.
I agree, the issue I think that contributes to comfort is the neck depth, which I struggled a little with my ol' Warwick.

As far as 4 string bass necks are concerned though, I think they all play amazingly easy as I've pretty much played 5 and 6 string basses for years.

+1 for asymmetrical neck profiles too, best of both worlds...

...and back to the original thread - lovely looking bass there Steve!
I personally would stick on some nice roundwound nickels to really bring out that MM growl, would be a nice contrast to the noises the others from your herd make...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='889105' date='Jul 7 2010, 11:13 PM']I think 'rays sound frickin awesome with rounds, in fact they're probably integral to their punchy sound. Unless you are intentionally aiming for a specific sound I can't see the point in trying flats.[/quote]

i feel as though ive just been reprimanded hahahahahaha

I'm late to the thread, but i just wanted to get this straight.... You bought a stingray on ebay, having never tried one previously, with absolutely no idea of how one might even feel to play and no idea of the price you should have paid for it.... and then came on here to ask about it, [i]after[/i] you bought it?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='889863' date='Jul 8 2010, 09:06 PM']I'm late to the thread, but i just wanted to get this straight.... You bought a stingray on ebay, having never tried one previously, with absolutely no idea of how one might even feel to play and no idea of the price you should have paid for it.... and then came on here to ask about it, [i]after[/i] you bought it?[/quote]

MB1. :)
:lol:

...anybody remember that Joboxers Tune "Just got Lucky!"...Think ya did there! :rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='budget bassist' post='889863' date='Jul 8 2010, 09:06 PM']I'm late to the thread, but i just wanted to get this straight.... You bought a stingray on ebay, having never tried one previously, with absolutely no idea of how one might even feel to play and no idea of the price you should have paid for it.... and then came on here to ask about it, [i]after[/i] you bought it?[/quote]

yip

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='889929' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:20 PM']check this regarding the flats or rounds on a stingray

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_KrCDjbV4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_KrCDjbV4[/url][/quote]

Finger style sounds real nice with the flats, I'm actually quite surprised, thought that would choke the "classic stingray sound", but I stand corrected.
Slapping on the flats sounded like ass though, which is not a surprise...

Still prefer the rounds myself though :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='889934' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:24 PM']Finger style sounds real nice with the flats, I'm actually quite surprised, thought that would choke the "classic stingray sound", but I stand corrected.
Slapping on the flats sounded like ass though, which is not a surprise...

Still prefer the rounds myself though :rolleyes:

Eude[/quote]

no im definetly sticking with the rounds Ewan. mainly so you can give me some more direction in slapping next time we meet :)

checked your Shuker page as well matey. how long have you been with them?