Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass

DaveMuadDib

Ok guys, my GAS build-up is close to detonation in regards to the OTB. It reminds me of the olden times when I used to play that horrible twangy 6-string tenor bass, at which point all I ever wanted was an Orange amp. This became a distant memory when I switched to real bass, and for months I've been quite happy with my Markbass LMII running through either my Peavey 4x10 or my TC Electronic 2X12. But now I've found out about the Orange Terror Bass 500, everything has changed. Everything has come flooding back. I WANT ONE.

Everything about it looks and sounds awesome, and from the clips I've watched, it seems like it's a direct highway to the sound I've always been after.

The only thing that's frightening me about it is this DI problem I've been hearing about. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it really painfully hot, or is this something they've fixed now? I want this to be my gigging amp, but it's a pretty major flaw if it's unusable in a live situation :-\

Edited by Dave_MuadDib

I do most of my shows with my OTB, and some sound guys have said the DI of the amp is quite hot, but a DI box usually sorts that out. Others haven't had a problem. I guess they just pad it on the desk...... If you can get up to Brum, you can try mine out.

[quote name='yorick' post='883735' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:11 AM']I do most of my shows with my OTB, and some sound guys have said the DI of the amp is quite hot, but a DI box usually sorts that out. Others haven't had a problem. I guess they just pad it on the desk...... If you can get up to Brum, you can try mine out.[/quote]

+1

Played quite a few gigs with mine now and I think I've only used the DI once, and no comment was made on it being hot. TBH, a lot of venues will get you to use their DI rather than the DI on the back of an amp unless you specifically ask to use your own - just my experience.

Get the OTB now!! You wont regrett it :)

If you have an issue after purchase, just buy a seperate DI box!
Problem solved :)

My OTB is awesome, love it, but when I'm going through a PA, I'll just use my Sansamp in front of it. Take the DI from the sansamp and run the parallel out (dry out) to the Orange for my onstage sound.
This way it acts in two ways, I have seperate control of tone onstage and out front, one doesn't affect the other, plus if for any reason my amp dies....I still have a FOH signal.

Si

[quote name='gafbass02' post='883794' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:57 AM']Hah hah. Sorry Dave, That was an expensive pint for a guy that only drank soda water! ! But I'm sure it's the amp for you :0)[/quote]

Have a look at the list of gear in my signature and tell me how much of this expenditure you are not directly responsible for? Bad Gaf! :-)

haha, well yeah, thanks for your advice everyone, there's one on its way to me now. Gaf - Try and keep yourself free on Monday/Tuesday evening (with any luck...)

[quote name='yorick' post='883735' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:11 AM']I do most of my shows with my OTB, and some sound guys have said the DI of the amp is quite hot, but a DI box usually sorts that out. Others haven't had a problem. I guess they just pad it on the desk...... If you can get up to Brum, you can try mine out.[/quote]

Much appreciate the offer, but I've just gone and bought one anyway, haha! I'm sold, it sounds awesome from the clips I've heard, and everyone is raving about it. I've also picked up the 40db attenuator from studiospares just incase it proves to be handy. 7 quid delivered(!)

Now I've just got to shift the Little Mark II in some vague attempt to afford this :)

[quote name='Dubs' post='883748' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:20 AM']+1

Played quite a few gigs with mine now and I think I've only used the DI once, and no comment was made on it being hot. TBH, a lot of venues will get you to use their DI rather than the DI on the back of an amp unless you specifically ask to use your own - just my experience.[/quote]

This is where my inexperience shines through - I've traditionally either been a rig-leach or just plugged straight into the PA or just let the sound tech sort it out :-D

[quote name='Dubs' post='883748' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:20 AM']Get the OTB now!! You wont regrett it :)[/quote]

Done :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sibob' post='883778' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:40 AM']My OTB is awesome, love it, but when I'm going through a PA, I'll just use my Sansamp in front of it. Take the DI from the sansamp and run the parallel out (dry out) to the Orange for my onstage sound.
This way it acts in two ways, I have seperate control of tone onstage and out front, one doesn't affect the other, plus if for any reason my amp dies....I still have a FOH signal.[/quote]

I totally can't afford a SansAmp at the moment (especially now!!), as much as I would love one, but that sounds like a great idea - it's gone straight to the top of my xmas present list.

Edited by Dave_MuadDib

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='883847' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:11 PM']Hi Dave. I see from your signature tou've got a TCRS212.

I play my Terror through and RS210 and an RS112 and it sounds glorious. The TC cabs are a very good match to my ears,[/quote]

:wub:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear!! And that's exactly the rig I want! PLEASE don't make me buy an RS210 just yet! I'm skint enough as it is :)

In your opinion, does the Terror -> RS212 pack enough punch for most conceivable live situations? I'm hoping these two will be my best friends for the next few years...

EDIT: D'OH - in a rage of GAS, I misread your RS112 as an RS212. My bad! But my two main points of consideration are RS212+RS210 or RS212+RS112

Edited by Dave_MuadDib

The RS210 can handle all gigs I do without PA support with plenty to spare. My drummers a noisy sod too.
The RS112 just gives a bit more low end. I use it on its own at rehearsals for the portability and it still keeps up fine at 3/10 on the master volume.
I should imagine the RS212 will be more than OK unless you're in a twelve piece doom metal band or something.

Well, I got one in the post today from DV247 - excellent service!

However, the head is a brick :) Doesn't switch on at all, no fan noise, no LED, nothing. It's just typical for everything that I embark in to go horribly wrong lol.

I've dropped them an email, so hopefully they should get it sorted and swap it out asap. Can't say it's hugely encouraging though!