Why become a member? ×

Original 1971 Fender Mustang Bass

fleamail

It's hard to let this go!!

Everything is original on the bass besides one screw at the G tuner. The frets are like new despite from what someone would expect from the whole image of the bass. It has a nitro finish and that is why the paint has gone away so easily. The neck is straight and the bass generaly has no issues what so ever! It plays fantastic and has a great vintage sound, currently with flatwounds!!! I'm the second owner and I bought it last year from a guy from Germany who used it as his main bass at a blues band always playing with a stick as he told me. Serial is 32****

I can't name a price for it, just make me a resonable offer....

Just curious.
See, I know there are many that love that very distressed vintage vibe but if I were buying a vintage bass I'd want it in better cosmetic nick than that. (Not critisising the bass, just thinking out loud.) I happen to think the price suggested is about right too, in that condition, just saying it wouldn't be for me. And I wouldn't want it resprayed, I'd wait for a tidyer one.

How many of us would [i]prefer[/i] that kind of vibe, IF the price was right? Or am I just a heathen?

[quote name='Chop' post='9017' date='May 30 2007, 09:51 AM']Just curious.
See, I know there are many that love that very distressed vintage vibe but if I were buying a vintage bass I'd want it in better cosmetic nick than that. (Not critisising the bass, just thinking out loud.) I happen to think the price suggested is about right too, in that condition, just saying it wouldn't be for me. And I wouldn't want it resprayed, I'd wait for a tidyer one.

How many of us would [i]prefer[/i] that kind of vibe, IF the price was right? Or am I just a heathen?[/quote]

There's always the thought that a vintage bass in really good condition is like that because it's hardly ever been played. And if it's not being played it may be because it's crap. I'd put money on this Mustang sounding terrific ..

[quote name='BB2000' post='9021' date='May 30 2007, 10:03 AM']There's always the thought that a vintage bass in really good condition is like that because it's hardly ever been played. And if it's not being played it may be because it's crap. I'd put money on this Mustang sounding terrific ..[/quote]

So would I !!

[quote name='walbassist' post='9020' date='May 30 2007, 12:01 PM']Nice bass, but weren't Fender all poly finishes by the 70s, rather than nitro?[/quote]

The mustang bass and some guitars(I don't remember which) were still finished with nitro until the late 1972. They switched to cheaper poly after that year. Thas is why you can find some mustang basses in spectacular condition.

Yes sir!!

Here are some with roundwounds
[url="http://www.noiz.gr/modules/My_Uploads/user_folders/fleamail/must3.mp3"]Mustang 1[/url]
[url="http://www.noiz.gr/modules/My_Uploads/user_folders/fleamail/must4.mp3"]Mustang 2[/url]

Here is one with a pick
[url="http://www.noiz.gr/modules/My_Uploads/user_folders/fleamail/must2.mp3"]Mustang Pick[/url]

And some with flatwounds:

[url="http://www.noiz.gr/modules/My_Uploads/user_folders/fleamail/flatmust2.mp3"]Mustang with flats 1[/url]
[url="http://www.noiz.gr/modules/My_Uploads/user_folders/fleamail/flatmust3.mp3"]Mustang with flats 2[/url]

[quote name='ped' post='12412' date='Jun 5 2007, 12:07 PM']It sounds very nice indeed. Ver earthy and rich. Woul love to hear some slap bass on it!![/quote]

And how about some salsa.....?
Only joking, nice growly tone there, like it, lovely bass al round I'd imagine
Chris

[quote name='fleamail' post='12559' date='Jun 5 2007, 03:40 PM']It is close to a Precision.[/quote]

God I wish it looked like a Precision as well. That is without doubt the most mojo'd bass Ive seen in years and - as has been pointed out above - a bass that well played is a sign that it probably sounds amazing (either that or it was played by one clumsy musician) :)

Can't believe it's still here, reckon if you put it on ebay it would be gone in seconds
Chris

Edited by Beedster

I am a bit of tired of selling to ebay! I had 3 bad experiences in a row and I want to take a brake from there!

Plus its hard for me to give this away, at least if I sell it here I will now that it would be in good hands!

[quote name='fleamail' post='13001' date='Jun 6 2007, 01:08 PM']Plus its hard for me to give this away, at least if I sell it here I will now that it would be in good hands![/quote]

...and if you want it back one day there's a fair chance you'll get it :)

• 2 weeks later...