Why become a member? ×

Could I run an amp using this?

d-basser

I have been asked to busk for oxjam with my band and need a way of powering my rig.
Found [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225153"]this[/url] on maplin's site, would this be any good to power an amp?
I would be using a little 10 or 20W peavey practice amp since the others and unplugged so volume is not an issue.
I may at some point however decide to use this with my Orange bass terror and barefaced midget rig, I know this is more than 200W but would it be ok to use if I didnt turn it up too high?

Thanks guys

Dan

The clue is in the battery spec of the unit, which was stated as being 2 x 6v 5Ah batteries. That makes 12 volts at 5Ah, which basically means they can supply 60W for one hour.

But the inverter (to boost the voltage to 220Vac) won't be 100% efficient so that will consume some of that power itself. If we assume 80% efficiency, we get a figure of 48W for one hour.

I don't know the efficiency of a small bass amp, but let's assume 50%, meaning that a 10W amplifier will draw 20W of power.

So the unit should power your 10W amplifier for 48/20 = 2.4 hours.

If you try to draw more than 200W from the unit then the inverter will either go into self-protection mode (or just go bust!), but even when right on the limit it can only supply 200W for about 15 minutes with the specified batteries.

All these figures are approximate though and will depend a lot on the condition of the batteries and the efficiency assumptions, but they should give you a rough idea.

[quote name='d-basser' post='885795' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:53 PM']are there better options?[/quote]
An extension mains lead and friendly shopkeepers?

Or a car battery on a small luggage trolly with a separate inverter?

Power is power, I'm afraid - you can convert it but you can't conjure it up out of thin air.

I have an acoustic bass but they are very quiet, mine even more so since it is strung with flatwounds rather than acoustic strings. Even with the acoustic strings you couldn't hear it over guitar never mind guitar, percussion and vocals

Why not see if you can hire a small generator on the cheap.
If you explain it's for Charity, you may get a good deal.
Aldi/Lidl have generators occassionally for about £50, but for a 1 off I would see if you can blag one, or a long extension lead as already mentioned.

[quote name='Dubs' post='886367' date='Jul 5 2010, 03:31 PM'][b]My acoustic bass is also quite[/b], but if I play it with a pick it pretty much doubles in volume. Give that a go maybe?[/quote]

Acoustic basses are quiet because they're not the size that they need to be - ie the size of a double bass, to be useful without plugging them in.

Acoustic bass = double bass

Acoustic bass size of electric bass = electric bass

[quote name='bigjohn' post='886523' date='Jul 5 2010, 05:51 PM']I reckon therein lies your problem :)

I've never seen a band busking with electric bass. Have you?[/quote]

I pretty much make my living from playing bass in the street - just this weekend we've performed at Hat Fair in Winchester, the longest-running festival of street arts in the UK (36 years) - the Hat being the one passed around by performers to collect their tips. It's a huge festival which takes over the city for 3 days, with performers coming from all over the UK, Spain, France and as far away as Australia, Canada, America and New Zealand. It's a great honour to be invited (again) to perform in amongst some of the very top names in this field.

Down here in the south - Hampshire/Dorset etc - there's an Irish/Bluegrass outfit called the Huckleberries who use electric bass. They do the same as us (Red Jackson) and take a pa system onto the street with a little Honda generator. I still use the upright though - quite apart from my own preferences it's the right instrument for the street: looks impressive, grabs everyone's attention, and if you're any good at slap, will earn you more money. Punters love to see an upright bass being given a good slapping.

I know next to nothing about electricity so I can't comment on the battery/inverter options, although we have been considering going that way. Avoid the big Pignose battery amp - it's internal fittings are not robust enough (the batteries will fall over, thus disconnecting themselves from their terminals!). There are some options built by Crate that are very popular, not only with musicians, but also circus/theatre street performers who use them to play music/sound effects and to amplify clip on mics. They make a bass version, but I've never seen it and don't know anyone who uses one.

If you're serious about street performance, get an upright. You'll sometimes be able to use it acoustically, and with a little effort you can find a way to amplify it. Or make a tea chest! Seriously. Remember, this stuff is very close to theatre.

Tea chest is the best idea so far!

The problem with a generator / PA set up is the generator is likely to make too much noise. You'd need to PA everything.

Agree about the theatre thing. I'm just as likely (if not more) to give money to buskers for being entertained than I am because of how they sound.

I used to give money to 'arl tramp in Liverpool who busked with a cardboard cutout of a guitar. He was great... Sad loss.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='886666' date='Jul 5 2010, 09:00 PM']Tea chest is the best idea so far!

The problem with a generator / PA set up is the generator is likely to make too much noise. You'd need to PA everything.

Agree about the theatre thing. I'm just as likely (if not more) to give money to buskers for being entertained than I am because of how they sound.

I used to give money to 'arl tramp in Liverpool who busked with a cardboard cutout of a guitar. He was great... Sad loss.[/quote]
Our Honda is pretty quiet.

There are alternatives to the tea chest - here's an old favourite of mine. Anyone remember The Lost T-Shirts of Atlantis?

Edited by teej

[quote name='teej' post='886685' date='Jul 5 2010, 09:20 PM']Our Honda is pretty quiet.

There are alternatives to the tea chest - here's an old favourite of mine. Anyone remember The Lost T-Shirts of Atlantis?

[/quote]

Did they used to wear dungarees?

What Honda have you got?

I'd like a nice quiet generator. Not just for bass.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='886734' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:09 PM']Did they used to wear dungarees?

What Honda have you got?

I'd like a nice quiet generator. Not just for bass.[/quote]
Dungarees? May have done. Only saw them a couple of times, and both later than this shot.

Our generator is actually discontinued now, but replaced by this:

[url="http://hondagenerator.co.uk/pages/HondaEU10i.htm"]http://hondagenerator.co.uk/pages/HondaEU10i.htm[/url]

I think people are being a bit pessimistic about the inverter. The guy who did the calculations is probably pretty close ( i can't fault his reasoning) but remember you are not playing full volume continuously, there are loud and quiet bits. My 20W Peavey practice amp almost matches a drumkit when we practice in an enclosed practice space and even, say, 5W will be louder than an acoustic bass and more than match an acoustic guitar. If you turn it down it should give you a lot more battery life and are you really going to play longer than a two hour set.

I'd try it and if it runs flat too quickly you can always connect it to a car battery for more life.

[quote name='teej' post='886784' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:36 PM']Our generator is actually discontinued now, but replaced by this:

[url="http://hondagenerator.co.uk/pages/HondaEU10i.htm"]http://hondagenerator.co.uk/pages/HondaEU10i.htm[/url][/quote]

V. posh. I'd imagine that would do the trick nicely.

There are some cheaper ones about for the OP [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=honda+generator&_sacat=0&_odkw=honda+eui&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313"]ebay[/url]

Thanks to this I'm now thinking about buying a small boat :)